Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steel conduit or MICC?

Hi

My wife is going through her "industrial" phase, which will hopefully
pass before I get round to this particular job.

She likes steel conduit, and wants me to use it in certain parts of
the house. Seems like a lot of work to me, so I was looking around for
an alternative. I found some old posts on this group suggesting that
bare MICC can be an attractive solution in some circumstances for
surface mounting.

Can you get bare MICC cable, and is it robust enough to cope with
average domestic abuse?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MICC requires special termination, and as you suggest steel conduit
will be hard work. Can you compromise on black or white plastic round
conduit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
My wife is going through her "industrial" phase, which will hopefully
pass before I get round to this particular job.

She likes steel conduit, and wants me to use it in certain parts of
the house. Seems like a lot of work to me, so I was looking around for
an alternative.

It's not only a deal of work, but needs considerable skill and a very
expensive pipe bender and dies for other than straight runs.

I found some old posts on this group suggesting that
bare MICC can be an attractive solution in some circumstances for
surface mounting.

Can you get bare MICC cable, and is it robust enough to cope with
average domestic abuse?

If you can't easily get bare you can strip off the PVC outer. And it is
very robust - far more so than surface mounted TW&E. However it also
requires skills and special tools to terminate.

IMHO, unless it's a large amount so worth buying the tools and acquiring
the skills it might make more sense to use a pro.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 10:49, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Things that might have been better expressed !

"and acquiring the skills it might make more sense to use a pro."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
robgraham wrote:
Things that might have been better expressed !

"and acquiring the skills it might make more sense to use a pro."

Well, I've installed both MICC and conduit - and did at one time have a
conduit bender. It was worth my acquiring the skills for both as they were
needed for non domestic work. Of course people vary in how quickly they
pick stuff up, but IMHO as regards both those for a small amount of work a
pro will work out to be a better deal.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
If you can't easily get bare you can strip off the PVC outer. And it is
very robust - far more so than surface mounted TW&E. However it also
requires skills and special tools to terminate...

Straightening it so that it looks good is also a skill in itself. The
slightly wavy, off the roll finish that would be acceptable in an industrial
application is not going to work here.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
If you can't easily get bare you can strip off the PVC outer. And it is
very robust - far more so than surface mounted TW&E. However it also
requires skills and special tools to terminate...

Straightening it so that it looks good is also a skill in itself. The
slightly wavy, off the roll finish that would be acceptable in an
industrial application is not going to work here.

Absolutely. One trick is not to twist it but sort of roll it off the coil.
Not always possible of course if going through holes etc. All part of the
fun, though. It's very satisfying stuff to work with if you're a certain
type - but a PITA if speed is of essence or you're forced into using it.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *