Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocks slipping off Damp proof course

I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

MN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"Mark Nicholls" wrote in message
I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

Friction.

and if it's a garden wall, you don't put a damp proof course in it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Nicholls wrote:
I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

A layer of mortar UNDER the DPC.

That increases the friction enough and the weight above does the rest.

MN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 19, 11:15 pm, "Mark Nicholls"
wrote:
I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

MN

The weight.
The DPC should also be textured, so there is plenty of friction.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...
wrote:
I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

MN

The weight.

Nah! It's _gravity_ what does it. No gravity -no 'weight' !

The DPC should also be textured, so there is plenty of friction.

Rick

Sometimes I contemplate how houses remain upright a and more-or-less
stationary just resting on their damp proof course. The average house is
tethered by a flexible electricity cable; a telephone cable; perhaps a gas
pipe ; the water main; the soil pipe ; .. perhaps a cable provider's line
..... it's not much but thanks to 'Big G's, little 'g'; it's sufficient.

Big G = God
Little g = gravity.

Engineers use it a lot; it's normally denominated on Bills-of-Material with
a quantity of 'AR'
'As required' . [Luckily one never seems to run out of it, Perhaps the
texture on DPC is to enable the gravity to 'stick' to it.?]
--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 23:56:25 +0100, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"Mark Nicholls" wrote in message
I must be missing something
I have a straight wall made of flat blocks
I put in a dpc

So I have from the top
Blocks
Mortar
Plastic
Block
Mortar
Block etc

What stops the top bricks (above the dpc) slipping off the wall.

I.e. there is nothing fixing the dpc to the brick it is resting on

Or have I missed something?

Friction.

and if it's a garden wall, you don't put a damp proof course in it.

I had an experience like this a few months ago with a brick pillar.
It was two and a half courses of bricks square and at the centre of the
garage opening to support two single width doors with a lintel over
each. This was to be converted to a double width door and of course
single lintel.

The new lintel was duly fitted into place after propping and supported
on pillars on each end, thus leaving a gap below the steel in the
centre and the two door frames attached to a side pillar and the centre
one. This was completed a couple of weeks before the delivery and
fitting of the new door.

On the day before, I removed the old doors and frames, leaving the
centre pillar in splendid isolation. I'd assembled some timbers and
sheets of OSB for boarding up and a barrow for the bricks and a
tarpaulin to catch the bits of brick, plus trusty SDS drill with spade
bit.

I was quite looking forward to this small bit of demolition work, but
sadly it was not to be.

At the first contact with the pillar, the whole thing wobbled. I was
able to push it over easily whereupon it broke into 4 or 5 big chunks.
Of course, there was DPC material sitting underneath it on the
concrete footing.

I was still able to break up the chunks with the SDS, but it wasn't the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...

wrote:
[...]

Actually the brick bonding holds it in a box section and the overall
weight keeps it in place. As each wall can only drift off in one
direction, it is countered by the opposite wall.

That is why buttresses and trusses are incorporated in the design. And
why all that hassle is raised in modern roofing when people want to
utilise the roof-space as utility or living room.

The laws of motion imply that nothing will move without good reason or
stop without an opposite one. Or adjust the course of said movement
without yet more reason.

Movement is very reasonable.

But not for houses.

Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
cut in damp proof course RMBMTM UK diy 1 May 14th 07 07:47 AM
Do I need a damp proof membrane? [email protected] UK diy 11 August 24th 05 09:19 PM
Damp Proof Membrane ..... ? troubleinstore UK diy 7 January 6th 05 07:52 PM
Damp proof membrane tzd3sw UK diy 1 March 5th 04 06:43 AM