Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black/purple paint (aubergine)?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling
not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an
Aubergine - not the red/brown 'aubergine' colour normally found).
Basically a black with a hint of purple (like a real Aubergine?? I'm
trying to paint my boat this colour but cant find a dark enough purple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"macson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling
not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an
Aubergine - not the red/brown 'aubergine' colour normally found).
Basically a black with a hint of purple (like a real Aubergine?? I'm
trying to paint my boat this colour but cant find a dark enough purple.

Buy three tins of paint of the same brand... Blue, Red, Black

mix the blue and red together first 50/50 and then start adding the black
sparingly till you get the colour you require.
....or just go to a shop that mixes it for you. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com
macson wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling
not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an
Aubergine - not the red/brown 'aubergine' colour normally found).
Basically a black with a hint of purple (like a real Aubergine?? I'm
trying to paint my boat this colour but cant find a dark enough purple.

I've lurking in this group for a while but not actually managed to post
anything yet.

Depending on the type of boat you have I would be more concerned about
identifying the correct (marine) paint to use than just the colour and
then see what's available in that range, normally marine type paint is
either a single stage polyurethane or two stage acrylic.

The early types of household paint where linseed oil but they are now
nearly all Alkyd resin based which just might suffice your requirement,
either way you can have the paint mixed and matched at car paint mixing
factors, although I think the marine type of paints tend to be standard
premix meaning you have little choice in the actual range of colour.

There's several purple colours in the BS-381c or RAL range that may suit
but I couldn't say if they would stand up to the marine environment.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jul, 17:04, macson wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling
not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an
Aubergine

Go to Sainsbury's (* other supermarkets are available).
Buy Aubergine.
Take Aubergine to D-I-Y store where operative will point their 'paint-
colour-analyser-wand-thingy' at it and then produce you a tin of paint
to match.

.... yes.. seriously!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:

That sort of colour is often two tone: to get the right effect (looks
black until a bright light shines on it) you might try painting black
and then covering with a tinted varnish.

Aubergine when done in two-tone paint is IIRC done with a blue basecoat
and a red transparent varnish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
djc wrote:

That sort of colour is often two tone: to get the right effect (looks
black until a bright light shines on it) you might try painting black
and then covering with a tinted varnish.

Aubergine when done in two-tone paint is IIRC done with a blue basecoat
and a red transparent varnish.

Yes, that sounds right, filter out the red, reflect off the blue base,
filter out some more red: result near black apart from some refraction
through the top coat.

--
djc