G.W. Walker

Default Ants

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

I've tried putting down Nippon ant bait (the liquid
type from sqeezy tubes) but there's no sign yet, after
a week or so, of any fewer ants. A lot of the ants
(there are at least 5 nests) don't seem interested in
the Nippon at all.

Any ideas of other stuff to try..?

G.
Scott Mills

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

I've tried putting down Nippon ant bait (the liquid
type from sqeezy tubes) but there's no sign yet, after
a week or so, of any fewer ants. A lot of the ants
(there are at least 5 nests) don't seem interested in
the Nippon at all.

You can buy a rather excellent spray - the can has a straw on it (like WD40)
so you can direct it deep into the nest. It foams up and fills the next. I
had 2 nests in the house and they seem to have gone (so far so good
anyway...)

Scott

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

I've tried putting down Nippon ant bait (the liquid
type from sqeezy tubes) but there's no sign yet, after
a week or so, of any fewer ants. A lot of the ants
(there are at least 5 nests) don't seem interested in
the Nippon at all.

Any ideas of other stuff to try..?

There do seem to be a lot of the little bleeders this year. You could try a
teaspoon of Borax (from a chemist - it's used as a water softener) mixed
with something sweet - honey, syrup etc. into a thick-ish paste. Put blobs
of this where the ants are and they'll take it back to the nest. Where they
die. Ha!

If you have animals then put it somewhere they can't get to it, obviously. I
don't think it's *that* poisonous to animals but I dare say it won't do them
any good.

Si

Mary Fisher

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

What's your problem with ants?

Mary

£$oteric

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

Mary Fisher

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

Mary

Jim Ley

On Sun, 2 May 2004 22:03:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

Do you understand metaphor?

What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

Jim.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

Do you understand metaphor?

What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

Mary

Jim.

Jim Ley

On Sun, 2 May 2004 22:42:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:
"Jim Ley" wrote in message
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

In the same way as magnolia, or that peeling piece of wallpaper, or
rain, or all sorts of things, it's not necessarily rational, but still
it's something I feel.

I'm sensitive to movement - when indoors moving ants attract my
attention and stop me doing other things.

Jim.
Capitol

Mary Fisher wrote in message
. ..

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

OED definition of "swarm"

Large number or dense group of insects, birds,small animals, persons, etc--
moving about in a cluster or irregular body especially, around prey or
enemy; in pl: great numbers of children, stars,people,bills(?) etc. cluster
of honeybees emigrating from hive with queen bee to establish new home etc,
etc, any large number of things. alt swarm, to climb rapidly .

Looks like ants to me!

LOL
Capitol

Andrew Mawson

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

What's your problem with ants?

Mary

When they march into the kitchen in columns of five abreast and head for the
butter dish, embedding themselves stickily as a writhing mass then in the
usual meaning of the expression they are 'a problem'.

Rather like the wasps from the nest in our loft (that SOFAR I have resisted
fumigating), that about this time of year head for the shower room used by
our foriegn (guest) students, and lie half dead and writhing in the wet
shower tray causing considerable distress to naked humans unable to express
their problem to us as they are here to learn English and as yet don't know
the word wasp! They are also 'a problem'.

I suppose it's rather like weeds being a plant in the wrong place !

Andrew Mawson

Mike Hibbert

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two things
are mutually exclusive though!!

Andy Hall

On Mon, 03 May 2004 07:50:20 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"
wrote:

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two things
are mutually exclusive though!!

We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists
as well :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
dave @ stejonda

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

they tickle

--
dave @ stejonda

Mary Fisher

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message

The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two

things
are mutually exclusive though!!

I should have explained more, it seems. Usenet is about communications,
isn't it?

Effective communication is surely about precision, communication isn't
effective unless precise words are used.

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what
does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round here
(i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.

Mary

Mary

Mary Fisher

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

they tickle

So do I.

Oh, OK :-)

But tickling isn't unsightly ...

Mary

--
dave @ stejonda

Mary Fisher

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

What's your problem with ants?

Mary

When they march into the kitchen in columns of five abreast

You've counted?

and head for the
butter dish, embedding themselves stickily as a writhing mass then in the
usual meaning of the expression they are 'a problem'.

Cover the butter dish then you won't be tempted to hyperbole.

Rather like the wasps from the nest in our loft (that SOFAR I have

resisted
fumigating), that about this time of year head

That really suprises me, at this time of year it's rare to see worker wasps
and there aren't many queens about in one place.

for the shower room used by
our foriegn (guest) students, and lie half dead and writhing in the wet
shower tray causing considerable distress

Its sounds as though the wasps are distressed too ...

to naked humans unable to express
their problem to us as they are here to learn English and as yet don't

know
the word wasp! They are also 'a problem'.

What - the naked students???

I suppose it's rather like weeds being a plant in the wrong place !

That's a good point - the 'wrong' place being one we don't like. We are an
arrognt lot, humans!

Mary

Andrew Mawson

PJ

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message

The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two

things
are mutually exclusive though!!

I should have explained more, it seems. Usenet is about communications,
isn't it?

Effective communication is surely about precision, communication isn't
effective unless precise words are used.

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what
does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round here
(i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.

Are the wires going into the wall or coming out of the wall?!

derek

On Mon, 3 May 2004 09:44:31 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

they tickle

You're thinking of Aunts. :-)

DG
Mike Hibbert

wrote:

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two

things
are mutually exclusive though!!

We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists
as well :-)

I guessed we probably did (being one myself!!?) which was why I put in my
caveat.

Mike Hibbert

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message

The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two

things
are mutually exclusive though!!

I should have explained more, it seems. Usenet is about communications,
isn't it?

Effective communication is surely about precision, communication isn't
effective unless precise words are used.

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what
does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round here
(i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.

Well I suspect that they may be able to work this one out. However, swarm is
a perfectly acceptable collective noun for ant according to English Language
(although I agree, it's not the most common).

http://elmtree.members.beeb.net/html...ctivenouns.htm

Check it out.

Scott Mills

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message

The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two

things
are mutually exclusive though!!

I should have explained more, it seems. Usenet is about communications,
isn't it?

Effective communication is surely about precision, communication isn't
effective unless precise words are used.

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what
does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round here
(i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.

Humm, I thought the orginal thread was about killing ants.

Mary Fisher

"Scott Mills" wrote in message

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it,

what
does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round

here
(i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.

Humm, I thought the orginal thread was about killing ants.

Indeed. But someone mentioned a figure of speech.

Mary

dave @ stejonda

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

they tickle

So do I.

Oh, OK :-)

But tickling isn't unsightly ...

you haven't seen me when I'm tickled!

--
dave @ stejonda
T i m

If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what
does s/he mean?

Are the wires going into the wall or coming out of the wall?!

And did they get it fixed?

Probably used an IP56 [1] when it should have been an IP78?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Insect proof

Mary Fisher

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes
What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

er - in what way?

they tickle

So do I.

Oh, OK :-)

But tickling isn't unsightly ...

you haven't seen me when I'm tickled!

You never gave me the chance :-(

Mary

--
dave @ stejonda

mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4096211b$0$8566
:
Humm, I thought the orginal thread was about killing ants.

Indeed. But someone mentioned a figure of speech.

"Someone" seemed confused about what the OP meant by "swarming with" ants.

I'm surprised that that someone let the typo in the previous sentence pass
unchallenged

mike
geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two things
are mutually exclusive though!!

We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists
as well :-)

.... And a computer simulation

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes

"G.W. Walker" wrote in message

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but
this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal!
The garden is swarming with them.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.

OED definition of "swarm"

Large number or dense group of insects, birds,small animals, persons, etc--
moving about in a cluster or irregular body especially, around prey or
enemy; in pl: great numbers of children, stars,people,bills(?) etc. cluster
of honeybees emigrating from hive with queen bee to establish new home etc,
etc, any large number of things. alt swarm, to climb rapidly .

S'warm - what one says before fitting air conditioning

s'cold - what the same people say 2 months later when they find out that
their central heating has stopped working

ants?

wossat?

--
geoff
BigWallop

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
PJ wrote:

[...]

Most wiring is generally not moving.

One goes in and one comes out. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andrew L.

[...]

Wasn't there an ant powder called Derris Dust? I seem to remember it was totally useless,
hence the phrase "Ant & Derris" which referred to any useless product (later shortened to
"Ant & Dec").

(sorry, but it is 5 a.m.)

&rew L.

dave @ stejonda

In message , Ian Stirling
writes
Most wiring is generally not moving.

only if you stick to the macro-level

--
dave @ stejonda

Owain

"geoff" wrote
| We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists
| as well :-)
| ... And a computer simulation

Please, of what is IMM a computer simulation?

Owain

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Jim Ley
wrote:

What's your problem with ants?

They're often rather unsightly and annoying.

But much less so than humans.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article uUnlc.2267$7S2.232@newsfe1-win, Scott Mills
wrote:

Something strangely satisfying about doing that too!!

You really have no feeling at all about causing such cruelty and harm?

Mary Fisher

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

Something strangely satisfying about doing that too!!

You really have no feeling at all about causing such cruelty and harm?

Excellent. Someone else who has reservations about harming even such lowly
creatures as ants.

Depends on what you call lowly. They're more successful than humans ...

If more of the world's population cared about it's residents
in this way we perhaps wouldn't cause such destruction to the planet.

Hurrah!

Mary