Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wierd Stuff in Garden

Our back garden is on two levels, the lower level being used a lot, the
upper level mainly grass is little used. SWMBO went to the upper bit
tonight and found this weird stuff;

One ladies leather shoe, one mans trainer, four assorted rigger gloves, two
large bones and a large amount of what appears to be horsehair stuffing.
None of these are ours.

The gloves appear to have been partly eaten or at least ripped apart, the
shoes untouched.

No:1 daughters bedroom overlooks the back garden, she has seen what seems to
be a family of four foxes using the upper part of the garden as a
playground. I assume they have scavenged the weird items elsewhere and
dumped them here?

We guess they are living next door under a neighbours shed, judging by the
earth around it. The fence between the properties is open boarded.

Are we right is thinking this is foxes? Do they raid bins etc and dump
stuff elsewhere?

Would covering the gaps in the fence with netting stop them getting into our
garden or can foxes climb?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

Could well be Reynard!
I expect covering gaps in fences would have little effect. If foxes want to
get in they will go up, down in or around.
Do you have brocks in your area?
I'm not a tree hugger but would suggest that you leave them be, unless they
are causing damage. They are a pest but will cause you no harm, unless you
keep fowl etc.
It might be interesting to find the source of their scavenges; remove the
source and the problem will be removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:15:24 +0100 The Medway Handyman wrote :
Are we right is thinking this is foxes? Do they raid bins etc
and dump stuff elsewhere?

Yes, if they sniff food they'll rip open rubbish bags and turn
over dustbins.

Would covering the gaps in the fence with netting stop them
getting into our garden or can foxes climb?

Don't know how they do it, but they can scale garden fences.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 8, 1:04 am, Tony Bryer wrote:

Don't know how they do it, but they can scale garden fences.

I once saw a young fox jump up on top of a 5 foot high garden wall,
from a standing start, in a surprisingly cat-like manner.
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
snip

Are we right is thinking this is foxes? Do they raid bins etc and
dump stuff elsewhere?

Would covering the gaps in the fence with netting stop them getting
into our garden or can foxes climb?

Foxes will dig under fences, and will scale fences, even loose-topped
wire mesh, with ease. I've watched a fox go over a 6ft chicken wire
plus nylon netting fence to kill chickens. They're probably less likely
to bother if there's no ready meal the other side, but that fox-ready
bird could be a pigeon that happens to be on your lawn.

The only way I found to keep them out was electrified netting, driven by
a fairly powerful electric fencing unit and regularly checked to make
sure it's not shorted by vegetation. I've still lost birds to a fox
that (I think) jumped clean over it from a drum mower parked close to
it - I assume that it escaped by barging through the fence with a
chicken it its mouth. They leave a lot of blood and feathers.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

One ladies leather shoe, one mans trainer, four assorted rigger gloves, two
large bones and a large amount of what appears to be horsehair stuffing.

You don't live anywhere near Fred West's old house, do you?
--

Dave

FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
wierd one for the plumbers homer UK diy 45 November 11th 05 08:12 PM
OT Wierd death Backlash Home Repair 0 May 22nd 05 01:47 PM
Some really wierd metalworking Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 6 January 26th 05 08:19 PM