Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiant bar heaters ?

My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater -
"noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater
to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking
for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jun, 16:39, robgraham wrote:
My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater -
"noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater
to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking
for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Rob

Convector heater or oil filled radiator.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:39:30 -0700 someone who may be robgraham
wrote this:-

My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find !

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Dea...Range_158.html
is one example, though 2kW seems to be the minimum in the range.

http://www.trpoole.co.uk/rl2.htm is another example.

As has been suggested, another type of heater may be better, such as
an oil filled radiator. If she has gas then a gas fire would be
better.

Best of all would be improving wall and loft insulation which would
make things better in winter and summer. There are many grants and
schemes for this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
robgraham wrote:
My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater -
"noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater
to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking
for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Infra red?

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
oups.com...
My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater -
"noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater
to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking
for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Rob

Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the OP
says, they are very difficult to find.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:05:26 +0100, "Dann" wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message
roups.com...
My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater -
"noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater
to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking
for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Rob

Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the OP
says, they are very difficult to find.

A naked incandescent wire carrying mains current, with little or no
shielding?

My God. It must make the H&S bods break out in a sweat or run for the
bog

Don't forget Common Sense was buried some time ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the OP
says, they are very difficult to find.

A naked incandescent wire carrying mains current, with little or no
shielding?

My God. It must make the H&S bods break out in a sweat or run for the
bog

Don't forget Common Sense was buried some time ago.

I know, lets have a pair of them and a spring
loaded gismo to carry a slice of flimsy bread. And we'll
provide a drawer full of metal forks nearby in case it ever jams.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dann wrote:
Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the
OP says, they are very difficult to find.

All too easy to poke something onto the live element. But infra red types
where the element is covered in special glass are still available.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dann wrote:
Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the
OP says, they are very difficult to find.

All too easy to poke something onto the live element. But infra red types
where the element is covered in special glass are still available.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman

I just wondered what happened to cause the disappearance of these heaters
when they did. Presumably it was not because of some legislation, because as
David Hansen shows, they seem to be still available, though not in your
local high street shop.

Was it a manufacturers’ voluntary agreement? A finger can easily touch the
element in a toaster, for example, but the wire guard can prevent a finger
from touching the element in a radiant bar heater. What was the event that
caused the heaters to suddenly go after they had been popular for so many
years, but let the more dangerous toasters stay? As I said, I just wondered.

Dann.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:39:30 -0700, robgraham
wrote:

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Long wavelength IR heater - the sort with flat white ceramic plates.
They don't glow at all, so get one with a neon or there's a risk of
forgetting it's switched on!

They're also quite efficient, as the long IR heats people better and air
less well than the glowing red short-IR ones. Unlike an oil radiator,
they're also rapid to warm up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As
the OP says, they are very difficult to find.

All too easy to poke something onto the live element. But infra red
types where the element is covered in special glass are still
available.

I just wondered what happened to cause the disappearance of these
heaters when they did. Presumably it was not because of some
legislation, because as David Hansen shows, they seem to be still
available, though not in your local high street shop.

I can't remember seeing one on sale for ages.

Was it a manufacturers’ voluntary agreement? A finger can easily touch
the element in a toaster, for example, but the wire guard can prevent
a finger from touching the element in a radiant bar heater. What was
the event that caused the heaters to suddenly go after they had been
popular for so many years, but let the more dangerous toasters stay? As
I said, I just wondered.

For a start a toaster is normally situated where toddlers etc can't get at
it. And it will usually have switched itself off when people poke about in
it.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and
she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find !

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Dea...Range_158.html
is one example, though 2kW seems to be the minimum in the range.

http://www.trpoole.co.uk/rl2.htmis another example.

As has been suggested, another type of heater may be better, such as
an oil filled radiator. If she has gas then a gas fire would be
better.

Best of all would be improving wall and loft insulation which would
make things better in winter and summer. There are many grants and
schemes for this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Thanks David - don't know how you found that as I googled extensively
for it. It's exactly what my Mum wants - all she wants is something
to make the room **seem** warmer on summer evenings. The house is
well insulated and all that is wanted is something to give instant
heat at the touch of a switch. She has gas CH and in the winter burns
logs on the sitting room fire.

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:18:08 -0700 someone who may be robgraham
wrote this:-

Thanks David - don't know how you found that as I googled extensively
for it.

I happened to know the name of the company. There used to be many
firms making electric heaters, but there seem to be fewer these
days.

The hardware shop where I live can get hold of almost anything,
often at a lower price than big orange sheds or online, but if you
don't have a similar shop nearby choice is limited.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Radiant Barrier [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 29th 06 07:51 PM
Radiant heat Mulan Home Repair 2 July 19th 06 02:12 AM
Radiant Barrier Help [email protected] Home Ownership 1 April 21st 05 07:30 PM
Radiant HEating? Outside? HotRod Home Repair 18 January 18th 05 04:00 PM
Radiant gas elements (again) geoff merryweather Metalworking 0 May 20th 04 09:09 AM