Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ryobi 50 Piece Screw & Nut Driving Bit Set

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack etc),
slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a pry bar
:-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful

set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack etc),
slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a pry bar
:-)

USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful

set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack etc),
slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a pry bar
:-)

USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a store
in the New World.

Only the bit holder is marked 'made in USA'. I guess that item was sourced
from there and the kit assembled somewhere else.

Excellent kit though, used in anger today & very good.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 22:34:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful

set,

really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack etc),
slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a pry bar
:-)

USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a store
in the New World.

Only the bit holder is marked 'made in USA'. I guess that item was sourced
from there and the kit assembled somewhere else.

Excellent kit though, used in anger today & very good.

I've a feeling that one of the US companies has a patent on magnetic
hex bit holders but can't remember who

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 22:34:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Err no, unless you just mean those that have a both a male and female
hex bit (such as those for use in drills), many people make magnetic
screw drivers that all use standard hex bits.

As for Pozi-drive bits and screws, whilst at one time that were no
that common in the USA they have been around in the USA for years and
most US tool manufactures have made such bits for years - they have
certainly been a standard item in the Snap-on catalogue for well over
30 years. If any screw head and driver bit still has a patent
restricting it's manufacture it's the '+' Phillips drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 22:34:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

In the context here, that is what I meant - it was a set of bits and a
holder, not a screwdriver.

As for Pozi-drive bits and screws, whilst at one time that were no
that common in the USA they have been around in the USA for years and
most US tool manufactures have made such bits for years - they have
certainly been a standard item in the Snap-on catalogue for well over
30 years. If any screw head and driver bit still has a patent
restricting it's manufacture it's the '+' Phillips drive.

Be that as it may, PZ is not found in Home Centers like Home Depot or
Lowes in the form of tools or screws when I've looked and I haven't
seen it mentioned in connection with contractor use either. It's one
thing to make something for export and another to use it domestically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 22:59:51 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-18 22:34:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

There is not much difference between design of a magnetic hex drive
tool for a drill and one for a screw driver.

As for Pozi-drive bits and screws, whilst at one time that were no
that common in the USA they have been around in the USA for years
and
most US tool manufactures have made such bits for years - they have
certainly been a standard item in the Snap-on catalogue for well
over
30 years. If any screw head and driver bit still has a patent
restricting it's manufacture it's the '+' Phillips drive.

Be that as it may, PZ is not found in Home Centers like Home Depot
or Lowes in the form of tools or screws when I've looked and I
haven't seen it mentioned in connection with contractor use either.
It's one thing to make something for export and another to use it
domestically.

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers they are not used in the USA,
hmmm. Could it be more likely that you just have never come across
them?... As for trying to whizel out by now using the word
'domestically' is plain for all to see!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as popular
as over here. Not rocket science is it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 00:06:04 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Be that as it may, PZ is not found in Home Centers like Home Depot
or Lowes in the form of tools or screws when I've looked and I
haven't seen it mentioned in connection with contractor use either.
It's one thing to make something for export and another to use it
domestically.

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers they are not used in the USA,
hmmm.

I don't think that what I wrote above actually says that.

Could it be more likely that you just have never come across
them?...

That's precisely what I said.

As for trying to whizel out by now using the word
'domestically' is plain for all to see!

"Domestically" was used in the context of manufacture and together with
the word "export"

The meaning of "domestic" is thus as U.S. manufacturers use it.
They refer to their domestic market and to their export or
international market.

Therefore the use of "domestic" does not refer to something used in the
home, bought from HD or Lowes.

Had I intended that use of the word, I would have used the words
"trade", "professional" or "contractor" as the alternative to
"domestic" in my last sentence.

To avoid misunderstanding, it would be helpful if you would read what
was actually written rather than what you thought or hoped was written.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as
popular as over here. Not rocket science is it?

I suggest that you read Mr Hall's original (implied) comment;

quote
USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.
/quote

As if, just because he hasn't seen the use of pozidrive screws or bits
the tools mentioned couldn't possibly have been mad in the USA. He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent that
means only US companies can make them, he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a gale...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 06:10:24 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as
popular as over here. Not rocket science is it?

I suggest that you read Mr Hall's original (implied) comment;

quote
USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.
/quote

As if, just because he hasn't seen the use of pozidrive screws or bits
the tools mentioned couldn't possibly have been mad in the USA.

I neither said nor implied any such thing.

He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent that
means only US companies can make them,

I had found something about patents on magnetic bit holders for drills
some time ago. The issue wasn't important enough to look for that
again.

he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a gale...

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem to
have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 06:10:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as
popular as over here. Not rocket science is it?

I suggest that you read Mr Hall's original (implied) comment;

quote
USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.
/quote

As if, just because he hasn't seen the use of pozidrive screws or
bits
the tools mentioned couldn't possibly have been mad in the USA.

I neither said nor implied any such thing.

Yes you did, not only egocentric but a blatant liar, what else could
"USA made and has PZ bits?" mean?

He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent that
means only US companies can make them,

I had found something about patents on magnetic bit holders for
drills some time ago. The issue wasn't important enough to look for
that again.

he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a
gale...

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem
to have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

Stop talking about yourself all the time Mr Hall....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:08:48 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem to
have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

On this topic (since you raised it), in another thread you cleraly need
to learn the correct spelling (in context) of the word 'discreet'!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

On this topic (since you raised it), in another thread you
cleraly need to learn the correct spelling (in context) of the
word 'discreet'!

Harmer's Law:- Originally put forward by Brian Harmer
of WYSIWYG fame.

Any spelling or grammar correction on usenet is liable
to itself carry spelling or grammar mistakes. :-)

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:07:00 UTC, Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

On this topic (since you raised it), in another thread you
cleraly need to learn the correct spelling (in context) of the
word 'discreet'!

Harmer's Law:- Originally put forward by Brian Harmer
of WYSIWYG fame.

Any spelling or grammar correction on usenet is liable
to itself carry spelling or grammar mistakes. :-)

Yes, but was just a typo!

(if it wasn't a typo, it was a 'second generation' invocation of the
law...)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful

set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack
etc), slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a
pry bar :-)

USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.

Just asked the question on a USA dominated woodwork group. Seems that Pozi
bits are comparitely rare in the USA, mainly found on 'European' stuff.
Phillips are predominant it seems.

Strange...

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

Yes, but was just a typo!

I believe you.

(if it wasn't a typo, it was a 'second generation' invocation of
the law...)

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...riving-Bit-Set

Useful

set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack
etc), slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a
pry bar :-)

USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.

Just asked the question on a USA dominated woodwork group. Seems
that Pozi bits are comparitely rare in the USA, mainly found on
'European' stuff. Phillips are predominant it seems.

Strange...

It could just be that they actually don't know what each are, many
people don't know the difference between the 'Phillips' head and the
'pozidrive' head, not helped by the fact that most cheap cross head
screwdrivers have the Phillips head due to the fact that a Phillips
head driver will work on both types so unless they actually have the
need to use the benefits of the pozidrive they may never have to
actually buy a pozidrive screwdriver!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 06:10:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as
popular as over here. Not rocket science is it?

I suggest that you read Mr Hall's original (implied) comment;

quote
USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.
/quote

As if, just because he hasn't seen the use of pozidrive screws or
bits
the tools mentioned couldn't possibly have been mad in the USA.

I neither said nor implied any such thing.

Yes you did, not only egocentric but a blatant liar, what else could
"USA made and has PZ bits?" mean?

Oh dear. Clearly you are having difficulties today. The point was
made with a question mark on the end. That means that the point is
made as a question or as a tentative suggestion rather than as a
definitive statement.

He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent that
means only US companies can make them,

I had found something about patents on magnetic bit holders for
drills some time ago. The issue wasn't important enough to look for
that again.

he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a
gale...

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem
to have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

Stop talking about yourself all the time Mr Hall....

There's really no point in responding to that remark....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 07:42:41 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:08:48 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem to
have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

On this topic (since you raised it), in another thread you cleraly need
to learn the correct spelling (in context) of the word 'discreet'!

Yes you are quite right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 07:27:10 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-19 06:10:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

[...]

It was also followed be a statement that left no doubt that you
consider that the USA and pozidrive don't and have never mixed.

That means that the point is
made as a question or as a tentative suggestion rather than as a
definitive statement.

So will you now admit that are wrong?

He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent
that
means only US companies can make them,

I had found something about patents on magnetic bit holders for
drills some time ago. The issue wasn't important enough to look
for
that again.

he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a
gale...

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem
to have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

Stop talking about yourself all the time Mr Hall....

There's really no point in responding to that remark....

No, as you have no reply other than your tired straw man in a gale
arguments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 09:16:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Over the last day, I've made some similar enquiries with similar
woodworking groups in the U.S. to which I belong and which include a
number of professional furniture makers and contractors.

The feedback that I have had is that other than slotted screws,
Phillips is by far the most common type of screw in use in the U.S. in
the professional and consumer markets.

Pozidriv is known about by a few but the perception, right or wrong is
of little real value in comparison to Phillips. ~Some of the
individuals were aware of Torx screws and a few had bought them - the
improved resilience to cam-out was appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 07:27:10 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-19 06:10:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

[...]

No it wasn't.

That means that the point is
made as a question or as a tentative suggestion rather than as a
definitive statement.

So will you now admit that are wrong?

No because in what I said, I was not wrong. The point was made
tentatively and as a question. By definition, only an answer or a
statement can be right or wrong.

He
then tries to claim that some how the bit holder has a patent
that
means only US companies can make them,

I had found something about patents on magnetic bit holders for
drills some time ago. The issue wasn't important enough to look
for
that again.

he then decides that he meant
'domestically' - all whezel words from a straw man caught in a
gale...

Unfortunately, not only are you unable to spell, but you also seem
to have difficulty with the contextual use of words.

Stop talking about yourself all the time Mr Hall....

There's really no point in responding to that remark....

No, as you have no reply other than your tired straw man in a gale
arguments.

Yawn....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

Pozidriv is known about by a few but the perception, right or wrong
is of little real value in comparison to Phillips. ~Some of the
individuals were aware of Torx screws and a few had bought them -
the improved resilience to cam-out was appreciated.

As I said before, the fact that it's quite possible that these self
same people could well have used pozidrive without realising as a
Phillips driver will fit any pozidrive screw of equal head #. Also,
your original comment was in relation to the manufacture and sale of
pozidrive bits in the USA so trying to limit the discussion to
woodworking is silly - woodworkers are not the only people who use
screwdrivers!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Yawn....

Did the Crows keep you up late last night then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 11:12:57 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

Pozidriv is known about by a few but the perception, right or wrong
is of little real value in comparison to Phillips. ~Some of the
individuals were aware of Torx screws and a few had bought them -
the improved resilience to cam-out was appreciated.

As I said before, the fact that it's quite possible that these self
same people could well have used pozidrive without realising as a
Phillips driver will fit any pozidrive screw of equal head #.

That is well known, but I am quite confident that the people who I
asked about this know the difference.

Also,
your original comment was in relation to the manufacture and sale of
pozidrive bits in the USA so trying to limit the discussion to
woodworking is silly - woodworkers are not the only people who use
screwdrivers!

Of course not, which is why I asked contractors as well and explained that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 11:20:50 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Yawn....

Did the Crows keep you up late last night then?

No, and I didn't go to the pantomime either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So, because Home Depot and Lowes (but not forgetting Wal-Mart...)
don't stock pozidrive screws or drivers

It should be pretty obvious that they are not anything like as
popular as over here. Not rocket science is it?

I suggest that you read Mr Hall's original (implied) comment;

Implied? Why do I get the feeling you just read what you want to,
regardless of what is actually written?

quote
USA made and has PZ bits? I've never seen PZ bits in any set in a
store in the New World.
/quote

As if, just because he hasn't seen the use of pozidrive screws or bits
the tools mentioned couldn't possibly have been mad in the USA. He

Where did he say that?

To me it sounded like an expression of surprise that the USA made set
had pozi bits, when they are not often found on the domestic USA market.
i.e. A remark of "oh, that is unusual".

Does it really require 15 posts of deep analysis from you Jetty?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 18 Jul, 09:16, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
B&Q have these at £10:98 - as opposed to about £20 elsewhere.http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...bi-50-Piece-Sc...

Useful set, really nice (USA made) bit holder, one of those screw guide
things, loads of bits inc pozi, phillips (very useful for flatpack etc),
slotted, hex, torx & nut drivers.

Nice case as well, you can actually remove things without using a pry bar
:-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I got one a few months back in a B&Q offer for £9.98 IIRC. Bloody good
and useful set.

Odd thing is that the nut drivers in this set don't stay in the Ryobi
impact driver chuck though

And who managed to get hold of the Ryobi drill, angle drill, case, 2
batts and charger for £65 last week? Damn good bargain that was.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

There's really no point in responding to that remark....

No, as you have no reply other than your tired straw man in a gale
arguments.

Yawn....

Zzzzzz....

Don't reply to the knob any more Andy, it will just encourage him.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 11:12:57 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

Pozidriv is known about by a few but the perception, right or wrong
is of little real value in comparison to Phillips. ~Some of the
individuals were aware of Torx screws and a few had bought them -
the improved resilience to cam-out was appreciated.

As I said before, the fact that it's quite possible that these self
same people could well have used pozidrive without realising as a
Phillips driver will fit any pozidrive screw of equal head #.

That is well known, but I am quite confident that the people who I
asked about this know the difference.

The people I asked were also aware of the difference.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-19 20:28:04 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

There's really no point in responding to that remark....

No, as you have no reply other than your tired straw man in a gale
arguments.

Yawn....

Zzzzzz....

Don't reply to the knob any more Andy, it will just encourage him.

I know. One can only do so much....