Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting Marble

I noticed some small Marble "slabs" in ASDA today- around 1/2" thick and 6"
square. I'd like to cut one of these in half, to give two slabs 6" by
around 3" to make a base for something. I'd also need to drill a few holes
in it.

How could I cut it, polish the cut edge, and drill the holes, please.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I noticed some small Marble "slabs" in ASDA today- around 1/2" thick and
6" square. I'd like to cut one of these in half, to give two slabs 6"
by around 3" to make a base for something. I'd also need to drill a few
holes in it.

How could I cut it, polish the cut edge, and drill the holes, please.

Best way to cut it is with a wet diamond wheel tile cutter. With care,
you'll get a very decent cut - but not quite as glossy as the normal
polished surface. You can get that with something like T-Cut and hard work
- but I'm sure there will be a more suitable product, although not so
easily obtainable. You could also try a metal polish like Brasso.

You can drill marble with an ordinary HSS drill on a slow speed.
Lubricate/cool with water.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
I noticed some small Marble "slabs" in ASDA today- around 1/2" thick and 6"
square. I'd like to cut one of these in half, to give two slabs 6" by
around 3" to make a base for something. I'd also need to drill a few holes
in it.

How could I cut it, polish the cut edge, and drill the holes, please.

Brian

You can cut it with an electric tile saw OK, but its a rough edge.

Take it down with a oarse emery grit and polish with finer..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 18:47, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:

I noticed some small Marble "slabs" in ASDA today- around 1/2" thick and
6" square. I'd like to cut one of these in half, to give two slabs 6"
by around 3" to make a base for something. I'd also need to drill a few
holes in it.
How could I cut it, polish the cut edge, and drill the holes, please.

Best way to cut it is with a wet diamond wheel tile cutter. With care,
you'll get a very decent cut - but not quite as glossy as the normal
polished surface. You can get that with something like T-Cut and hard work
- but I'm sure there will be a more suitable product, although not so
easily obtainable. You could also try a metal polish like Brasso.

You can drill marble with an ordinary HSS drill on a slow speed.
Lubricate/cool with water.

go gently when drilling, its weak stuff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
wrote:
You can drill marble with an ordinary HSS drill on a slow speed.
Lubricate/cool with water.

go gently when drilling, its weak stuff.

Yup. Attacking it with an SDS isn't the best idea.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You can cut it with an electric tile saw OK, but its a rough edge.

I've cut a load of marble with mine and it gives a very good edge - if you
take it slowly. After all the diamond coating is pretty fine.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.