Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slab cutting - what do I need?

I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing cutting.

What should I get to do this?

Screwfix are doing a Dewalt 9" grinder for £70 - would this be alright?

And also, which discs should I go for - this'll be basic builders
merchant supplied conrete slabs.

Thanks
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only

cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not

be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing

cutting.

What should I get to do this?

Screwfix are doing a Dewalt 9" grinder for £70 - would this be

alright?

And also, which discs should I go for - this'll be basic builders
merchant supplied conrete slabs.

Thanks
Alan.

If they are solid concrete slabs it'll be hard going with an angle
grinder.

What you REALLY REALLY need is one of these, and now is you excuse to
buy one G :

http://tinyurl.com/2dey66

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 13:23, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

.. .

I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only

cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not

be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing

cutting.

If they are solid concrete slabs it'll be hard going with an angle
grinder.

It need not be. Remember you don't have to cut all the way through - a
groove (possibly half-depth) will suffice with a full depth cut right
at the ends.

Plenty of good advice at http://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_in01.htm

I recently laid a patio with about 20-30 slabs requiring cutting and
my standard angle grinder (with cheap stone cutting discs) worked
fine.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 13:39, Mathew Newton wrote:
On 28 Jun, 13:23, "Andrew Mawson"

wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

. ..

I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only

cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not

be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing

cutting.
If they are solid concrete slabs it'll be hard going with an angle
grinder.

It need not be. Remember you don't have to cut all the way through - a
groove (possibly half-depth) will suffice with a full depth cut right
at the ends.

Plenty of good advice athttp://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_in01.htm

I recently laid a patio with about 20-30 slabs requiring cutting and
my standard angle grinder (with cheap stone cutting discs) worked
fine.

Mathew

Have to agree with Mathew - I cut 10 in half using the small angle
grinder, just putting a groove along each side, so that I could put an
edging round my veg patch.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
On 28 Jun, 13:23, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

.. .

I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only

cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not

be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing

cutting.

If they are solid concrete slabs it'll be hard going with an angle
grinder.

It need not be. Remember you don't have to cut all the way through - a
groove (possibly half-depth) will suffice with a full depth cut right
at the ends.

Plenty of good advice at http://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_in01.htm

I recently laid a patio with about 20-30 slabs requiring cutting and
my standard angle grinder (with cheap stone cutting discs) worked
fine.

Mathew

Best of all is hire a concrete saw. Not expensive.
A diamond blade on the angle grinder may well be similar price - check
with the stockist and get one suitable for concrete.

The limitation on an angle grinder is the depth of cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 1:12 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
I've just been given a job to slab someones back garden, having only cut
up a few slabs before with my 115mm grinder, I realise it will not be up
to the job for this one where there are around 20 slabs needing cutting.

What should I get to do this?

Screwfix are doing a Dewalt 9" grinder for £70 - would this be alright?

And also, which discs should I go for - this'll be basic builders
merchant supplied conrete slabs.

Thanks
Alan.

Done mine with a Makita 9" grinder and budget diamond blade from
Screwfix (which is still going several jobs later). Very easy work but
just make sure you keep your body clear of the line of the grinder.
I'm sure the budget £15/£20 grinders work just as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 13:12, (A.Lee) wrote:

And also, which discs should I go for - this'll be basic builders
merchant supplied conrete slabs.

Diamond. Dirt cheap these days - check eBay.

Cheap angle grinders usually work as well as good ones, but with
obvious lifetime limits. However the big difference is that they weigh
around twice what a good (£80ish) one weighs. For cutting slabs flat
on the floor this is almost an advantage, even though it's normally a
damn nuisance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:12:37 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

What should I get to do this?

Lump hammer, bolster chisel and tin of elbow grease.

Stone cutting or a diamond blade in an angle grinder will cut a slot and
make *lots* of dust. Once you have a slot about 3/8" deep along the entire
face and down the edges place the slab, slot upper most, over over an edge
and snap it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:12:37 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

What should I get to do this?

Lump hammer, bolster chisel and tin of elbow grease.

Stone cutting or a diamond blade in an angle grinder will cut a slot and
make *lots* of dust.

Not if the slab is thoroughly wet first..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 12:08 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:12:37 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

What should I get to do this?

Lump hammer, bolster chisel and tin of elbow grease.

Stone cutting or a diamond blade in an angle grinder will cut a slot and
make *lots* of dust.

Not if the slab is thoroughly wet first..

The traditional wetting agent for diamond is olive oil. Not that I am
suggesting it.

Is the diamond really diamond?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:12:37 +0100, A.Lee wrote:
What should I get to do this?
Lump hammer, bolster chisel and tin of elbow grease.
Stone cutting or a diamond blade in an angle grinder will cut a slot and
make *lots* of dust.

Not if the slab is thoroughly wet first..

The traditional wetting agent for diamond is olive oil. Not that I am
suggesting it.

Is the diamond really diamond?

Yes. I use water myself.