Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Door Entry System Fault

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:57 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Daljit wrote:
I have just bought a flat that has a very old door entry system that
isn't working properly. The following functions work fine: buzzer
rings when visitor arrives; visitors can hear me speak; i can let
people enter the building; and privacy switch works. However,
visitors can't hear my voice.

I would suspect a broken wire or high resistance joint, or if it uses
carbon transmitters (older BSTL / Bell System ones do) the capsule's
gone phut.

I had a look at a neighbour's entry phone which works perfectly and i
found it had a small black box (about an inch square) with two wires
in the casing. The box seemed to be added-on (perhaps as a result of
a repair or modification) as is wasn't securly fastened. The two
wires were hooked to the system.

Pass.

Some internal battery died (carbon mic?) and they attached a
supplementary external one?

http://www.diybanter.com