Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wasps' nest, what to do about it

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:40:54 +0100, Grunff wrote:

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way of
dealing with it?

Leave it they'll do your garden a lot of good by eating all manner of
nasty bugs.

(please no suggestions of letting them be - they're finding their way
into the house, so the nest must go)

Ah, oh well. Wait 'till it gets cool and activity drops off and apply a
liberal dose of wasp killer. Wait. Watch the next day or so for activity.
When none, carefully cut down nest and slice in half, gently they are
little more than brittle tissue paper. Wonder at the amazing construction,
maybe share with your local primary school. Mug up on the life cycle and
give a little chat about it and wasps. They really are not a serious
threat to humans(*), they certainly don't warrant the paroxysms of panic
some people go into at the merest sight of one.

(*) Apart from the very few people who have an allergic reaction to the
sting.

That was the first sensible bit of input to this thread.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grunff
writes
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way of
dealing with it?

(please no suggestions of letting them be - they're finding their way
into the house, so the nest must go)

Nippon powder - where they enter

worked for me when all else failed

or send Mary in to Fisher them out

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:56:24 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

A large lump of car body filler :-)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-12 23:01:40 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:56:24 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

A large lump of car body filler :-)

Caustic soda

Mornington crescent!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-12 23:01:40 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:56:24 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

A large lump of car body filler :-)

Caustic soda

Mornington crescent!

I was just thinking of TNP remedies really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-12 23:01:40 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:56:24 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

A large lump of car body filler :-)

Caustic soda

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

Now you have to buy a motorbike

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way
of dealing with it?

Angle Grinder :-)

What make?

Will Makita do?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way of
dealing with it?

(please no suggestions of letting them be - they're finding their way
into the house, so the nest must go)

Thanks all, I will attack it with Big D, Nippon and foam. If this still
doesn't work, I will use an angle grnder to cut it in half, then isopon it.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best way of
dealing with it?

(please no suggestions of letting them be - they're finding their way
into the house, so the nest must go)

Thanks all, I will attack it with Big D, Nippon and foam. If this still
doesn't work, I will use an angle grnder to cut it in half, then isopon it.

The angle grinder is a bit OTT, it is only paper. A large knife or an
axe should suffice. Though I would cut it down first, perhaps dropping
it into a plastic bag.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Ashby wrote:
Grunff wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

We have a new wasps' nest just below our gutter. What's the best
way of dealing with it?

(please no suggestions of letting them be - they're finding their
way into the house, so the nest must go)

Thanks all, I will attack it with Big D, Nippon and foam. If this
still doesn't work, I will use an angle grnder to cut it in half,
then isopon it.

The angle grinder is a bit OTT, it is only paper. A large knife or an
axe should suffice.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

wasps nest jIM Home Repair 16 September 5th 06 07:48 AM
Removing a wasps nest. Matthew UK diy 4 November 10th 05 05:41 PM
Wasps nest in our loft johnnybegood UK diy 37 September 8th 05 10:43 AM
Wasps Nest John UK diy 23 May 21st 05 09:50 PM
BIG Wasps nest Sparks UK diy 25 October 19th 03 11:41 AM