Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Default mold &organic shingles

Some roof questions. my roof shingles look great but some
neighbor's shingles are all streaking. Looking at previous posts, it
must be mold. Roof shingles are either fiberglas based or organic
felts? Is it just the organic based shingles that the mold attacks?
mold eats the organics? are the architectural type shingles fibergas
based? Final question...do you install a new gutter after the roof
is on? if so, the drip edge flashing is under the side of the gutter.
do you get water between the gutter and fascia? THANKS bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
Marcellus

Most common shingles are fiberglass and have alge resistance AR and only
lasts 8 to 10 years and is usually only a problem on the north side of the
house unless you are under a canopy of trees. Do the roof first, hand
nailing If you have had leaks you may encounter rotten wood at tear off.
Install the gutters after the roof and even after the exterior painting
(consider a debris proof gutter) they work. I like Leafproof gutter guards
or Leafguard. The dripedge goes on under the starter shingle and drips in
the gutter a good measurement is a 2.4 inch with a 1/2 inch kick. put a
bead of sealant between overlaps if you like
"bill" wrote in message
Some roof questions. my roof shingles look great but some
neighbor's shingles are all streaking. Looking at previous posts, it
must be mold. Roof shingles are either fiberglas based or organic
felts? Is it just the organic based shingles that the mold attacks?
mold eats the organics? are the architectural type shingles fibergas
based? Final question...do you install a new gutter after the roof
is on? if so, the drip edge flashing is under the side of the gutter.
do you get water between the gutter and fascia? THANKS bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

bill wrote:
Some roof questions. my roof shingles look great but some
neighbor's shingles are all streaking. Looking at previous posts, it
must be mold. Roof shingles are either fiberglas based or organic
felts? Is it just the organic based shingles that the mold attacks?
mold eats the organics? are the architectural type shingles fibergas
based? Final question...do you install a new gutter after the roof
is on? if so, the drip edge flashing is under the side of the gutter.
do you get water between the gutter and fascia? THANKS bill

Just address the moss issues directly. Neither type of shingle is
totally moss proof. Local conditions seem to make a difference in what is
the best solution so maybe you should ask around. I would consider zinc
strips if I were you as they seem to be the most effective overall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit