Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Click & Clack for home A/C?

We bought a 1914 house during the beginning of the Texas summer. The
AC has done a fantastic job of keeping us cool- until the crack of dawn
was about to show its ugly face this morning. We were awakened to a
loud sound which was repeating itself every 30 seconds or so. I can
only compare it to a combination between the sound of a powerline
arcing and turning on a garbage disposal when its on its last leg. We
frantically ran around the house trying to figure out of the cats had
indeed figured out how to turn on the garbage disposal. To our dismay,
we quickly figured out it was the AC. We immediately turned off the AC
only to go outside and hear a horrible hiss noise coming from the
outside unit.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might diagnose the problem? I
probably will not choose to handle it myself, but would prefer to not
be ripped off by a repair man either.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

titania82 wrote:
[...]

My guess the hissing sound is an indication the system has a leak and
you certainly will not be doing it yourself.

Your part in the process is to find a good repair tech. I know one in
my town, but I am not near Texas. I suggest that you start asking around.
Neighbors, friends, co-workers and family should all be contacted until you
find one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

titania82 wrote:

[...]

WAG, maybe the outdoor blower quit & the compressor finally started to
bypass refrigerant.
When you turned it off it would might make a hissing sound briefly.

There are thieves that steal A/Cs by cutting the refrig-lines, perhaps
they chickened out, we don't know!

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...l_systems.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

titania82 writes:

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might diagnose the problem?

Could be something simple, or not.

Debris in condenser fan makes a racket. Fan overheats and cycles on and
off.

Compressor bearing is gone. Unit overheats and cycles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

also: this will be a chance to explore replacement energy efficient
info.
if you liked this system do not downsize the next one.
plenty of reading free at:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...al/default.htm

titania82 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Good idea.

Also look into a dual speed compressor with the larger size at least
as big if not bigger than your current system.

I have a 3 ton system 36000 btu, so I am looking at a dual speed 3
1/2 ton system 42,000 btu.

Absolutely a perfect combo as it cools the house quick and then slips
into slow speed and removes the moisture from the air.

Great!