Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Hull Stephen Hull is offline

Default Black/purple paint (aubergine)?

In message .com
macson wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling
not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an
Aubergine - not the red/brown 'aubergine' colour normally found).
Basically a black with a hint of purple (like a real Aubergine?? I'm
trying to paint my boat this colour but cant find a dark enough purple.

I've lurking in this group for a while but not actually managed to post
anything yet.

Depending on the type of boat you have I would be more concerned about
identifying the correct (marine) paint to use than just the colour and
then see what's available in that range, normally marine type paint is
either a single stage polyurethane or two stage acrylic.

The early types of household paint where linseed oil but they are now
nearly all Alkyd resin based which just might suffice your requirement,
either way you can have the paint mixed and matched at car paint mixing
factors, although I think the marine type of paints tend to be standard
premix meaning you have little choice in the actual range of colour.

There's several purple colours in the BS-381c or RAL range that may suit
but I couldn't say if they would stand up to the marine environment.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes