Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I'm about to mount a loft aerial for TV...

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:27:23 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 22:57:21 UTC, raden wrote:

Basically, I just pointed mine in the direction that all the other
aerials were pointing and then wiggled it about to fine tune it

I'd have done that if there were any consistency! Three different major
directions...only one of which worked for FreeView. Also difficult to
see when inside the loft...!

And what about polarisation ?

I presume that will eliminate at least 33.3% of the options

ISTR that normally main transmitters and repeaters have different
orientations to remove interference

Indeed. But in this case, all three are horizontally polarised....!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:57:20 +0100, MM wrote:

This is a bog-standard 18-element TV aerial from Wilkinsons (£8.99)
and I plan to mount it in the loft space, where even a room aerial
gives excellent reception via the SLx6 Philex aerial booster.

From my bedroom window I can observe the aerial on the chimney of a
neighbouring house. How can I preserve its "angle" as closely as
possible when I mount my aerial? Or isn't the position that critical?

I've been thinking of schooldays when we were given the trigometric
task of working out a tree's height, but I can't think of any
comparable algorithm to transfer the neighbour's aerial's "direction"
to mine. I'll just have to "remember" the position as I climb into my
loft.

Well, it's now done and it is a total success! My picture quality has
never been better and I can now even get a watchable Channel Five,
too. So much cheaper than forking out £170 for the aerial man to
install one on the chimney. Cost to me: Wilkinson 18-element aerial
for weak signal areas: £8.99, pole: £2, Wilko coaxial plugs and
sockets: £2, Wilko 4m of cut-your-own coaxial cable £1, plus a few
sundry screws and clips. DIY at its finest!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:19:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Harry
Bloomfield randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

The method does though rely heavily on the road being straight for long
enough and your house being aligned to that road. Living on a rather
short road with several bends in it and in a house not aligned with the
road, I was struggling to grasp your method.

Or wait until a sunny day, measure the angle of the shadow cast by the
sun at its highest (up to a few minutes before or after 12:00GMT
depending on how far east or west you are of the Greenwich Meridian)
relative to the orientation of your house. You then need to adjust
for the difference between true north and OS grid north (as shown on
your OS map).
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 12:53:42 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost said:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:19:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Harry
Bloomfield randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

The method does though rely heavily on the road being straight for long
enough and your house being aligned to that road. Living on a rather
short road with several bends in it and in a house not aligned with the
road, I was struggling to grasp your method.

Or wait until a sunny day, measure the angle of the shadow cast by the
sun at its highest (up to a few minutes before or after 12:00GMT
depending on how far east or west you are of the Greenwich Meridian)
relative to the orientation of your house. You then need to adjust
for the difference between true north and OS grid north (as shown on
your OS map).

Yes but this only works on the 21st June.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 12:53:42 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost said:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:19:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Harry
Bloomfield randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

The method does though rely heavily on the road being straight for long
enough and your house being aligned to that road. Living on a rather
short road with several bends in it and in a house not aligned with the
road, I was struggling to grasp your method.

Or wait until a sunny day, measure the angle of the shadow cast by the
sun at its highest (up to a few minutes before or after 12:00GMT
depending on how far east or west you are of the Greenwich Meridian)
relative to the orientation of your house. You then need to adjust
for the difference between true north and OS grid north (as shown on
your OS map).

Yes but this only works on the 21st June.

Oh no it doesn't! (it is easier to just use a website that gives you the
compass bearing direct, mind!)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

DAB aerial Andy Burns UK diy 6 May 12th 07 09:56 PM
DAB aerial Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 May 12th 07 01:24 PM
Right TV aerial? Martin Pentreath UK diy 30 June 7th 06 01:28 PM
Aerial cable into loft [email protected] UK diy 12 September 30th 05 03:27 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM