andy

Default air line through burried steel conduit?

Hi folks.
I am hoping to run an air line from a compressor in my basement to my
detached garage through a burried steel electrical conduit. The length
of the conduit is approximately 75'. The conduit currently contains
two unused 12 gauge conductors and looks to be about 3/4" in diameter
and heavier than your standard EMT . Does anyone see any potential
problems with this arrangement?

I was thinking flexible hose, any suggestions as to type?

Thanks,
Andy
Lynn, MA

(Ideally I would have the compressor in the garage, but I don't have
enough circuits/capacity out there. - I basically use the air for
blowing around sawdust)

Peter DiVergilio

Wouldn't it be easier to just get an inexpensive, small air compressor and
plug it in inside the garage? That way you could have the air wherever you
need it. Just a thought. - BTW - I remember: "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin",
but I forget the next two lines.

--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

DeepDiver

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks.
I am hoping to run an air line from a compressor in my basement to my
detached garage through a burried steel electrical conduit. The length
of the conduit is approximately 75'. The conduit currently contains
two unused 12 gauge conductors and looks to be about 3/4" in diameter
and heavier than your standard EMT . Does anyone see any potential
problems with this arrangement?

I was thinking flexible hose, any suggestions as to type?

(Ideally I would have the compressor in the garage, but I don't have
enough circuits/capacity out there. - I basically use the air for
blowing around sawdust)

Why not use the conduit for its intended purpose: run a new, high-capacity
electrical circuit to your garage and solve all your problems!

- Michael

The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Peter DiVergilio wrote:

BTW - I remember: "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin", but I forget the next
two lines.

I believe it's "You'll never come out the way you went in." Had an
English teacher back in high school from that area, she used to repeat the
saying quite frequently. But then I never listened much in that class, so
I could be remembering incorrectly.

Don Young

You are unlikely to get much air flow thru 75+ feet of tubing that will fit
in that conduit. For intermittent use you could add a tank in the garage. I
would suggest a small compressor in the garage and if you need more
electrical capacity use the existing conduit. The existing two conductors
plus a ground would power a 240V compressor.
Don Young

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks.
I am hoping to run an air line from a compressor in my basement to my
detached garage through a burried steel electrical conduit. The length
of the conduit is approximately 75'. The conduit currently contains
two unused 12 gauge conductors and looks to be about 3/4" in diameter
and heavier than your standard EMT . Does anyone see any potential
problems with this arrangement?

I was thinking flexible hose, any suggestions as to type?

Thanks,
Andy
Lynn, MA

(Ideally I would have the compressor in the garage, but I don't have
enough circuits/capacity out there. - I basically use the air for
blowing around sawdust)

Shawn

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks.
I am hoping to run an air line from a compressor in my basement to my
detached garage through a burried steel electrical conduit. The length
of the conduit is approximately 75'. The conduit currently contains
two unused 12 gauge conductors and looks to be about 3/4" in diameter
and heavier than your standard EMT . Does anyone see any potential
problems with this arrangement?

I was thinking flexible hose, any suggestions as to type?

Thanks,
Andy
Lynn, MA

(Ideally I would have the compressor in the garage, but I don't have
enough circuits/capacity out there. - I basically use the air for
blowing around sawdust)

We use miles of this stuff at work
http://www.parker.com/PARFLEX/4660%20SINGLE%20PDF/NYLON%20TUBING%20(FLEXIBLE).PDF
and it runs thru conduit and cable trays, indoors and outdoors. We've had
very little problems using this tubing. I would suggest that you put an air
receiver in the garage to prevent pressure drops that will occur over the
75' of tubing run.

Shawn

andy

Thanks for all the suggestions. will look into poly-flo and parker
flex.
The conduit is existing, and housed the garage's old electic supply
(one lightbulb)

I have since burried a new electric service (50 amp subpanel, direct
burrial cable) for the welder,tablesaw,planer..... so I am pushing what
I have available for ampacity in the garage. My thought was to keep
the compressor in the basement shop where there is lots of ampacity
available, and have air drops in both the basement and garage. My air
use at the moment is more a novelty than any thing else. I use it to
blow dust off things and dry things off.

I guess I am a victim of :I should have put a larger service into the
garage, I should have burried it in a conduit, I should have installed
an extra conduit, ect. I should have "thought big" from the
beginning.

Thanks again for your responses, and hi to rex....roger
Andy
lynn, lynn.....

Vaughn

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess I am a victim of :I should have put a larger service into the
garage, I should have burried it in a conduit, I should have installed
an extra conduit, ect. I should have "thought big" from the
beginning.

Good lesson!

Ditches are expensive, PVC is cheap. Anytime you open a ditch, put in
everything you can think of that you might want in the future, and then add
extra conduit beyond that. Water? Air? TV? Gas? Telephone? Data?

Vaughn

Vaughn

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
You could always pull 3 #8's through and run your compressor on 40 amp 240
volts. This would be a seperate cirucuit, would not run through the sub panel.

I can't give you chapter and verse (it has been too many years), but I
believe that may be against code. The issue is that it must be very clear how
to kill power to a building. However; if the compressor sat outside and the #8s
did not actually enter the garage...

Vaughn

yourname

The Hurdy Gurdy Man wrote:
Peter DiVergilio wrote:

BTW - I remember: "Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin", but I forget the next
two lines.

I believe it's "You'll never come out the way you went in." Had an
English teacher back in high school from that area, she used to repeat the
saying quite frequently. But then I never listened much in that class, so
I could be remembering incorrectly.

yeah that's it............usta live on johnson st some years

if flow bacame a problem, find a tank, old propane or dead compressor to
put at the other end of the line as a reservoir

Romex in SHORT run of conduit? HerHusband Home Repair 22 June 15th 05 07:59 PM
Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 09:24 PM
Raster problem (bright vertical line and raster pulls in horizontally) with 31" Sylvania Rob Myers Electronics Repair 2 February 29th 04 01:16 PM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM