Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lawn Ants

Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"RedOnRed" writes:
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

When mowing the lawn a couple of weekends ago, I found I'd taken
the top off a 2m² ant hill. Millions of the things were rushing
around gathering up their eggs and taking them lower under ground.
A couple of metres away, the same had happened to a smaller red ant
hill. I looked out half an hour later, and the garden birds had
found it. It was so funny -- they were trying to eat the ant eggs
whilst being bitten on their feet by the ants. There were about 20
birds there all hopping up and down like the ground was too hot to
stand on, but presumably the delicacy was worth the pain.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown
lawn ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer
inspection they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Boiling hot water from the kettle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:34:42 +0100, "Millan" wrote:

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
.. .
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown
lawn ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer
inspection they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Boiling hot water from the kettle.

Poured over a tea bag, add milk and declare the lawn a nature reserve
and never cut it again?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:34:42 +0100, "Millan" wrote:

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
. ..
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown
lawn ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer
inspection they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Boiling hot water from the kettle.

Poured over a tea bag, add milk and declare the lawn a nature reserve
and never cut it again?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

LOL Yes thats the one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jun, 06:51, "RedOnRed" wrote:
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Can't you just get a rake disturb the nest with it and then pour the
ant powder stuff over them as they scurry around? Try that a couple of
times and see if it reduces their population.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Farouq writes
On 26 Jun, 06:51, "RedOnRed" wrote:
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Can't you just get a rake disturb the nest with it and then pour the
ant powder stuff over them as they scurry around? Try that a couple of
times and see if it reduces their population.

Look - stop ****ing around with boring proprietary stuff

Pour half a pint of cellulose thinners on it and set fire to it

the toxic fumes will sort your problems and provide a modicum of
entertainment at the same time

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

In message . com,
Farouq writes

On 26 Jun, 06:51, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little
brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer
inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Can't you just get a rake disturb the nest with it and then pour the
ant powder stuff over them as they scurry around? Try that a couple of
times and see if it reduces their population.

Look - stop ****ing around with boring proprietary stuff

Pour half a pint of cellulose thinners on it and set fire to it

the toxic fumes will sort your problems and provide a modicum of
entertainment at the same time

But will it kill the ants underground? (the queen) ?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:51:01 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

A SMALL amount of clove oil mixed in water will do the job.
(Try 2 drops clove oil in a pint of water, well shaken)
If you use too much clove oil, it acts as a very good very long lasting weed killer.
BTDTGTTS.
Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But will it kill the ants underground? (the queen) ?

Dave- Hide quoted text -

No the Queen along with a few loyal subjects will go into exile and
vow vengance and one day when your fast asleep in your comfy bed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"RedOnRed" writes:
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

When mowing the lawn a couple of weekends ago, I found I'd taken
the top off a 2m" ant hill. Millions of the things were rushing
around gathering up their eggs and taking them lower under ground.
A couple of metres away, the same had happened to a smaller red ant
hill. I looked out half an hour later, and the garden birds had
found it. It was so funny -- they were trying to eat the ant eggs
whilst being bitten on their feet by the ants. There were about 20
birds there all hopping up and down like the ground was too hot to
stand on, but presumably the delicacy was worth the pain.

A couple of years ago I killed the small lawn out the front. When I
lifted the concrete paver that bridged the border I found an ants nest
underneath. Being a nice sort I covered it over with more sand which
linked to the first of the round pavers I was laying as a stepping stone
path out across the new garden. Landscape fabric went down with bark
chips on top. Now every time I have cause to lift the fabric I find ants
apparently taking advantage of the covered highway away from the birds.
There is now an ant nest in the sand under each of those pavers, a bit
like the Polynesians colonising the Pacific islands ;-)

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
raden wrote:

In message . com,
Farouq writes

On 26 Jun, 06:51, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little
brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer
inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Can't you just get a rake disturb the nest with it and then pour the
ant powder stuff over them as they scurry around? Try that a couple of
times and see if it reduces their population.

Look - stop ****ing around with boring proprietary stuff
Pour half a pint of cellulose thinners on it and set fire to it
the toxic fumes will sort your problems and provide a modicum of
entertainment at the same time

But will it kill the ants underground? (the queen) ?

When I tried it, yes

The centre of the lawn had been raised by about a foot

After pouring the thinners on top and setting light to it, I didn't see
another ant for ages

Fairly heavy toxic fumes

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jun, 06:51, "RedOnRed" wrote:
Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn
ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection
they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

I find just turning the hose on the ant mounts prior to cutting the
grass, does a good job...... the raised areas just disappear level
with the rest of the lawn so you don't scalp ot when you cut
it............. sometimes they come back a few weeks later but I just
get the hose out again

Geoff

ANTS !!!!! Postal68 Home Repair 7 May 15th 07 12:20 AM
fall lawn care for "newly" seeded lawn jIM Home Repair 5 September 23rd 06 04:12 AM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Ants DS Home Repair 10 July 30th 05 01:36 AM
Getting Rid of Ants julvr Home Repair 13 May 25th 05 11:28 AM