julvr

Default Getting Rid of Ants

Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both
black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I
tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that
didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any
advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Stormin Mormon

I got liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com for the ants in my trailer.
Havn't seen them since then. I don't know if that kind of stuff works
outdoors.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"julvr" wrote in message
Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both
black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I
tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that
didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any
advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Lar

In article , john.ulvr@terayon-dot-
com.no-spam.invalid says...
Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both
black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I
tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that
didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any
advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Unless they are biting/stinging varieties, is there a real need to do
anything? You might put what ever is available in Canada as a residual
around the perimeter of the home to help keep nuisance ants out.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Jimbo

Been using this mixture for 3 years and it works better than any store
bought ant poison I have ever used. I have given this recipe to at least
10 people and they are amazed how well it worked for them. Hardest part is
letting the ants do their thing till the poison starts working.

Good luck

Jimbo

Ant recipe:

ANT RECIPE

From CBC "Radio Noon" phone-in

This recipe will give you an ant "trap" that will feed a poison (to ants,
not people) to an ant nest, wiping out the whole colony. It is better than
many, since it's not highly toxic to humans.

Ingredients:

2 c boiling water

6 tbs. granulated sugar

1 tsp. boric acid (ask your druggist)

cotton balls

empty plastic yogurt tub, or the like

Method:

1) Make up the liquid solution, let it cool.

2) Punch a series of holes near the bottom of the yogurt container, so the
ants will be able to get in and out.

3) Saturate enough cotton balls in the liquid to cover the bottom of the
container.

4) Place the saturated balls in the container, and put on the lid, so flies
etc. won't get in.

5) Place this container somewhere near a path the ants travel.

6) Reserve excess liquid in the refrigerator to periodically moisten the
cotton balls.

How it works:

The ants, attracted by the sugar, take the syrup back to the ant hill. The
boric acid eventually kills the whole colony. It takes 2 to 3 weeks. This
works better than faster-acting poisons that some ants may learn too quickly
to avoid.

You may find ants continue to visit
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/ants.htm and feed at this trap throughout
the summer. Be assured that they are coming from ant hills that are
progressively farther and farther away.

Try peanut butter instead if they don't agressively take sugar

bait--apparently depends upon whether the ants are craving mainly protein

or carbohydrates.

Perhaps a mix of the two.......

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , john.ulvr@terayon-dot-
com.no-spam.invalid says...
Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both
black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I
tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that
didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any
advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Unless they are biting/stinging varieties, is there a real need to do
anything? You might put what ever is available in Canada as a residual
around the perimeter of the home to help keep nuisance ants out.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Bonnie

Is it okay to leave the container out in the rain, since it is covered?

"Jimbo" wrote in message
Been using this mixture for 3 years and it works better than any store
bought ant poison I have ever used.

Jimbo

Yes as long as the small holes are not to close to the bottom of the
container. If your worried about them blowing around just put some 2 sided
tape on the bottonm or something heavy inside with the cotton balls.

Good luck and be patient

Jimbo

"Jimbo" wrote in message
Been using this mixture for 3 years and it works better than any store
bought ant poison I have ever used.

Norminn

julvr wrote:
Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both
black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I
tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that
didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any
advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Why in hell do you want to get rid of ants in a lawn? Birds? Rain?
Trees? Butterflies? Earthworms?

Duane Bozarth

Bonnie wrote:

There are areas in my lawn where the hills are a real eyesore. I think they
are good to aerate the soil but there are a few areas that are really
infested.

One of the granular "ant-icides" scattered around the particular den
areas would help locally (and temporarily).

Jimbo

The recipe I gave works to kill the entire nest and from what I have read
that can be up to100 feet from where you see the ants in and around your
home. My son had large ants all over his porch about 10 days ago and he
put out the bait and now there gone and apparently the bait isn't harmful to
animals or childen. Anyone that thinks ants are just a nuisance hasn't seen
the damage Carpenter ants can do if left unchecked.

Jimbo

Carpenter ants have become a big problem in Ontario
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Bonnie wrote:

There are areas in my lawn where the hills are a real eyesore. I think
they
are good to aerate the soil but there are a few areas that are really
infested.

One of the granular "ant-icides" scattered around the particular den
areas would help locally (and temporarily).

Duane Bozarth

Jimbo wrote:

The recipe I gave works to kill the entire nest and from what I have read
that can be up to100 feet from where you see the ants in and around your
home. My son had large ants all over his porch about 10 days ago and he
put out the bait and now there gone and apparently the bait isn't harmful to
animals or childen. Anyone that thinks ants are just a nuisance hasn't seen
the damage Carpenter ants can do if left unchecked.

You may have had success w/ the boric acid baits, but I've not had
similar luck...
Norminn

Jimbo wrote:
The recipe I gave works to kill the entire nest and from what I have read
that can be up to100 feet from where you see the ants in and around your
home. My son had large ants all over his porch about 10 days ago and he
put out the bait and now there gone and apparently the bait isn't harmful to
animals or childen. Anyone that thinks ants are just a nuisance hasn't seen
the damage Carpenter ants can do if left unchecked.

Since carpenter ants prefer damp/rotted wood, the damage is already done
when they move in. Often go into termite tunnels, too.

Bonnie

I am fortunate enough to have the tiny ants. I do see carpenter ants
occasionally but this is definitely a small ant problem. I am definitely
going to try the recipe. I'd love to minimize these little buggers. I also
have a termite inspection every two years...since I am paranoid about it. So
far, so good.

Bonnie

"Norminn" wrote Since carpenter ants prefer
damp/rotted wood, the damage is already done
when they move in. Often go into termite tunnels, too.

Carpenter ants treatment [email protected] Home Repair 10 May 18th 05 01:32 PM
big black ants jay Home Repair 10 May 6th 05 03:24 PM
How to rid house of ants? Norminn Home Repair 11 October 26th 04 09:02 PM
Ants G.W. Walker UK diy 65 May 7th 04 11:18 PM
Mulch and Carpenter Ants Billy Home Repair 17 August 26th 03 11:12 PM