Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default Help - BG say need new boiler!

Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available? If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:22:33 UTC, bob
wrote:

Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available? If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

Another observation. Do not on any account let her get the boiler from
BG, if needed, without getting other quotes. We had a very similar
situation last year; the BG 'engineer' not only disabled the boiler, but
removed the expensive spare part fitted days before for an unrelated
problem.

The BG quote was 3875, reduced to 3275 as a 'loyaly' (sic) bonus. I had
two other quotes of about 1900, both of which included more work than
the BG quote. I also consider the BG guy underestimated the boiler size.

I went for a local guy who did a fantastic job. He also started work
sooner than BG said they could (despite the hard sell from them saying
they had more staff and could do it sooner).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bob wrote:
Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available

hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available?

Check with Potterton

If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

Well there is no harm in getting a quote from BG. Then get competitive
quotes and make your mind up about BG. I think a recall a recent thread
where someone reported advantageous pricing on a replacement in similar
circumstances.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available? If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

can't answer that but a quick search of the usual online spares merchants
didn't throw up any availability for Powermax.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, bob
writes
Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available? If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

Thanks in advance.

You could always exercise some grey matter and phone the manufacturer
(Baxi-Potterton ?), couldn't you

You could also try googling for HRPC which will bring you to the
partcenter website

look there

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Diyers, are there any heating engineers among you? Today, BG
disconnected my girlfriends boiler saying it was dangerous.

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
b) The boiler is a Powermax fss155 (combi).
c) The fault diagnosis was 'heat exchanger leaked and blocking gas
combustion route.'

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My question is two-fold: what parts would be required to fix (c) and
how could i check that they are not available? If it turns out they
are available and i can prove this to BG ,will they have to fix it or
would they say parts have to be available through their supplier?

Thanks in advance.

You both must be mad! Her for paying BG each month for nothing and you for
having to ask "oh what do we do" on here. Come on - a bit of common sense
is required on your part.

I get letters from BG all the time - scare tactics really. They always tell
me how much boilers cost to fix via them and how much their expensive
insurance policies are. They post them to pensioners via lists bought from
Age Concern too.
How much has she spent on this worthless insurance cover? I bet she could
have paid a reputable local company to do the repair by now or had a new one
fitted.

CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER and ask them about the parts - you can still get
them. Also get some quotes from non-cowboy companies.

NEVER NEVER pay for expensive insurance policies in which the wording is
such that you are never really covered - as in this case. Learn to read the
terms and conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2007 18:22, bob wrote:

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan

The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available

How long have they been taking her money to maintain a boiler they can't
obtain parts for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

On 23 May, 23:41, Andy Burns wrote:
On 23/05/2007 18:22, bob wrote:

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available

How long have they been taking her money to maintain a boiler they can't
obtain parts for?

Andy that's a really interesting point, remember seeing something on
watchdog about this and how they were not notifying their customers
when the boliers fell out of being repairable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2007 18:22, bob wrote:

a) She is on the BG Homecare 200 plan
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available

How long have they been taking her money to maintain a boiler they can't
obtain parts for?

Andy that's a really interesting point, remember seeing something on
watchdog about this and how they were not notifying their customers
when the boliers fell out of being repairable.

Even if BG offered a better price for the replacement of a boiler I
would eschew them on account of their general reputation for customer
service.
I'm afraid that they're still regarded as "the gas board" and gods to
be looked up to. I had serious problems with them a few years ago when
I had a servicing contract with them. EVERY year they'd arrange a
service date to "do" my old boiler (a Thorn Olympic), then either
phone me on the day to cancel the visit (which isn't very funny when
you book a day off work for the purpose) - or not call at all.
Even when I had a problem with a baffle-plate on the balanced flue and
the boiler flame kept blowing out in strong winds they couldn't fix
it. As they knew from previous visits the flue terminal was upstairs
and they needed a ladder to gain access; they turned up (!) several
times without any such ladder.
Eventually one of their regional "managers" visited me and still gave
me no confidence in their ability.
I repaired the baffle-plate thing myself with four nuts and bolts and
a few washers (and a ladder!)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
bob wrote:
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My brother was told the same story about his (admittedly) old boiler. For
'not available' read 'not available from BG stores'. I found the part
online in a couple of minutes.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
bob wrote:
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My brother was told the same story about his (admittedly) old boiler.
For 'not available' read 'not available from BG stores'. I found the
part online in a couple of minutes.

And did BG do the repair with the part that you obtained?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
bob wrote:
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My brother was told the same story about his (admittedly) old boiler.
For 'not available' read 'not available from BG stores'. I found the
part online in a couple of minutes.

And did BG do the repair with the part that you obtained?

My brother decided to have the boiler replaced anyway - but not by BG. And
a right pig's ear the company he got to do it made - including
recommending and fitting a Potterton Envoy. But at least he still gets
value for money from his BG service contract - it's broken down at least
twice a year ever since.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
bob wrote:
The BG engineer told her the parts required to fix it are no longer
available hence she must buy a new boiler and tried to book her in
there and then for an appointment.

My brother was told the same story about his (admittedly) old boiler.
For 'not available' read 'not available from BG stores'. I found the
part online in a couple of minutes.

And did BG do the repair with the part that you obtained?

My brother decided to have the boiler replaced anyway - but not by BG. And
a right pig's ear the company he got to do it made - including
recommending and fitting a Potterton Envoy. But at least he still gets
value for money from his BG service contract - it's broken down at least
twice a year ever since.

This is why I am in no hurry to replace our Baxi back boiler, despite it
apparently having no part availability. All you hear about is modern
boilers breaking down regularly as they are much more complex and
electronic than the old ones. Yes, yes, a modern one might use less gas,
but how much of that is because it ain't working?

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
My brother decided to have the boiler replaced anyway - but not by BG.
And a right pig's ear the company he got to do it made - including
recommending and fitting a Potterton Envoy. But at least he still gets
value for money from his BG service contract - it's broken down at
least twice a year ever since.

This is why I am in no hurry to replace our Baxi back boiler, despite it
apparently having no part availability. All you hear about is modern
boilers breaking down regularly as they are much more complex and
electronic than the old ones. Yes, yes, a modern one might use less gas,
but how much of that is because it ain't working?

To be fair not all boilers are as unreliable as the Envoy - fortunately.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
My brother decided to have the boiler replaced anyway - but not by BG.
And a right pig's ear the company he got to do it made - including
recommending and fitting a Potterton Envoy. But at least he still gets
value for money from his BG service contract - it's broken down at
least twice a year ever since.

This is why I am in no hurry to replace our Baxi back boiler, despite it
apparently having no part availability. All you hear about is modern
boilers breaking down regularly as they are much more complex and
electronic than the old ones. Yes, yes, a modern one might use less gas,
but how much of that is because it ain't working?

To be fair not all boilers are as unreliable as the Envoy - fortunately.

Okay when we need a new one, either when the present one breaks (no
problems so far) or we redecorate the lounge (the attached fire is ugly
and we don't use it), I will ask for advice on models.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
To be fair not all boilers are as unreliable as the Envoy - fortunately.

Okay when we need a new one, either when the present one breaks (no
problems so far) or we redecorate the lounge (the attached fire is ugly
and we don't use it), I will ask for advice on models.

That is a good idea. My brother wanted the Potterton because my Kingfisher
was much more reliable than his Vulcan - bought at approx the same time,
about 20 years before. But didn't think to ask. In the interim, Potterton
had changed hands and are no longer the 'Rolls-Royce' of boilers.

But by the time you come to change, who knows?

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Ashby
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
[...]

Does Naomi Campbell have a CORGI number then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

In message , Peter Ashby
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
[...]

No, but I hear she is good at cleaning floors.

Peter
www.the-brights.net