Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cobalt drill bits??

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Next step up the hardness ladder from HSS, so not in the solid carbide
league, but will still hack things that HSS won't

Some info he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...perhard_Drills

and

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:55:19 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

EricP wrote:
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Next step up the hardness ladder from HSS, so not in the solid carbide
league, but will still hack things that HSS won't

Some info he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...perhard_Drills

and

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

Thanks for the info. I would like to be free from trouble drilling
reinforced concrete and having yet another masonry drill bit tip drop
off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would like to be free from trouble drilling
reinforced concrete and having yet another masonry drill bit tip drop
off.

Not at all sure cobalt are suitable for reinforced concrete, unless you mean
drilling just through the rebar with the cobalt drills?

If the plan is to drill concrete & rebar try these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...78&src=froogle

Bloody fantastic drill bits, work well without hammer action on masonry &
cope with steel, wood, concrete etc.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
EricP wrote:

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Next step up the hardness ladder from HSS, so not in the solid carbide
league, but will still hack things that HSS won't

Some info he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...perhard_Drills

and

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

Thanks for the info. I would like to be free from trouble drilling
reinforced concrete and having yet another masonry drill bit tip drop
off.

I'm wondering exactly what youre after. For each app a different type
of bit is best, and co-steel isnt the best for any app that I know of.
Its harder than hss, but there are much tougher bits for drilling
stainless than co-steel.

Maybe you coul clarify what you want a bit more. If its just a general
purpose drill bit, there isnt really any such thing. If its for steel
reinforced crete, there are multimaterial tct bits for that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
EricP wrote:

[...]

In the next few weeks I have to drill several reinforced concrete
items, inside and outside.

I was flicking channels and found a bloke apparently drilling a glass
block with a HSS looking drill bit.

Watcing it, revealed it was a "cobalt plated bit that would last a
lifetime and was guaranteed ten years for sharpness".

He used the same bit to drill hardened steel, (a metal file), glass,
ceramics, a house brick, wood, carbon steel and so on and on.

As they have a 30 day returns policy I thought the first thing anybody
would do would be to get a bit and try to wreck it. Having wrecked it,
return the whole set for refund. Hence it would appear to really do
what they were claiming.

I had never seen anything like it so I dragged it in here for the
brains to comment on, as it seemed too good to be true, particularly
at their price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jun, 20:55, EricP wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:30:27 -0700, wrote:

Maybe you coul clarify what you want a bit more. If its just a general
purpose drill bit, there isnt really any such thing. If its for steel
reinforced crete, there are multimaterial tct bits for that.

In the next few weeks I have to drill several reinforced concrete
items, inside and outside.

multimaterial bits. They have TC tips that are a better choice than
cobalt steel.

I was flicking channels and found a bloke apparently drilling a glass
block with a HSS looking drill bit.

Watcing it, revealed it was a "cobalt plated bit that would last a
lifetime and was guaranteed ten years for sharpness".

oh, plated. It will last precisely the lifetime of the drill bit.
Which may be anything from minutes to decades, depending what you do
with it.

As for sharpness, I bet its guaranteed to be sharp for 10 years on the
condition you sharpen it whenever needed. Otherwise its a pretty silly
thing to claim. I've blunted decent bits in minutes by drilling
materials they can barely cope with, and cobalt is no universal
soldier.

He used the same bit to drill hardened steel, (a metal file), glass,
ceramics, a house brick, wood, carbon steel and so on and on.

As they have a 30 day returns policy I thought the first thing anybody
would do would be to get a bit and try to wreck it. Having wrecked it,
return the whole set for refund.

huh?

Hence it would appear to really do
what they were claiming.

??

I had never seen anything like it so I dragged it in here for the
brains to comment on, as it seemed too good to be true, particularly
at their price.

it is. QVC is not the place to get DIY information!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Only thing I've found that are effective on stainless steel. Those gold
coloured titanium coated jobbys won't hack stainless.

I carry a set on the van for those 'difficult' jobs.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:18:59 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

EricP wrote:
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Only thing I've found that are effective on stainless steel. Those gold
coloured titanium coated jobbys won't hack stainless.

I carry a set on the van for those 'difficult' jobs.

As good a recommendation as comes. )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
EricP wrote:

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Only thing I've found that are effective on stainless steel. Those gold
coloured titanium coated jobbys won't hack stainless.

I carry a set on the van for those 'difficult' jobs.

Ever tried them on glass? I can't find anything smaller than a 5mm in a
glass/tile spade bit.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
EricP wrote:

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Only thing I've found that are effective on stainless steel. Those
gold coloured titanium coated jobbys won't hack stainless.

I carry a set on the van for those 'difficult' jobs.

Ever tried them on glass? I can't find anything smaller than a 5mm
in a glass/tile spade bit.

No not at all. Me & glass don't get on to be fair, I use a local glasier
for everything glass related.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
EricP wrote:

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Only thing I've found that are effective on stainless steel. Those gold
coloured titanium coated jobbys won't hack stainless.

I carry a set on the van for those 'difficult' jobs.

Ever tried them on glass? I can't find anything smaller than a 5mm in a
glass/tile spade bit.

Not exactly the same but I have drilled glazed tiles with a masonry bit
(no hammer setting of course), when I needed a small diameter. A careful
starter and/or masking tape is advised to stop them wandering though. Oh
and go carefully.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:03:52 +0100, Chris Hodges
wrote:

Ever tried them on glass?

Wrong shape.

I can't find anything smaller than a 5mm in a
glass/tile spade bit.

Axminster. Buy their indivdual carbide leaf bits though, their cheaper
quality in sets aren't ground to be accurately concentric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:03:52 +0100, Chris Hodges
wrote:

Ever tried them on glass?

Wrong shape.

fair enough - I was refrring to the claims the OP quoted.

I can't find anything smaller than a 5mm in a
glass/tile spade bit.

Axminster. Buy their indivdual carbide leaf bits though, their cheaper
quality in sets aren't ground to be accurately concentric.

I'll have a lok at that tomorrow (that counts as work related!). Thanks.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

I'm glad that you didn't get a laugh, as I bought the very ones. I haven't
used them yet, though.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:33:36 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

I'm glad that you didn't get a laugh, as I bought the very ones. I haven't
used them yet, though.

Sylvain.

When you do, a report would be interesting. Having been bitten by QVC
in the past, I treat their claims with some caution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , EricP
writes
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

They're the bee's pyjamas.

Had lots of deep 6mm drilling to do in steel and they were the only ones
that could hack it, continuous waste spirals all the way.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:59:24 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , EricP
writes
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

They're the bee's pyjamas.

Had lots of deep 6mm drilling to do in steel and they were the only ones
that could hack it, continuous waste spirals all the way.

Cheers Fred, )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:20:09 GMT, EricP wrote:

Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

There are two sorts:

Blueish variegated "cobalt" coating, from Northern Tools and QVC -
cheap, worthless.

M42 HSS, an alloy with cobalt in it. Expensive (but not insanely so),
available from Axminster, really do drill (almost) anything. Worth
having a set around for "best".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jun, 00:20, EricP wrote:
Just flicked through QVC and found "Cobalt" drill bits.

Drill anything including glass and with a 10 year guarantee.
(Worthless)

Pro opinion on them for a laugh?

Don't know about these particular drills but I keep a similar sounding
set in the workshop and they've been invaluable in the past.
Mine look like normal masonary bits but will take a much higher
temperature. I saw (and bought) my first set at a show when the
demonstrator was drilling files. The trick is to use max speed and
lots of pressure without lube/coolant. In other words, do just what
normal metal drilling says not to. The friction heats the area and the
drill cuts the now soft steel. B...y effective.
I've used them to drill out a couple of sheared M16 cap head bolts.
HSS had started to cut but then blunted and work hardened the surface.
No re-sharpening or pilot sizes could get a cut going. These drills
did just what they are supposed to and saved the day.
I've used them since on masonary and they work OK there as well.

John