Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.

About as healthy as organic solvents I expect.

I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun, 20:38, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

I've just bought a tin from here http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/linseed_paints.html
Very expensive but sounds good. Haven't applied it yet. Has anybody
used it?

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19 21:21:06 +0100, normanwisdom said:

On 19 Jun, 20:38, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

I've just bought a tin from here
http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/linseed_paints.html
Very expensive but sounds good. Haven't applied it yet. Has anybody
used it?

cheers
Jacob

No, but I had spotted it. Does it smell as lovely as linseed putty?

The only thing is that the range of colours doesn't seem to be there.
It's fine if they happen to have the precise hue that you want. I
guess it would be possible to mix them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

We used Ecos organic paints. I expected their performance to be woeful and
only used them on the insistence of SWMBO. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Application was just as for normal paints, and the finish was excellent -
far better than Dulux or Crown crap I've used before. Were quite expensive
though.

How long it stays looking good for I can't comment as I sold the house.
Stayed looking fine for the 8 months we were there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:14:30 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.

About as healthy as organic solvents I expect.

I just love an informative response - I suppose it justifies your
existence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.

About as healthy as organic solvents I expect.

I just love an informative response - I suppose it justifies your
existence.

I read the response two ways - as flippant and as being knowledgeable!
What is organic and what is healthy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun, 20:38, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

has to be one of the vaguest paint descriptions I've heard.

If you're referring to linseed oil paints, I've read nowt but good
about them, with one significant exception: theyre very slow drying,
can take days. I assume you know how to apply it in a suitable way.

If youre referring to something else, give us a clue which of the
numerous paint types you mean.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seconded.

Our experience of Ecos paints was that they were extremely easy to use,
covered well, just no hassle at all. We didn't move for 2 - 3 years
afterwards - the only deterioration I noticed was some fading in the sun
lounge - not exactly unexpected!

Keith

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
k...

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

We used Ecos organic paints. I expected their performance to be woeful
and only used them on the insistence of SWMBO. I was very pleasantly
surprised.

Application was just as for normal paints, and the finish was excellent -
far better than Dulux or Crown crap I've used before. Were quite
expensive though.

How long it stays looking good for I can't comment as I sold the house.
Stayed looking fine for the 8 months we were there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 19, 8:38 pm, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

It is probably better to call them natural rather than organic, in the
sense that they they tend to be formulated from sustainable raw
materials - rather than ones that have been grown in cow dung. Plus,
it should be noted that the vast majoritity of the "natural" (light
coloured) paints still containt titanium dioxide, which is far from
natural or organic. It is impossible to formulate a really good paint
that only needs a couple of coats without using titanium dioxide. NB.
The more limited colour ranges result from needing to use only plant
based pigments - rather than synthetic ones.

I've used a number of different manufaturers paints - they do vary in
quality. Some of the better ones weren't that far off the quality of
"normal" paints, however some were quite poor.

ECOS paints are on the whole pretty good - but they aren't all
"natural" - in the sense that they do use synthetic materials.
However, they have done a lot of work to reduce the amount of free
chemicals in the products - which means that they are particularly
good for people who suffer from allergic reactions. So, even though
they may use synthetic raw materials, they are better for your local
environment whilst you are painting.

Other more common brands that have very low VOC content (volatile
organic compounds - i.e. solvents) are Crown Breatheasy and most B&Q
own brand paints. They've reduced VOC (solvent) contents to very low
levels, check out the VOC symbols on the tins & look for ones that say
"minimal"

www.diypaint.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.
I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

Creosote is pretty organic.

been banned I hear.

When I was at school 'organic' meant 'based on carbon'

Carbon tetrachloride is an organic solvent. So is trichlorethylene.
Both now banned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

diypaint wrote:
[...]

Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk
rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints.

About as healthy as organic solvents I expect.

I just love an informative response - I suppose it justifies your
existence.

Try thinking before you type, Judith.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints. I was
wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

Creosote is pretty organic.

been banned I hear.

When I was at school 'organic' meant 'based on carbon'

I don't think you're being very helpful here. Organic now means "nice",
ok? I heard it on the tele.

Carbon tetrachloride is an organic solvent. So is trichlorethylene.
Both now banned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
diypaint wrote:
[...]

Oh, do save us the trip down memory lane. Why do you think they started
using something miles more expensive when they had good old chalk lying
around?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints. I was
wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application
is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

Creosote is pretty organic.

been banned I hear.

When I was at school 'organic' meant 'based on carbon'

I don't think you're being very helpful here. Organic now means "nice",
ok? I heard it on the tele.

Carbon tetrachloride is an organic solvent. So is trichlorethylene.
Both now banned.

Don't forget it has to be flown half way around the world to be truly
organic.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 11:23, Stuart Noble

Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk
rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.

Oh, do save us the trip down memory lane. Why do you think they started
using something miles more expensive when they had good old chalk lying
around?

Many of these paints are still in use, esp whitewash, limewash and
distemper.

Facts eh

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk
rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.

Distemper isn't a paint.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:09:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

... wrote:
... Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk
... rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.
... Distemper isn't a paint.
... NT

It is an ailment that dogs get

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk
rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.

NT

Oh, do save us the trip down memory lane. Why do you think they
started using something miles more expensive when they had good old
chalk lying around?

Probably because the teams of highy qualified & experienced research
chemists at ICI & DuPont deliberately wanted to destroy the planet :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:38:26 +0100, Mike P wrote:

It is an ailment that dogs get

And walls and ceilings

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 14:37, Owain wrote:
wrote:
Many of these paints are still in use, esp whitewash,

in greenhouses

yes, still in widespread use for that

limewash and

in cowsheds

mainly on period properties as exterior paint. Also sees use indoors
sometimes.

distemper.

Only because it's bloddy impossible to put anything else on top of
distemper.

It seems to be becoming fashionable again for its nice finish.

PVA enables emulsion to go onto old distemper if needed, just done
some of that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 20:09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

Many of these paints are still in use, esp whitewash, limewash and
distemper.

None of which are, in fact, paints.

I'm sure that makes sense somehow. But I couldnt tell how.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 14:36, Owain wrote:
wrote:

Distemper is a very capable paint,

Distemper is the wall covering spawn of satan and there are reasons why
it nobody uses it any more.

Owain

Whats up with it? I've used a fair bit of distemper since the early
90s, and have been perfectly happy.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jun, 12:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
On 20 Jun, 14:36, Owain wrote:
wrote:

Distemper is a very capable paint,

Distemper is the wall covering spawn of satan and there are reasons why
it nobody uses it any more.

Owain

Whats up with it? I've used a fair bit of distemper since the early
90s, and have been perfectly happy.

It doesn't take much.. ;-)

Lets try and stick to the facts.

I remember distemper on my parents house. Bloody awful. Came off on your
clothes. Used as it allowed walls to dry out and they used to bu;ld fats
and leave the place damp, and CH wasn't invented.

We emulsioned it as soon as we could afford it.

Wow! at last. a paint the looked good and could be washed to get mud off.

If you want a distemper look with modern durability, use farrow and ball
emulsions.

NT

So you had some crap distemper way back when. The word distemper
covers a fair range of formulae, and sure you can make junk if you
want to. But no-one selling tut would stay in business today.

Just outdated information.

NT

Organic Chocolate coco Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 06:01 PM
Organic buildup in hot water tank Phat Phuq Home Repair 3 June 22nd 06 01:31 AM
Organic Vapor Mask Jay Pique Woodworking 4 April 13th 06 06:02 PM
mold &organic shingles bill Home Repair 2 March 10th 06 12:41 PM
Organic Matter in Well Water [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 3rd 05 04:25 PM