Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What a numpty!

This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:31:45 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Steve

All depends on the relative external temperature. A black surface will
radiate heat more efficiently than a white one; not so certain what
happens when the container is clear - I guess that's dependent on the
other characteristics of the material.

They certainly *could* be a reason why he's right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R.P.McMurphy" wrote in message
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Steve

Does it really matter? if its a tank for general purpose water and not for
human consumption as he has stated then the colour is irrelevent.

As to the colour of something that keeps cool...
Manufactureres changed heatsinks from silver(aluminium) to black because it
dissapated heat better.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
R.P.McMurphy writes
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Not exactly overwhelmed with bidders either, is he

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sean Inglis
writes
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:31:45 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Steve

All depends on the relative external temperature. A black surface will
radiate heat more efficiently than a white one;

It will also absorb better on a hot day when you want it cool

not so certain what
happens when the container is clear - I guess that's dependent on the
other characteristics of the material.

They certainly *could* be a reason why he's right.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from raden contains these words:

All depends on the relative external temperature. A black surface will
radiate heat more efficiently than a white one;

It will also absorb better on a hot day when you want it cool

I think the heat issue is a red herring but he does have a point. Clear
plastic allows more plant or insect life to flourish in the tank and
that is not exactly desirable even if you are not drinking the water.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:22:55 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Sean Inglis
writes
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:31:45 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Steve

All depends on the relative external temperature. A black surface will
radiate heat more efficiently than a white one;

It will also absorb better on a hot day when you want it cool

Yes, I realise that, but I don't think it's as simple as being a
symmetrical process. It would depend on the difference in temperature in
the heating and cooling phase, the volume of water, and the length of the
phases (at least those, and probably many more variables).

It may just be that the vendor has owned both, and found the water is
generally cooler with the black one. You can't beat empirical evidence :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:22:54 GMT, raden mused:

In message ,
R.P.McMurphy writes
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Not exactly overwhelmed with bidders either, is he

Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-17 11:59:55 +0100, Lurch said:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:22:54 GMT, raden mused:

In message ,
R.P.McMurphy writes
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Not exactly overwhelmed with bidders either, is he

Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.

Is it that bad?

No it's a quiet market town. One of the Welsh Marches.

And there is a place that supplies loads of those things somewhere
nearby. A paint factory I think. £15 is about what it is worth,
considering you will have to get a pick-up or something to fetch it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:22:54 GMT, raden mused:

In message ,
R.P.McMurphy writes
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Not exactly overwhelmed with bidders either, is he

Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.

I avoided saying such a thing, but yes, you're right

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Lurch writes
Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.

I avoided saying such a thing, but yes, you're right

Depends where you're starting from, doesn't it.

When I was in Aberystwyth I'd have *loved* to go to Oswestry.

In my younger days, I had a girlfriend who lived there, well at Knockin
actually, but close enough ...

Actually, a trip to Shrewsbury was a big treat - S'bury had both an
Argos *and* a Tandy.

It now hosts an unbelievably diverse range of names now. I wonder how it
can sustain them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Actually, a trip to Shrewsbury was a big treat - S'bury had both an
Argos *and* a Tandy.

It now hosts an unbelievably diverse range of names now.

It even had a sex shop, although I was too young to be allowed in.

The one at the bottom of Wyle Kop or the one near castle gates ?

I wonder how it can sustain them

Probably all the people from Aberystwyth shopping there.

Owain

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:29:28 GMT, raden mused:

In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Lurch writes
Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.
I avoided saying such a thing, but yes, you're right

Depends where you're starting from, doesn't it.

When I was in Aberystwyth I'd have *loved* to go to Oswestry.

In my younger days, I had a girlfriend who lived there, well at Knockin
actually, but close enough ...

I went out with someone from Weston Rhyn once, we were in Oswestry a
lot. It is a dive.

Actually, a trip to Shrewsbury was a big treat - S'bury had both an
Argos *and* a Tandy.

It now hosts an unbelievably diverse range of names now. I wonder how it
can sustain them

The diverse range of names are also cropping up elsewhere as well so
Shrewsbury will have to do something really special to keep them,
although knowing SABC and their hatred of people and vehicles it won't
be long before everything and everyone is banned from the whole of the
town.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:08:02 -0700, Weatherlawyer
mused:

On 2007-06-17 11:59:55 +0100, Lurch said:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:22:54 GMT, raden mused:

In message ,
R.P.McMurphy writes
This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
clear one!

http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc

Not exactly overwhelmed with bidders either, is he

Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.

Is it that bad?

No

Are we talking about the same Oswestry?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:29:30 +0100, Owain
mused:

raden wrote:
Lurch writes
Probably because no-one in their right mind would want to go to
Oswestry.

I avoided saying such a thing, but yes, you're right

Depends where you're starting from, doesn't it.

When I was in Aberystwyth I'd have *loved* to go to Oswestry.

Heh, I spent a few weeks there the other year doing a job, I think I
preferred Aber. Mainly because the job and digs were right above a
bakers so it was fresh cream cakes all day and round the corner is a
butchers who does some belting pork or beef balms oozing with apple
sauce\yorkshire puddings\stuffing etc...

--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Actually, a trip to Shrewsbury was a big treat - S'bury had both an
Argos *and* a Tandy.
It now hosts an unbelievably diverse range of names now.

It even had a sex shop, although I was too young to be allowed in.

The one at the bottom of Wyle Kop or the one near castle gates ?

Maxie! Coming for you? I am surprised!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

... This chap recons his black water tank will keep the water cooler than a
... clear one!
... http://tinyurl.com/2yjfyc
... Steve

But being black it will lessen or even stop algae growing inside, from
my first hand experience from useing both.

Mike P