Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beefing up a deck 2

Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

Its actually slightly STRONGER to have the pair slide over one another..

The key is to prevent shear between the sections.

I.e. what you want is a solid lump, not a crude attempt at a leaf
spring..;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jun, 10:27, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

You get most of the strength, but not 100%

How about if I glued it as well?

Should be glued and screwed every 6". You'll need to glue it anyway to
stop the interspace getting & staying wet.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

Sorry, yes I did mean 'stiff'.

Its actually slightly STRONGER to have the pair slide over one
another..
The key is to prevent shear between the sections.

I.e. what you want is a solid lump, not a crude attempt at a leaf
spring..;-)

Indeed.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Polyurethane glue (waterproof and foams to close gaps) and closely
spaced long screws will substantially improve the stiffness, but it
still isn't anything that building control would pass (I'm assuming
it's the decking customer, so BC isn't an issue).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-01 10:54:15 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

Sorry, yes I did mean 'stiff'.

Its actually slightly STRONGER to have the pair slide over one
another..
The key is to prevent shear between the sections.

I.e. what you want is a solid lump, not a crude attempt at a leaf
spring..;-)

Indeed.

Effectively this is laminating pieces together.

There are some good examples of the technique being used for the
supporting beams for roof construction, even laminating and curving at
the same time.

Have a look at the web site for Oslo Gardemoen airport.

www.osl.no

Go to the photo gallery

Media -- Bildearkiv

and then pictures 6 and 8.

These don't really do it justice. The building is much more
impressive in the flesh, and makes Richard Rogers efforts at Barajas T4
look industrial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2007 11:54, Andy Hall wrote:

Have a look at the web site for Oslo Gardemoen airport.

www.osl.no

menu on site doesn't work properly with firefox, is that the Fornebu
replacement?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

This is like watching "Allo, Allo"... ;-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-01 13:36:01 +0100, Andy Burns said:

On 01/06/2007 11:54, Andy Hall wrote:

Have a look at the web site for Oslo Gardemoen airport.

www.osl.no

menu on site doesn't work properly with firefox, is that the Fornebu
replacement?

Really?

Does with Firefox on the Mac.

Yes it is. Actually it's the old military airfield that started to be
used by large aircraft because Fornebu's runway was way too short and
because the approach over the island of Bygdoy upset the residents with
their rather nice houses and even nicer boats. Of course, they
would have been happy for Fornebu to have remained open for light
aircraft since quite a few kept small aircraft there as well.

In the event, the whole thing was closed a few years ago and a large
business park, mainly occupied by Telenor, was built there instead.

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train,
Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

It's replaced the old joke in the Nordic countries about Stockholm
Arlanda airport, very conveniently situated, only an hour from every
Nordic capital - including Stockholm.

I spend quite a bit of time in airports and over time one develops
likes and hates. Gardemoen I quite like, as airports go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

This is like watching "Allo, Allo"... ;-)

David

No, we've said it more than once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train,
Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

And if you use a normal train rather than the special airport express, it's
even cheaper.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2
overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

This is like watching "Allo, Allo"... ;-)

David

No, we've said it more than once.

Yes, but do the girls from the communist resistance know?

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-01 14:31:18 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train,
Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

And if you use a normal train rather than the special airport express,
it's even cheaper.

clive

True, but the time is more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 2:31 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train,
Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

And if you use a normal train rather than the special airport express, it's
even cheaper.

clive

Probably cheaper still by bus ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-01 16:43:14 +0100, "

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train,
Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

And if you use a normal train rather than the special airport express, it

's
even cheaper.

clive

Probably cheaper still by bus ;-)

MBQ

I don't think that they run one there (they do in Stockholm).

A one way ticket between Stockholm Arlanda and the central railway
station is 95 SEK on Flygbussarna and takes 40 mins asuming no traffic
holdups.

On the express train, it costs 200 SEK and takes 20 mins

In Sterling, that's £7.60 or so difference, which is basically
negligible considering the time saved.