Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pumping condensate from air conditioning evaporator

I am installing a split easy-fit air conditioning system in my house,
and I have a need for the pipework between the indoor and outdoor unit
to go above the height of the indoor evaporator (basically, up into
the loft, and then across to the external wall).

I believe that I need to install a small condensate pump to assist the
flow of drained condensate. (it only needs to pump about 12 inches
above the height of the evaporator).

My question is... does the condensate pump have to be installed at a
similar height to the bottom of the evaporator unit? i.e. at the same
level as the contents of the drainage reservoir in the evaporator? Or
can it be installed at a higher level, and somehow maintain a head of
water to syphon the condensate from the evaporator?

Also, I noticed that most of the mini condensate pumps seem to come as
two parts, one of which can be fitted within the evaporator's drainage
tray, and one that can be put into trunking in line with the drainage
tube. Is this an either/or option? I don't particularly want to take
the evaporator apart and install things in it, so I'd like to just
have something in the trunking.

Thanks for any suggestions / advice!

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

My question is... does the condensate pump have to be installed at a
similar height to the bottom of the evaporator unit? i.e. at the same
level as the contents of the drainage reservoir in the evaporator? Or
can it be installed at a higher level, and somehow maintain a head of
water to syphon the condensate from the evaporator?

I remember these getting blocked with fluff and other crud years ago when we
had a/c units installed centrally in an open area, and well away from the
external walls. We ended up installing moisture detectors to warn against
the overflowing condensate seeping into the carpet.

I wish you luck.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James

I did this with a system from www.global-cooling.co.uk on a Millenniumair KFR-34GW/BP

I believe that I need to install a small condensate pump to assist the
flow of drained condensate. (it only needs to pump about 12 inches
above the height of the evaporator).

I used an inline pump from a company they recommended called NRS it was called a mini orange and it fitted inside the conduit I had along the side of unit to hide the pipes whilst they went up into the loft, I think they can pump up to a 5m height and for a further 10m.

My question is... does the condensate pump have to be installed at a
similar height to the bottom of the evaporator unit? i.e. at the same
level as the contents of the drainage reservoir in the evaporator? Or
can it be installed at a higher level, and somehow maintain a head of
water to syphon the condensate from the evaporator?

The other pump they suggested was one that was fitted in the loft and sucked the water from the drain tube into the pump then pumped it out, it was a lot more expensive, around £ 100-00 which is why I looked at the mini orange, about £ 35.00 that one.

Also, I noticed that most of the mini condensate pumps seem to come as
two parts, one of which can be fitted within the evaporator's drainage
tray, and one that can be put into trunking in line with the drainage
tube. Is this an either/or option? I don't particularly want to take
the evaporator apart and install things in it, so I'd like to just
have something in the trunking.

Use the pump that goes inside the conduit or one that goes in the loft, I don't know which unit you have bought, but the one I got from global they offered lots of advice with what type to buy etc. Why don't you ask them what pump to use and which is best?

Thanks for any suggestions / advice!

James
Hope that helps, Cheers

Hugh