Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

Default Self propelled lawnmower?

Hi
Very probably a "thicko" question but I'll ask anyway, does self
propelled mean you push it yourself or the machine provides drive?
I ask because I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower which will
hopefully cut wet grass with ease (or is this another stupid idea).
I'm just outside Glasgow and the rain never stays off long enough to
allow the grass to dry (clay soil which hols water), result is my half
decent electric Qualcast (1.5Kw) struggles to cope. Any views
welcomed.
TIA
Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:17:20 -0000, al
mused:

Hi
Very probably a "thicko" question

Yep.

but I'll ask anyway, does self
propelled mean you push it yourself or the machine provides drive?
I ask because I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower which will
hopefully cut wet grass with ease (or is this another stupid idea).
I'm just outside Glasgow and the rain never stays off long enough to
allow the grass to dry (clay soil which hols water), result is my half
decent electric Qualcast (1.5Kw) struggles to cope. Any views
welcomed.

Self propelled is, umm, as it says, self propelled, rather than being
propelled by something\one else, e.g. you it propels itself.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Jun 21, 9:27 pm, Lurch wrote:
[...]

Cheers, thanks for the umm.. diplomatic reply.
Regards
Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jun, 21:17, al wrote:
Hi
Very probably a "thicko" question but I'll ask anyway, does self
propelled mean you push it yourself or the machine provides drive?
I ask because I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower which will
hopefully cut wet grass with ease (or is this another stupid idea).
I'm just outside Glasgow and the rain never stays off long enough to
allow the grass to dry (clay soil which hols water), result is my half
decent electric Qualcast (1.5Kw) struggles to cope. Any views
welcomed.
TIA
Al

I used to live in Wales on clay and had a similar problem.
Try a petrol Flymo. Being a hover, it works on wet soil rather than
relying on traction to propel itself. It will even hover over small
puddled areas.
One point though, I had a steep slope as part of my lawn and mowed it
once when the grass was long. I slipped on the cut grass and my foot
went straight under the mower. Fortunately I'd spotted the risk and
was wearing my safety boots. They saved my foot from severe damage.
Without them, the consequencies don't bare thinking about.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

al brought next idea :
Hi
Very probably a "thicko" question but I'll ask anyway, does self
propelled mean you push it yourself or the machine provides drive?
I ask because I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower which will
hopefully cut wet grass with ease (or is this another stupid idea).
I'm just outside Glasgow and the rain never stays off long enough to
allow the grass to dry (clay soil which hols water), result is my half
decent electric Qualcast (1.5Kw) struggles to cope. Any views
welcomed.
TIA
Al

Self propelled, means it is driven forward by the engine or motor.

Our is and has a four stroke engine from which a V belt drives the rear
wheels, if you pull one lever and push a second one via a clutch. On
wet grass it is just not able to drive at all the wheels just spin, but
on dry it works fine.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Jun 22, 5:08 pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies, I think I will look for a petrol Flymo.
Regards
Al