Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for old scaffold poles ?

I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?*

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Cheers, Geoff.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:22:17 +0100, Geoff wrote:

I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?*

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Cheers, Geoff.

==================================
Yellow Pages Surrey Scaffolding Sales R.W.Smales (and others of
course).

I buy odds and ends from their Wolverhampton branch.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cicero wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:22:17 +0100, Geoff wrote:

I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?*

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Cheers, Geoff.

==================================
Yellow Pages Surrey Scaffolding Sales R.W.Smales (and others of
course).

I buy odds and ends from their Wolverhampton branch.

Thanks for that, seems they have a localish branch.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 13:08:24 +0100, Geoff said:

In article ,
Cicero wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:22:17 +0100, Geoff wrote:

I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?*

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Cheers, Geoff.

==================================
Yellow Pages Surrey Scaffolding Sales R.W.Smales (and others of
course).

I buy odds and ends from their Wolverhampton branch.

Thanks for that, seems they have a localish branch.

I needed some of this type of material and fittings to make a
substantial rack for timber. I looked at local scaffolding
suppliers and most of what was available was quite beaten up, bent and
otherwise damaged; plus I wanted some fittings.

In the end I looked at various suppliers and found a reasonable source
of supply from an agricultural merchant in Bath who would ship.
Delivery wasn't particularly expensive IIRC.

http://www.averyknight.co.uk/itemclas.php/findclas/206

There's a comprehensive range of fittings and I think that this would
make a good basis for a climbing frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

There's a comprehensive range of fittings and I think that this would
make a good basis for a climbing frame.

Thanks for that, not worried about the fittings as I have welded the
frame together, a 2 mtr cube, not that worried about the condition of
the poles either as long as they are straight as they are getting
sprayed.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 14:05:38 +0100, Geoff said:

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

There's a comprehensive range of fittings and I think that this would
make a good basis for a climbing frame.

Thanks for that, not worried about the fittings as I have welded the
frame together, a 2 mtr cube, not that worried about the condition of
the poles either as long as they are straight as they are getting
sprayed.

Oh well, fair enough, then.

Sounds like an impressive production. have you designed the whole
thing yourself or are you working from some other design?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff" wrote in message
I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Try a request to your local freecycle group. They seem to come up
fairly regularly in my area.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Autolycus" wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
I am in the process of making a climbing frame out of scaffold poles,
anyone know of a good source of supply in the East Surrey or West Kent
area ?

I am only after 3 x 2M lengths.

Try a request to your local freecycle group. They seem to come up
fairly regularly in my area.

Did that, collected a old aly clothes line pole ;-)

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

Sounds like an impressive production. have you designed the whole
thing yourself or are you working from some other design?

It all stated when we were given a*stainless steel slide from an
old*climbing frame that used to be in a pub garden, it was just going to
be a frame for that, it sort of grew from there, ideas*shamelessly
stolen from the various bits at the local rec.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff wrote:
In article , Andy Hall
wrote:

Sounds like an impressive production. have you designed the whole
thing yourself or are you working from some other design?

It all stated when we were given a stainless steel slide from an
old climbing frame that used to be in a pub garden, it was just going
to be a frame for that, it sort of grew from there, ideas shamelessly
stolen from the various bits at the local rec.

Sounds cool. Can we have a picky when its done?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 20:35:06 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Geoff wrote:
In article , Andy Hall
wrote:

Sounds like an impressive production. have you designed the whole
thing yourself or are you working from some other design?

It all stated when we were given a stainless steel slide from an
old climbing frame that used to be in a pub garden, it was just going
to be a frame for that, it sort of grew from there, ideas shamelessly
stolen from the various bits at the local rec.

Sounds cool. Can we have a picky when its done?

You could branch out.

Think of the liability insurance, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
You could branch out.
Think of the liability insurance, though.

Liability insurance for adventure playgrounds is actually less than

for
'manufacturered' playgrounds - children tend to have fewer accidents
with some rope and old tyres than they do with swings and

roundabouts.

Owain

So the premium for my old primary school in Leeds in the early 1950's
should have been pretty low, where the 'toys' were just half bricks
that we chucked at each other - apart from the odd round of ammunition
left over from the war that kids tried to set off by chucking bricks
at them rather than each other G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:18:20 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Liability insurance for adventure playgrounds is actually less than for
'manufacturered' playgrounds - children tend to have fewer accidents
with some rope and old tyres than they do with swings and roundabouts.

That's probably because the type of parents who encourage their kids
to use adventure playgrounds are less likely to litigate for incidents
than others.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 20:35:06 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Sounds cool. Can we have a picky when its done?

Yea I'll put something on our website.

You could branch out.

Not sure if that was a pun or not !

Think of the liability insurance, though.

SWMBO is insisting on digging out the base and filling it with bark.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:20:39 +0100, Geoff wrote:

SWMBO is insisting on digging out the base and filling it with bark.

Messy stuff bark, wind will blow it every where when dry, when wet it'll
start to rot, makes nice dark stains on clothing.

Whats wrong with children learning that falling over/off things is not a
good idea and should be avoided by being carefull and holding on? OK
tarmac, concrete, gravel or slabs around play equipment is not a good idea
but grass kept at an inch or more rather than bowling green length is soft
enough to take a bump but hard enough to instill a learning experience.
Heavy wear areas, foot of slide or middle of a swing can have a slab or
two without presenting a serious hazard.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 20:35:06 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Sounds cool. Can we have a picky when its done?

Yea I'll put something on our website.

You could branch out.

Not sure if that was a pun or not !

Actually, this time it wasn't. I do try to drop them in where I can
though, just to make sure that people are awake.

Think of the liability insurance, though.

SWMBO is insisting on digging out the base and filling it with bark.

The local pussycat population will love you.

Do make sure that you have the area well drained beneath the bark though.

I reckon that changing the bark every two years or so would be needed.

You might also think about some thick rubber mats like horse mats.
Probably more expensive initially, but less over time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You might also think about some thick rubber mats like horse mats.
Probably more expensive initially, but less over time.

You can get thick interlocking rubber tiles. Much cleaner and more
effective than bark but not necessarily more long lasting. There were
used in a children's play area near my house but as it was a public area
they were quickly torn up and used as missiles.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger wrote:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You might also think about some thick rubber mats like horse mats.
Probably more expensive initially, but less over time.

You can get thick interlocking rubber tiles. Much cleaner and more
effective than bark but not necessarily more long lasting. There were
used in a children's play area near my house but as it was a public area
they were quickly torn up and used as missiles.

That was one of the original plans, they soak up the water like*sponge
and get very slippery when wet.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

Think of the liability insurance, though.

SWMBO is insisting on digging out the base and filling it with bark.

The local pussycat population will love you.

They do already thanks to the large run full of guinea pigs.

Do make sure that you have the area well drained beneath the bark though.

I reckon that changing the bark every two years or so would be needed.

Brother-in-law is a market gardener, says he has more bark then he knows
what to do with, says to change it every year or so.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:20:39 +0100, Geoff wrote:

SWMBO is insisting on digging out the base and filling it with bark.

Messy stuff bark, wind will blow it every where when dry, when wet it'll
start to rot, makes nice dark stains on clothing.

But it's comming at the right price ;-)

Whats wrong with children learning that falling over/off things is not a
good idea and should be avoided by being carefull and holding on?

The play hight at the moment is limited to 1mtr, enough for a three year
old, soon to be extended to two mtrs, quite a drop onto a hard surface.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net

scaffold towers best ones gort UK diy 4 August 6th 06 01:36 PM
Scaffold Planks John UK diy 8 March 12th 05 04:28 PM
Ladder or scaffold barry martin Home Repair 2 September 6th 04 02:21 AM
Ladder or scaffold arjay Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 05:34 AM
Windows Cleaning - Source of 'extension poles' and are they any good? StevieBoy UK diy 2 July 25th 03 09:50 PM