geoff merryweather

Default Radiant gas elements (again)

Further to my recent post about radiant elements for a
spread-of-flame testing machine (LIFT test to ASTM 1321).
While doing some shopping recently, I saw a pile of those portable
LPG gas heaters on sale, and they are the right heat output (4.2kW for
a 200mm panel) which gives me an indication of the required size, etc.
We already have a box of the ceramic panels in the lab, so still need
to make the rest of it. However, I was getting very funny looks from
the staff as I was peering in to see the details of the burner
assembly, and they wouldn't let me pull one apart to measure up :-).
This is the sort of thing I am referring to:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/House-garde...n-11501866.htm

Since I don't have one of these heaters, and as a poor student, have
to make do with huddling over a candle, has anyone got one? I was
wondering if they premix the air or whether gas is injected into the
manifold box behind the ceramic panels without air and it mixes once
it goes through the panel (unlikely). Any idea on what the jet size
is?
Ta
Geoff
(New Zealand)