Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Marble Vanity Top

The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:36 am, BobR wrote:
The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

A right-angle grinder with a diamond wheel. You take many shallow
passes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
ups.com...
The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

you can get a skilsaw that has a wet attachment, using a 7.5" blade i think.
makita makes it. for the very end of the cut, you can get a small too in the
tile department that has a round carbide blade in a small handle.

wet/dry sandpaper used damp can be used to smooth the cut edge, if
necessary. marble is pretty soft.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:43 am, Lawrence wrote:
On May 11, 10:36 am, BobR wrote:

The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

A right-angle grinder with a diamond wheel. You take many shallow
passes.

Thanks, I will see if I can come up with one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:45 am, "charlie"
wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I am sure that some smoothing will be needed so thanks. Hope you are
right about the "soft" part. I spent way too much on those vanities
(over $3k) to screw them up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 11, 1:16 pm, BobR wrote:

snip

I am sure that some smoothing will be needed so thanks. Hope you are
right about the "soft" part. I spent way too much on those vanities
(over $3k) to screw them up.

If that is the case, then why in the world don't you take them to a
granite countertop dealer or a monument dealer and have them do the
job of cutting and smoothing? You don't do your own dental work do
you? There are simply too amy ways to screw the project up for a DIYer
to attempt it. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
On May 11, 10:36 am, BobR wrote:

The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

A right-angle grinder with a diamond wheel. You take many shallow
passes.

Thanks, I will see if I can come up with one.

You could also try a carbide blade on a hack saw or reciprocating saw. I
talked with a vendor couple of weeks ago and there suppose to be a new
diamond recip blade - haven't seen it yet. Not sure how skillful you are
using the tools "free hand" and cut a clean straight line - not easy and
will take some practice. Maybe better just take it to your wet saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:
The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

A lot depends on what you mean by
"Marble". Many of the so called
marble vanity tops are really a plastic
epoxy compound. These can be
cut with carbide blades. I used a belt
sander to take off about 1/4" off
one. It came off pretty easy. But, if
it's real marble, that's another story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 2:16 pm, BobR wrote:

I am sure that some smoothing will be needed so thanks. Hope you are
right about the "soft" part. I spent way too much on those vanities
(over $3k) to screw them up.

This little Makita tile saw is surprisingly useful.
http://www.tylertool.com/mak4196v338c.html You'll need to take
several passes, but it will work just fine. You can buy them new on
eBay without the battery for $100 less. The same saw without the
water hookup and with a carbide wood blade is very useful when doing
odd trim jobs around the house, particularly when up on a ladder.

An alternative would be one of those super cheap ~4" tile circular
saws.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8993-.../dp/B0000DCZLC
eBay will have a ton of no-name brands that come with a non-segmented
(definitely what you'll want with marble) for next to nothing.

Make one of those 1x plus strip of plywood cutting guides for the saw
to keep the saw foot from damaging the soft marble, and make sure that
you support both sides of the cut and start at the front edge.

You didn't say what sort of marble you have, but some (predominantly
Chinese) marble tends to curl when it absorbs water. Probably not a
worry, but ask the vendor to be safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 May 2007 08:36:12 -0700, BobR wrote:

The problem is that I need to trim a 1/2 inch deep and 7" long piece
off of the edge of a Marble Vanity Top. The Vanity is a furniture
grade vanity with a marble top that needs to fit into a space that is
about 1/2 inch too narrow on one side toward the back of the top. I
can cut some trim to make way but still need to cut the edge off of
the vanity top. I have a great tile saw but it would require
disassembly of the vanity and taking it to the saw.

Is there an easy way to cut this with any standard tools?

What about cutting a recess into the dry wall instead and restore with
wood trim, tile or vanity marble material to disguise the cut.