Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting slabs - follow-up.

On 2007-07-16 10:42:38 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Lada might have been a better bet. Same jokes, but more accurate.
Skoda have been around for over a century producing a lot more than
cars. I guess their business plan can't have been that bad.

Whatever. That degree of accuracy is unnecessary for joke
purposes. There are Skoda jokes and that's all that's required.

Keep digging Andy,

Do you want me to pass you on the way?

there are also jokes about people having to dress
in yellow when using their DeWalt tools...

Really.

A joke that is factually incorrect only make fun of one person, the
idiot telling it...

Now who's digging? ~That's patently untrue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:40:42 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

No.... have done in the past.

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Not really.

So you did drive an Audi but not really, yes that's as clear as mud...

Have you driven an Audi - yes or no?
Have you owned an Audi - yes or no?

Yes to the first question. Technically no to the second because it
was on a two year lease and I didn't buy it at the end of the lease.

Some people may describe that as "own" in the sense that there was a
financial commitment of longer than a short term rental. Whether I used
my money and bought and sold the car as opposed to using someone else's
money is somewhat academic.

The original answers were therefore completely correct. I don't drive
or own an Audi (this is called present tense). I did in the past
(this is called past tense).

The "not really" obviously related to whether or not you were correct,
since that was your nearest sentence to the remark. You were 'not
really' correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:26:14 +0100, "
said:

That's interesting. You seem to be saying that a car can be suitable
for a particular profile of use, but a tool can't.

MBQ

I haven't said that at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 13:03:25 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip
Even the 911 I had for a while did nothing for me - I think they
are boring.

Would appear to have been a bad choice for the intended use

OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use.

The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course if
you are grossly over weight...

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the passenger seat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 09:59:39 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:34:35 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
It doesn't really matter. They may well be good value for
money nowadays, but still have a poor reputation from the
past to live down -

One of the best cars I ever had was my 1995 Skoda Felicia:
bought new for £6800 (list price) and sold to another Skoda
dealer for £4000 cash three years later. Warranty work, one
wiper blade replaced (rivet snapped). Since the VW takeover
they are mighty good cars but if people want to spend loads
more to get the same mechanicals with an Audi badge more fool
them.

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

No.... have done in the past.

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Not really. It just happened to be a reasonable car available on short
delivery when I needed one quickly. I think the one after was a BMW
of some kind and then a Land Rover after that. The only appeal of the
LR is that it is large enough for a lot more items and I can sit above
the height of much of the rest of the traffic.

where you belong

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 13:03:25 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip
Even the 911 I had for a while did nothing for me - I think they
are boring.

Would appear to have been a bad choice for the intended use

OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use.

The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course if
you are grossly over weight...

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the passenger
seat.

The passenger seat is designed primarily for ladies in short skirts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:40:42 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

No.... have done in the past.

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Not really.

So you did drive an Audi but not really, yes that's as clear as
mud...

Have you driven an Audi - yes or no?
Have you owned an Audi - yes or no?

Yes to the first question. Technically no to the second because it
was on a two year lease and I didn't buy it at the end of the lease.

So you have in effect [1] owned and driven an Audi - why did you then
claim that you didn't really?

[1] the registration 'paper trail' would have lead to your front door.

Some people may describe that as "own" in the sense that there was a
financial commitment of longer than a short term rental. Whether I
used my money and bought and sold the car as opposed to using
someone else's money is somewhat academic.

The original answers were therefore completely correct. I don't
drive or own an Audi (this is called present tense). I did in the
past (this is called past tense).

The "not really" obviously related to whether or not you were
correct, since that was your nearest sentence to the remark. You
were 'not really' correct.

More straw Andy?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:26:14 +0100, "
said:

That's interesting. You seem to be saying that a car can be
suitable
for a particular profile of use, but a tool can't.

MBQ

I haven't said that at all.

quote
"OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use."
/quote

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is
sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a more
expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:43:41 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 13:03:25 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip
Even the 911 I had for a while did nothing for me - I think they
are boring.

Would appear to have been a bad choice for the intended use

OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use.

The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course
if
you are grossly over weight...

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the
passenger seat.

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount of
luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a victim of
fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:43:41 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 13:03:25 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip
Even the 911 I had for a while did nothing for me - I think they
are boring.
Would appear to have been a bad choice for the intended use
OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use.

The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course
if
you are grossly over weight...

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the
passenger seat.

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount of
luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a victim of
fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!

Not in Germany though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

No.... have done in the past.

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Not really.

So you did drive an Audi but not really, yes that's as clear as
mud...

Have you driven an Audi - yes or no?
Have you owned an Audi - yes or no?

Yes to the first question. Technically no to the second because it
was on a two year lease and I didn't buy it at the end of the lease.

So you have in effect [1] owned and driven an Audi - why did you then
claim that you didn't really?

Are you trying to be the new Drivel?

As for straw, I see you have shifted your ground to "owned" and "driven"
away from your original "drives"

[1] the registration 'paper trail' would have lead to your front door.

Which as you know has nothing to do with ownership.

Some people may describe that as "own" in the sense that there was a
financial commitment of longer than a short term rental. Whether I
used my money and bought and sold the car as opposed to using
someone else's money is somewhat academic.

The original answers were therefore completely correct. I don't
drive or own an Audi (this is called present tense). I did in the
past (this is called past tense).

The "not really" obviously related to whether or not you were
correct, since that was your nearest sentence to the remark. You
were 'not really' correct.

More straw Andy?...

Made perfect sense to most of us.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[re Porsche 911 ]

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the
passenger seat.

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount
of luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a
victim of fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!

Not in Germany though

????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is
sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a more
expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of use?

You seem to assume that when Andy say's *he* would not purchase a Lidl
sander because it does not meet *his* particular requirements, that this
is a instruction that no one else should either.

Most of us have minds of our own, and can make choices such as this
based on our own requirements. Andy's selection criteria is right for
him, and possibly others. Feel free to post your own criteria if you
think it would be useful. Why spend so much effort attempting to "prove"
that someone else's stated criteria is in some way invalid. Its not even
a judgement you get to make, you can only choose for you.

These arguments have been very well rehearsed in the past to the point
of tedium. In fact we even wrote a FAQ on it:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/policy.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is
sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a
more expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of
use?

You seem to assume that when Andy say's *he* would not purchase a
Lidl sander because it does not meet *his* particular requirements,
that this is a instruction that no one else should either.

Well considering that he is constant in his criticism, derision and
sniping at anyone who suggests, has or advises others that such a
purchase might be suitable he is actually not far off doing so.

Most of us have minds of our own, and can make choices such as this
based on our own requirements. Andy's selection criteria is right
for him, and possibly others. Feel free to post your own criteria if
you think it would be useful. Why spend so much effort attempting to
"prove" that someone else's stated criteria is in some way invalid.
Its not even a judgement you get to make, you can only choose for
you.

You are of course quite correct, so why does Andy spend so much time
doing the same?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[re Porsche 911 ]

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the
passenger seat.

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount
of luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a
victim of fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!

Not in Germany though

????

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is
sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a
more expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of
use?

You seem to assume that when Andy say's *he* would not purchase a
Lidl sander because it does not meet *his* particular requirements,
that this is a instruction that no one else should either.

Well considering that he is constant in his criticism, derision and
sniping at anyone who suggests, has or advises others that such a
purchase might be suitable he is actually not far off doing so.

I presume he reiterates his position many times over because people keep
posting to question it. If you don't want to keep hearing the answer,
stop asking the question.

Most of us have minds of our own, and can make choices such as this
based on our own requirements. Andy's selection criteria is right
for him, and possibly others. Feel free to post your own criteria if
you think it would be useful. Why spend so much effort attempting to
"prove" that someone else's stated criteria is in some way invalid.
Its not even a judgement you get to make, you can only choose for
you.

You are of course quite correct, so why does Andy spend so much time
doing the same?...

Because you keep asking? Ask him.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

snip
If you don't want to keep hearing the answer, stop asking the
question.

Well with that rational it won't be long before uk.diy closes the
shutters for the last time...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:40:42 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

No.... have done in the past.

Ah, so I was sort of correct...

Not really.

So you did drive an Audi but not really, yes that's as clear as
mud...

Have you driven an Audi - yes or no?
Have you owned an Audi - yes or no?

Yes to the first question. Technically no to the second because it
was on a two year lease and I didn't buy it at the end of the lease.

So you have in effect [1] owned and driven an Audi - why did you then
claim that you didn't really?

[1] the registration 'paper trail' would have lead to your front door.

Read the thread very carefully.

"What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi? "

Response: No.... I have done in the past.

Comment: "No" means that I don't now. Present tense. Correct
Comment2: "have done in the past". Past tense. Also correct. I
drove one in the past. You didn't mention the question of ownership.
Therefore you weren't correct.

I did not claim that I had not driven one, nor did I claim that I had
never owned one.

Some people may describe that as "own" in the sense that there was a
financial commitment of longer than a short term rental. Whether I
used my money and bought and sold the car as opposed to using
someone else's money is somewhat academic.

The original answers were therefore completely correct. I don't
drive or own an Audi (this is called present tense). I did in the
past (this is called past tense).

The "not really" obviously related to whether or not you were
correct, since that was your nearest sentence to the remark. You
were 'not really' correct.

More straw Andy?...

You seem to have quite a lot to hand out but I'll decline since you
will need it to make the bed that you are laying on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:26:14 +0100, "
said:

That's interesting. You seem to be saying that a car can be
suitable
for a particular profile of use, but a tool can't.

MBQ

I haven't said that at all.

quote
"OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the
time that was the profile of use."
/quote

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is
sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a more
expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of use?

Different comparison. Clearly the issue related to carriage of goods
in a vehicle has to do with its size and shape. There are a completely
different set of factors related to choice and use of power tools which
have been mentioned many times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

:Jerry: wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

[re Porsche 911 ]

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the passenger seat.

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount of
luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a victim of
fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!
Not in Germany though

????

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 15:42:41 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

snip

More straw Andy?...

You seem to have quite a lot to hand out but I'll decline since you
will need it to make the bed that you are laying on.

In your dreams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 17:04:54 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
The last time I looked at a 911 was good for two adults, of course if
you are grossly over weight...

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the passenger seat.

A gentleman never travels with his luggage[1]

Owain

[1] Does this make BA the airline of the aristocracy?

You have to be kidding, although there are a fair number of queens
among the cabin crews.

I did sit next to David Owen once on one of their aeroplanes but I
don't think that would count.

Sitting opposite Princess Mette-Marit on an SAS flight was the
aristocratic experience.

Mind you, BA do quite often seem to manage to deliver luggage using
different aircraft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

No accounting for taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

Very partial to a helping of bratwurst - Aldi do a very nice one.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 21:13:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

No accounting for taste.

Nothing wrong in liking cockles Andy, but a man with your wealth
should really have more class...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 22:06:30 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

Very partial to a helping of bratwurst - Aldi do a very nice one.

The sad thing is that even allegedly pretty good restaurants take
perfectly good ingredients and wreck them.

This even extends to many ethnic restaurants.

The only things that I have found to reasonable are Italian places
actually run by `italians, otherwise it's pretty desperate. For the
last several years, the German restaurant have had massive drops in
sales and the drop in quality is noticable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 21:13:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

No accounting for taste.

Nothing wrong in liking cockles Andy, but a man with your wealth
should really have more class...

I think that you're getting confused with oysters and their origin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 22:18:36 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 21:13:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

No accounting for taste.

Nothing wrong in liking cockles Andy, but a man with your wealth
should really have more class...

I think that you're getting confused with oysters and their origin.

I think you are a pompous ass on an ego trip!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 22:18:36 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 21:13:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

No accounting for taste.

Nothing wrong in liking cockles Andy, but a man with your wealth
should really have more class...

I think that you're getting confused with oysters and their origin.

I think you are a pompous ass on an ego trip!

Oh dear. That really does show how little that you know about
shellfish and their humble history

Traditionally, all of the available shellfish types were sold together
as subsistence food as witness some of the very basic Victorian dishes
using them viz. the East End eel, pie and oyster shops.

Much of the stupid British attitude to seafood in general and oysters
in particular came about as a result of Britain's own oyster industry
being largely screwed up in the early years of the last century.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A283105

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Europe, fruits de mer are widely available,
prepared every which way and not necessarily expensive at all - for
example the almost universal availability of moules at eateries in
Belgium. It's possible to go to fine dining restaurants in France
(with or without Michelin stars) and pay a great deal of money for
oysters prepared in sophisticated ways. Equally, one can go to
virtually any supermarket in France at certain times of the year and
buy a big bucket of them for about 5 euros.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 22:18:36 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 21:13:24 +0100, ":Jerry:"

On 2007-07-16 17:13:36 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

snip

[...]

My wife just picks em up off the beach and eats them. Yuk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 22:34:17 +0100, Owain said:

:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote
Andy isn't fond of German cuisine
Is anybody?

On your planet no, but on Earth plenty do.

Not that many outside Germany, otherwise there'd be MacFritz's
restaurants on every high street.

Owain

Well, there used to be a chain of burger places in Israel called
McDavids (shameless copy of the yellow arches). I don't think they
are there any longer. They had kosher cheeseburgers, IIRC. I
never figured out how that could be achieved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 23:29:44 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Europe, fruits de mer are widely available,
prepared every which way and not necessarily expensive at all - for
example the almost universal availability of moules at eateries in
Belgium. It's possible to go to fine dining restaurants in France
(with or without Michelin stars) and pay a great deal of money for
oysters prepared in sophisticated ways. Equally, one can go to
virtually any supermarket in France at certain times of the year and
buy a big bucket of them for about 5 euros.

My wife just picks em up off the beach and eats them. Yuk.

Hasn't she convinced you that they are not just salty snot then? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, there used to be a chain of burger places in Israel called
McDavids (shameless copy of the yellow arches). I don't think they are
there any longer. They had kosher cheeseburgers, IIRC. I never
figured out how that could be achieved.

Soya 'cheese' product?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 13:27:05 +0100, S Viemeister said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, there used to be a chain of burger places in Israel called
McDavids (shameless copy of the yellow arches). I don't think they
are there any longer. They had kosher cheeseburgers, IIRC. I
never figured out how that could be achieved.

Soya 'cheese' product?

I figured that it would have to be vegetable something......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-16 14:22:00 +0100, Tony Bryer said:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:59:39 +0100 :Jerry: wrote :
What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi?!... :~)

They cost more so they must be better g

Well I don't know. Now that Skodas include the engine as part of the
deal, the difference may not be so much