Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Numpty Wood Painting Question

Hi all

I have made a cupboard sort-of-thing to go below a downstairs WC basin and
hide piping etc.
In a moment of madness, I butted up the skirting surround at the bottom of
this cupboard rather than mitering the external corners.
As a result, when I try to paint the end grain, the moister in the paint
seems to lift the grain and results in a less-than-satisfactory finish (I'm
using water based paint which may aggravate the situation).
So how do I proceed?:
Keep applying primer and sanding till it gets the message
Use a different type of paint
Apply a thin coat of filler, sand and re-prime

None of the above!

Any suggestions gratefully received

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I have made a cupboard sort-of-thing to go below a downstairs WC basin and
hide piping etc.
In a moment of madness, I butted up the skirting surround at the bottom of
this cupboard rather than mitering the external corners.
As a result, when I try to paint the end grain, the moister in the paint
seems to lift the grain and results in a less-than-satisfactory finish (I'm
using water based paint which may aggravate the situation).
So how do I proceed?:
Keep applying primer and sanding till it gets the message
Use a different type of paint
Apply a thin coat of filler, sand and re-prime

None of the above!

Any suggestions gratefully received

Phil

I'd use filler. Trowel it across the adjoining face and you might hide
the joint altogether
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jul, 12:08, "TheScullster" wrote:

Hi all

I have made a cupboard sort-of-thing to go below a downstairs WC basin and
hide piping etc.
In a moment of madness, I butted up the skirting surround at the bottom of
this cupboard rather than mitering the external corners.
As a result, when I try to paint the end grain, the moister in the paint
seems to lift the grain and results in a less-than-satisfactory finish (I'm
using water based paint which may aggravate the situation).
So how do I proceed?:
Keep applying primer and sanding till it gets the message
Use a different type of paint
Apply a thin coat of filler, sand and re-prime

None of the above!

Any suggestions gratefully received

Phil

fill & sand would work. Oil paint would avoid aggravating the wood.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

fill & sand would work. Oil paint would avoid aggravating the wood.

Thanks fellas, I'll give it another go tonight

Phil

What a numpty! R.P.McMurphy UK diy 17 June 18th 07 07:52 AM
Numpty - Remove Intumescent Strip TheScullster UK diy 2 August 4th 06 01:02 PM
painting PT wood cj Home Repair 5 April 26th 06 02:16 PM
Numpty Boxing In Question TheScullster UK diy 12 April 4th 06 11:05 PM
painting stained wood Peter Lynch UK diy 5 September 5th 05 07:26 PM