Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Organic Vapor Mask

I'm in the market for a good organic vapor mask. The Quicklatch from
AOSafety, at ~$40 looks appealing. I've also seen some mention 3M
here. Any strong suggestions? I'm going to go to a supply house to
try a few on, but other than a good fit, is there anything I should be
on the lookout for? Also, I'd prefer to not end up with a Dustfoe
situation, wherein the filters become no longer available.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 13 Apr 2006 05:23:38 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm in the market for a good organic vapor mask. The Quicklatch from
AOSafety, at ~$40 looks appealing. I've also seen some mention 3M
here. Any strong suggestions? I'm going to go to a supply house to
try a few on, but other than a good fit, is there anything I should be
on the lookout for? Also, I'd prefer to not end up with a Dustfoe
situation, wherein the filters become no longer available.

I have this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42220&ap=1

I've been doing a lot of work on weekends, all day in the shop, with this
thing on. Its plenty comfortable, and doesn't seem to increase work of
breathing at all. I hardly notice I have it on.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Art Greenberg wrote:
On 13 Apr 2006 05:23:38 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:

I'm in the market for a good organic vapor mask. The Quicklatch from
AOSafety, at ~$40 looks appealing. I've also seen some mention 3M
here. Any strong suggestions?

I have this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42220&ap=1

I've got the next one down from that--same cartridges, but rubber
instead of silicone.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42220&ap=1

Works just fine for the odd use. Haven't noticed any skin irritation.
The main thing is to make sure that whatever you get fits properly.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I'm in the market for a good organic vapor mask.

I've been very happy with my 3M 7502 (or 7501, 7503 depending on size).
It's available from a variety of places, but I found it cheapest
online at:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1191&page=1
I use it primarily for dust, but the few times I've used it for organic
vaporos it's been very effective also (with appropriate cartridges).
There are a wide variety of both dust and OV cartridges available for
it - I found some fairly inexpensively on eBay. I like the comfortable
silicone facepiece, and the fact that you can flip it down off your
head but leave it hooked around your neck if you need to talk to
someone. It does interfere with normal conversation, as I think most
real respirators would. I have a goatee, and it still seals well on my
face. It seals better than any of the paper masks I've tried, though I
haven't tried any other cartridge-type respirators.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Mine Safety Company - probably the largest maker of breathing apparatus
and safety products in the world. Not likely to go out of production
soon. I have a few models of their masks and they are really good
quality. They have a large selection of cartridge types for diff uses.

http://www.msanorthamerica.com/