Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door Entry System Fault

Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine: buzzer
rings when visitor arrives; visitors can hear me speak; i can let
people enter the building; and privacy switch works. However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

I had a look at a neighbour's entry phone which works perfectly and i
found it had a small black box (about an inch square) with two wires
in the casing. The box seemed to be added-on (perhaps as a result of
a repair or modification) as is wasn't securly fastened. The two
wires were hooked to the system.

Other than this box, the wiring in my phone is identical to my
neighbour's.

I know this description is really vague, but does anyone have any
suggestions what this little black box does, and more importantly,
what it's called?

thanks

Daljit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:57 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Daljit wrote:
I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine: buzzer
rings when visitor arrives; visitors can hear me speak; i can let
people enter the building; and privacy switch works. However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

I would suspect a broken wire or high resistance joint, or if it uses
carbon transmitters (older BSTL / Bell System ones do) the capsule's
gone phut.

I had a look at a neighbour's entry phone which works perfectly and i
found it had a small black box (about an inch square) with two wires
in the casing. The box seemed to be added-on (perhaps as a result of
a repair or modification) as is wasn't securly fastened. The two
wires were hooked to the system.

Pass.

Some internal battery died (carbon mic?) and they attached a
supplementary external one?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Daljit writes
Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine:

visitors can hear me speak;

However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

Gonna run that past us again ......
--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 2:22 pm, Keith wrote:
In message .com,
Daljit writes

Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine:
visitors can hear me speak;
However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

Gonna run that past us again ......
--
Keith

Oops,

I meant i can hear visitors, but they can't hear me! Well spotted,
and thanks.

Daljit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 2:22 pm, Keith wrote:
In message .com,
Daljit writes

Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine:
visitors can hear me speak;
However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

Gonna run that past us again ......
--
Keith

Oops! I meant i can hear visitors, but they can't hear me. Well
spotted, and thanks.

Also - i think it might be a Bell system - i'll check tonight.

Daljit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Daljit writes
On May 28, 2:22 pm, Keith wrote:
In message .com,
Daljit writes

Hi there

I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine:
visitors can hear me speak;
However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

Gonna run that past us again ......
--
Keith

Oops! I meant i can hear visitors, but they can't hear me. Well
spotted, and thanks.

OK, so, assuming the speaker in the flat unit doubles as a microphone
when you press the 'speak' button, then the fault most probably lies in
the mechanism that switches from 'speak' to 'listen' in the flat unit.
I've no idea whether your system uses a mechanical switch, a relay, or
electronic switching, but the fault could be as simple as a dirty
contact in the button.
--
Keith

Entry Door Charles Bishop Home Repair 4 May 12th 07 05:31 AM
entry/exit control system R.P.McMurphy UK diy 2 November 18th 06 12:10 AM
entry door Tony Pacc Home Repair 3 July 28th 06 07:42 PM
door entry system Cuprager UK diy 4 February 25th 05 12:42 AM
Additional handset for BPT door entry system Alan UK diy 4 February 24th 05 05:02 PM