Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B & Q click fit laminate flooring

Decided to laminate the hall and settled on B & Q click fit as it
seemed the easiest and quickest option, it's only a small area after
all. Followed all the destructions (sic) and came to start the job.
First row went in with no major huffing and puffing. The second row
however has driven me to the off licence.
Join together at 30degrees said the instructions and simply click
together, then push into place. Errrr no! 30 degree bit was easy, even
for me, but the click didn't happen. Gentle (?) tapping was no help.
Any advice from anyone who has used this product would, as usual, be
greatly appreciated.
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
Decided to laminate the hall and settled on B & Q click fit as it
seemed the easiest and quickest option, it's only a small area after
all. Followed all the destructions (sic) and came to start the job.
First row went in with no major huffing and puffing. The second row
however has driven me to the off licence.
Join together at 30degrees said the instructions and simply click
together, then push into place. Errrr no! 30 degree bit was easy, even
for me, but the click didn't happen. Gentle (?) tapping was no help.
Any advice from anyone who has used this product would, as usual, be
greatly appreciated.
John

get a scrap bit, fit it to the edge of the bit that needs clicking, and
whack with a mallet. The scrap bit protects the real bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
Decided to laminate the hall and settled on B & Q click fit as it
seemed the easiest and quickest option, it's only a small area after
all. Followed all the destructions (sic) and came to start the job.
First row went in with no major huffing and puffing. The second row
however has driven me to the off licence.

Don't forget to thank it :-)

Join together at 30degrees said the instructions and simply click
together, then push into place. Errrr no! 30 degree bit was easy, even
for me, but the click didn't happen. Gentle (?) tapping was no help.

Last time I used it, you place the boards together with one at 30 degrees
and the click occurs as you lower the board flat.

Some boards have bevelled edges to simulate planking - I once spent 5 mins
beating lumps out of a board trying to close this intentional gap. BTW do
you have the correct plastic bashing block?

Couple of other things; any dust of muck can stop the joint locking. Check
the batch numbers of the laminate. A few thou difference in machining can
make a big difference to the fit.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave,

Thanked the off licence profusely!
I did the 30 degree thing, but no click as the board was lowered. I
have the correct plastic gadget and the other lever thing. The floor
is clean and there is no debris or damage. Batch numbers are all the
same as well.
Since posting I have wondered if the underlay may be the problem, so I
tried laying the boards without it and bingo, easy peasy. The underlay
is B & Qs own Floormaster, the sub floor is vinyl tiles on concrete.
Just how necessary is underlay?
Thanks for the help
Always appreciated

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Problem solved, a light sanding of all mating surfaces did the trick,
went together sweet as a nut. Been offline for a few weeks so not had
the chance to reply and say thanks.
John