David P

Default Black fence paint

I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in
my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.

I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden
Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about =A315.

Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?

BigWallop

"David P" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in
my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.

I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden
Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about £15.

Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?

Simple black emulsion paint, then a coat of a good quality varnish to seal
it in.

Uno Hoo!

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"David P" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in
my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.

I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden
Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about £15.

Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?

Simple black emulsion paint, then a coat of a good quality varnish to seal
it in.

You could always coat it in old engine oil. Very cheap, very protective, and
very black!!! (Just don't lean up against it!)

Kev

David P

Surely oil would stink?!

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require
less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Christian McArdle

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require
less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Yes, outdoor fence painting is particularly suited to spray application.
Ensure you dilute the paint as directed.

Christian.

Uno Hoo!

"David P" wrote in message
ups.com...
Surely oil would stink?!

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require
less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Actually it doesn't. I know my posting was partly 'tongue in cheek' but
going back a few years this was a fairly common practice. The old engine
oil was a cheap and less smelly alternative to creosote. The only downside
was the black colour, but as that is what you actually
want.......................... !!

Kev

Jeff

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"David P" wrote in message
ups.com...
Surely oil would stink?!

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require
less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Actually it doesn't. I know my posting was partly 'tongue in cheek' but
going back a few years this was a fairly common practice. The old engine
oil was a cheap and less smelly alternative to creosote. The only downside
was the black colour, but as that is what you actually
want.......................... !!

Years ago people used to mix it with creosote

downsides :-
carcenogenic
mixed with creosote it rubs off onto clothes hands etc
used neat it would never dry
its got to smell, open your filler cap on your engine and take a whif (after
6000 miles)

upsides :-
errr

Regards Jeff

David P

So perhaps just buy the Garden Shades stuff and spray it?

Chris Bacon

Jeff wrote:
Years ago people used to mix it [OIL] with creosote

downsides :-
carcenogenic
mixed with creosote it rubs off onto clothes hands etc
used neat it would never dry
its got to smell, open your filler cap on your engine and take a whif (after
6000 miles)

upsides :-
errr

I agree with that, it stinks for evermore, and rubs off on things. The
only way to deal with it is to rip the fence down, and get rid of it.
Might be OK if far enough away from people to not matter. In your
garden, don't. Use creosote instead (well, the version you can buy
now, anyway, which is still better than other stuff).
Pete C

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:47:54 +0100, "Jeff" wrote:

Surely oil would stink?!

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require
less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Actually it doesn't. I know my posting was partly 'tongue in cheek' but
going back a few years this was a fairly common practice. The old engine
oil was a cheap and less smelly alternative to creosote. The only downside
was the black colour, but as that is what you actually
want.......................... !!

Years ago people used to mix it with creosote

downsides :-
carcenogenic
mixed with creosote it rubs off onto clothes hands etc
used neat it would never dry
its got to smell, open your filler cap on your engine and take a whif (after
6000 miles)

Hi,

Also it has detergents in so much of it'll wash off into the soil.

cheers,
Pete.

David P

Seems there is no easy solution then - just patience. Wont be done for
the BBQ in 2 weeks time for sure!

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Mild fence property line "dispute" Actor123 Home Ownership 12 February 15th 05 09:36 PM
Incra 1000 SE crosscut fence Rob Mitchell Woodworking 14 February 14th 05 06:43 AM
Excalibur sliding table help needed max Woodworking 8 February 3rd 05 04:09 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM