Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch Ixo 3.6V or Ryobi 4.8V or ???

I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe yours is faulty or not taken a full charge yet? I got mine (the
original model) as a freebee with a bosch professional drill, so had
no great expectations of it. Unexpectedly I found it could drive
6*45mm screws into softwood (most of the time), very useful where no
other drive can fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 14:09:49 +0100, NoSpam said:

I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

Dave

Nope/ I tried one at a tool exhibition a little while ago.

The Metabo is respectable in the tiny ones. The DeWalt 7.2v DW920K
(but not the DC600) is much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque limiter.
Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

B&D have introduced a small light easy to hold 6V Impact Driver that has the
same torque as a 12v Makita, 35Nm. B&Q were selling it.

Go for that. Small and powerful
On Ebay at £30 plud P&P
http://tinyurl.com/28zwyd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque limiter.
Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

B&D have introduced a small light easy to hold 6V Impact Driver that has
the
same torque as a 12v Makita, 35Nm. B&Q were selling it.

Go for that. Small and powerful
On Ebay at £30 plud P&P
http://tinyurl.com/28zwyd

The one you want is this. It has a rotary impact driver mechanism.....

Black and Decker KC600H Compact Impact Screwdriver
10 X More Torque (driving power) drives screws flush every time

Features:
Impact Mechanism prevents stripping of screw heads;
easily drives bolts and removes rusty screws
Quick Connect Feature for easy bit change
High speed for drilling pilot holes
Nickelmetalhydride (NiMH) battery technology for longer run time
Powerful yet still compact - less hassle than a bulky drill
Specification:
Voltage 6 V
Battery Type NiMH
Battery 1.6 Ah
Charge time 6-8 h
Max Torque 35 Nm
No load speed 2100 rpm
Beats per Minute 5600 bpm
Chuck size 6.35 mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powe.../catno/KC600H/

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=18246

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

B&D have introduced a small light easy to hold 6V Impact Driver that has
the same torque as a 12v Makita, 35Nm. B&Q were selling it.

Go for that. Small and powerful
On Ebay at £30 plud P&P
http://tinyurl.com/28zwyd

More pearls of wisdom from the advert reader.

Surely an impact driver would be far more suitable?

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

B&D have introduced a small light easy to hold 6V Impact Driver that has
the same torque as a 12v Makita, 35Nm. B&Q were selling it.

Go for that. Small and powerful
On Ebay at £30 plud P&P
http://tinyurl.com/28zwyd

More

Please eff off as you are a worthless troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

Looks interesting - thanks for the info. I bought the Ryobi a couple of
hours ago, if it's no good I'll take it back and try one of these impact
jobbies.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

B&Q sell it:
http://www.diy.com
Type in search box: KC600H , and it comes up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

This B&D is the smallest Impact Driver available at 6v and in physical size.
It does not have exchangeable batteries, only the integrated one and 3 hrs
charge time. This may put many people off. This model is a small palm of
the hand type yet has the same torque, 35Nm, as a 12v Makita drill/driver.
It also does not have a chuck and a slip hex collar, for v quick bit
changes. A nice peice of kit.

In general Impact Drivers have few down-sides. Some say they are too
fierce, spin too much, too crude, etc. There is always a model that counters
that. The Panasonic has a drill driver/Impact Driver all in one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

The various pros and cons are discussed he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
NoSpam wrote:

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

The various pros and cons are discussed he

The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers can do
detailed screwing. Is that on the FAQ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
NoSpam wrote:

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

The various pros and cons are discussed he

The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers can do
detailed screwing. Is that on the FAQ?

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers can't
do detailed screw driving. Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears to be a
collection of old wives tales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
NoSpam wrote:

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

The various pros and cons are discussed he

The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers can't do
detailed screw driving. Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears to be a
collection of old wives tales.

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powe.../catno/KC600H/

The B&D site in the application shots shows it doing cabinet work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers can't
do detailed screw driving. Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears to be a
collection of old wives tales.

Drivel do you actually own and/or have you used that particular B&D
model?

I've used a bosch impact driver regularly for a couple of years and I
know that faq is very fair in it's description of impact drivers.

At first I used to think some of the regular posters on here were a
bit harsh on you.

Now I think they're justified.

Your unfounded dogma varies wildly from the many experienced
individuals expressing well balanced views.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers
can't
do detailed screw driving. Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears to be a
collection of old wives tales.

Drivel do you actually own and/or have you used that particular B&D
model?

I have used it.

I've used a bosch impact driver regularly for a couple of years and I
know that faq is very fair in it's description of impact drivers.

The B&D is a small detailed Impact drill, not for framing. Yet the know-its
here say Impact Drivers across the board are only good for lag bolt driving.

At first I used to think some of the regular posters on here were a
bit harsh on you.

Now I think they're justified.

They are justified in their lack of knowledge.

Your unfounded dogma varies wildly from the many experienced
individuals expressing well balanced views.

I am the most balanced viewed person here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
NoSpam wrote:

What's the down-side of these impact screwdrivers?

The various pros and cons are discussed he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

Thanks John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drivel do you actually own and/or have you used that particular
B&D
model?

I have used it.

To what extent?

You've used that particular model both to drill holes and drive screws
in a variety of sizes into a variety of materials?

Or you held it in the shop and watched the chuck whizz round when you
squeezed the trigger?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Drivel do you actually own and/or have you used that particular

B&D
model?

I have used it.

To what extent?

Screwing in screws. It is delicate eough.

You've used that particular model both to drill holes and drive screws
in a variety of sizes into a variety of materials?

softwood

Or you held it in the shop and watched the chuck whizz round when you
squeezed the trigger?

I have done that too. Wizzed around very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The B&D site in the application shots shows it doing cabinet work.

We *know* you can read adverts.

Feedback from someone who has actually used one might prove the lie.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

This B&D is the smallest Impact Driver available at 6v and in physical
size. It does not have exchangeable batteries, only the integrated one
and 3 hrs charge time. This may put many people off. This model is a

This is partly true... so long as you ignore the smaller and lighter
tools of course like the Makita TD020D LiIon 7.2V

Nice video of it in action on this page:
http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?page=189

The eBay price is nearly twice the B&D one, but then again it is just
over half the weight, and comes with two batts and a fast charger (30
mins Vs 5 to 8 hours on the B&D) etc.

small palm of the hand type yet has the same torque, 35Nm, as a 12v
Makita drill/driver. It also does not have a chuck and a slip hex
collar, for v quick bit changes. A nice peice of kit.

Describing any of these mini IDs as "small" is stretching the point a
little - The B&D is relatively light at just under 1kg which is handy,
but its design means it is longer than the "big" conventional T handle
design units. Compare the bit to hand position length:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/Prod..._KC600H_A1.jpg

Against the largest conventional design which is only about 155mm long:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...iverLength.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers
can't do detailed screw driving.

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger ones
since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather than
variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in electrical
accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so.
However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then feel
free to make them known.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The B&D site in the application shots shows it doing cabinet work.

We

Please eff off you are a troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
Drivel do you actually own and/or have you used that particular B&D
model?

He

Please eff off you are a troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers
can't do detailed screw driving.

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger ones
since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather than
variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in electrical
accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so. However
if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then feel free to
make them known.

They are now know because of this thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers
can't do detailed screw driving.

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger
ones since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather
than variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in
electrical accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so.
However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then
feel free to make them known.

They are now know because of this thread.

There is nothing much that I have seen in this thread that is not
already covered in the article, as far as I can see. Unless you would
like specific mention of the ultra light weight category of tools?

So far, information on makes and models has been discussed, but since
the wiki article does not make any specific recommendations in this
area, there is nothing to change there. Ordinary powered screwdrivers
have been discussed (not impact) so again not relevant to the article.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

typo : The B&D Impact Driver shatters the notion that Impact Drivers
can't do detailed screw driving.

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger ones
since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather than
variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in electrical
accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so.
However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then feel
free to make them known.

They are now know because of this thread.

There is nothing much that I have seen in this thread that is not already
covered in the article, as far as I can see.

You didn't know about the small Impact Drivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 3 Jul, 14:09, NoSpam wrote:
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

Dave

Neither of them.

Get the Bosch 10.8v lithium driver, which is the best you will get for
useage, and handling.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 3 Jul, 14:09, NoSpam wrote:
I just bought a Bosch Ixo screwdriver - seriously unimpressed. It's so
gutless that I can see why they didn't feel the need for a torque
limiter. Is the Ryobi 4.8v any better?

Dave

Neither of them.

Get the Bosch 10.8v lithium driver, which is the best you will get for
useage, and handling.

Best read this thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger
ones since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather
than variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in
electrical accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so.
However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then
feel free to make them known.

They are now know because of this thread.

There is nothing much that I have seen in this thread that is not
already covered in the article, as far as I can see.

You didn't know about the small Impact Drivers.

Who was it who pointed out that your choice of "smallest" was actually
less than accurate?

Being realistic there is a constant stream of new products coming to
market. Some of these will push the envelope of what can be done with a
particular tool, and may be worthy of a mention in a general purpose
article. However that should not distract from providing the basic
information that will apply to the majority of the mainstream tools
available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:25:57 UTC, " wrote:

Maybe yours is faulty or not taken a full charge yet? I got mine (the
original model) as a freebee with a bosch professional drill, so had
no great expectations of it. Unexpectedly I found it could drive
6*45mm screws into softwood (most of the time), very useful where no
other drive can fit.

Yup, done similar with mine; no problem. First one I got was an early
model, and the battery died after not much work. Returned it and was
given a slightly more expensive box containing more bits and a built in
bit rack on the charger stand. Gave it a good charge and no further
trouble.

Gets a bit hot after a charge, in particular the two metal contacts
underneath. But small, and great for tight corners.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:25:57 UTC, " wrote:

Maybe yours is faulty or not taken a full charge yet? I got mine (the
original model) as a freebee with a bosch professional drill, so had
no great expectations of it. Unexpectedly I found it could drive
6*45mm screws into softwood (most of the time), very useful where no
other drive can fit.

Yup, done similar with mine; no problem. First one I got was an early
model, and the battery died after not much work. Returned it and was
given a slightly more expensive box containing more bits and a built in
bit rack on the charger stand. Gave it a good charge and no further
trouble.

Gets a bit hot after a charge, in particular the two metal contacts
underneath. But small, and great for tight corners.

Mine was in a daft metal box; even after charging a couple of times it's
gutless. The 4.8V Ryobi is only a little bit better so I'm wondering if
I'm expecting too much.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:

Mine was in a daft metal box; even after charging a couple of times it's
gutless. The 4.8V Ryobi is only a little bit better so I'm wondering if
I'm expecting too much.

What were you expecting / hoping?

I would not expect a 4.8V driver to do more than about a 2" 8 gauge
screw without a pilot hole - possibly not even with. (depends a bit on
the gearing obviously). Should be ok for assembling flat packs and
spinning in machine screws though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
NoSpam wrote:

Mine was in a daft metal box; even after charging a couple of times
it's gutless. The 4.8V Ryobi is only a little bit better so I'm
wondering if I'm expecting too much.

What were you expecting / hoping?

I would not expect a 4.8V driver to do more than about a 2" 8 gauge
screw without a pilot hole - possibly not even with. (depends a bit on
the gearing obviously). Should be ok for assembling flat packs and
spinning in machine screws though.

Indeed. I have a B&Q/Ryobi jobby which is only ever used for the hinges on
kitchen cabinets - for which it is perfect. Bugger all use for anything else
mind.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
NoSpam wrote:

Mine was in a daft metal box; even after charging a couple of times it's
gutless. The 4.8V Ryobi is only a little bit better so I'm wondering if
I'm expecting too much.

What were you expecting / hoping?

I would not expect a 4.8V driver to do more than about a 2" 8 gauge screw
without a pilot hole - possibly not even with. (depends a bit on the
gearing obviously). Should be ok for assembling flat packs and spinning in
machine screws though.

Some boiler engineers have them specifically for that point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Looks like the B&D impact driver then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger
ones since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather
than variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in
electrical accessories for exmaple using one of these.

Is that on the FAQ? The FAQ appears
to be a collection of old wives tales.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so.
However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then
feel free to make them known.

They are now know because of this thread.

There is nothing much that I have seen in this thread that is not
already covered in the article, as far as I can see.

You didn't know about the small Impact Drivers.

Who was it who pointed out that your choice of "smallest" was actually
less than accurate?

You did a Google straight after. I mentioned the B&D around 6 months ago.
It has been around since the beginning of the year.

Being realistic there is a constant stream of new products coming to
market. Some of these will push the envelope of what can be done with a
particular tool, and may be worthy of a mention in a general purpose
article. However that should not distract from providing the basic
information that will apply to the majority of the mainstream tools
available.

The general gist of Impact Drivers on the FAQ, only and "generally", relates
to units geared for framing and the likes. There are many forms of Impact
Drivers that are suited to heavy framing to light detailed work.

Impact Drivers will be the norm in matter of a few years time with models
across the application and price spectrum coming out, as your Google is
confirming. Expect to see switchable Impact to normal drill/driving
models - a Bosch rep was telling me they had prototypes of this type of
unit, but whether they hit the shelves is another matter. BTW, I recon the
Makita you linked to is a good buy at that price for what you get. Two
batteries as well. But, at 17nm is around half that of the B&D.
http://www.elliotts4tools.co.uk/prod...umLanguageID=1
£88.

On Ebay a buy-it-now price of £55 inc delivery. Many who only go for small
12v drill/drivers would be better going for the Makita 7.2v Impact Driver.
The problem is most just don't know.

Ryobi One+ kakakawai UK diy 9 November 27th 05 12:27 PM
RYOBI 6x18 MINI LATHE,Ryobi means quality! [email protected] Woodworking 4 September 7th 05 11:14 PM
Ryobi Redux Puzzled Woodworking 0 October 16th 04 01:49 AM
Table Saw - Bosch vs. Ryobi vs. Delta vs. HF Jedd Haas Woodworking 12 November 3rd 03 01:41 AM
Ryobi BTS20 Peter Young Woodworking 0 October 15th 03 04:09 PM