Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default Click & Clack for home A/C?

Joseph Meehan wrote:

titania82 wrote:

We bought a 1914 house during the beginning of the Texas summer. The
AC has done a fantastic job of keeping us cool- until the crack of
dawn was about to show its ugly face this morning. We were awakened
to a loud sound which was repeating itself every 30 seconds or so. I
can only compare it to a combination between the sound of a powerline
arcing and turning on a garbage disposal when its on its last leg. We
frantically ran around the house trying to figure out of the cats had
indeed figured out how to turn on the garbage disposal. To our
dismay, we quickly figured out it was the AC. We immediately turned
off the AC only to go outside and hear a horrible hiss noise coming
from the outside unit.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might diagnose the problem? I
probably will not choose to handle it myself, but would prefer to not
be ripped off by a repair man either. Thanks!

My guess the hissing sound is an indication the system has a leak and
you certainly will not be doing it yourself.

Your part in the process is to find a good repair tech. I know one in
my town, but I am not near Texas. I suggest that you start asking around.
Neighbors, friends, co-workers and family should all be contacted until you
find one.

WAG, maybe the outdoor blower quit & the compressor finally started to
bypass refrigerant.
When you turned it off it would might make a hissing sound briefly.

There are thieves that steal A/Cs by cutting the refrig-lines, perhaps
they chickened out, we don't know!

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...l_systems.html