Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

Default Efficient alternatives to combi boiler for small C/H system?

Combi boilers seem to give a lot of maintenance problems, so I'm just
wondering what other compact and economical options might be available
these days for powering a small hot water C/H system.

I've never had a conventional C/H boiler. I know they require a header
tank (seems like a nice idea, especially good for my rather leaky
system) but you also need some kind of emersion heater if you want
instant hot tapwater don't you? If so, that sounds inefficient to me.

Is there a system that has the header tank *and* can supply hot
tapwater on the fly, like a combi does?

Thank you,

Jak
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jak wrote:
Combi boilers seem to give a lot of maintenance problems, so I'm just
wondering what other compact and economical options might be available
these days for powering a small hot water C/H system.

I've never had a conventional C/H boiler. I know they require a header
tank (seems like a nice idea, especially good for my rather leaky
system)

Heh heh - that's one of the *disadvantages* - you really don't want water
leaking out all over the place, especially where you can't see it. If your
system is leaky sort that first before going any further.

but you also need some kind of emersion heater if you want
instant hot tapwater don't you? If so, that sounds inefficient to me.

No - the boiler heats water in a storage tank in the same way as an
immersion. Except that gas is cheaper than electricity. You use a timer to
make sure the water is hot for when you need it.

Is there a system that has the header tank *and* can supply hot
tapwater on the fly, like a combi does?

IMHO the reliability problems - if any - with a combi are due to the fact
it heats water on demand.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

Combi boilers seem to give a lot of maintenance problems, so I'm just

No reason they should if you choose a decent one.

wondering what other compact and economical options might be available
these days for powering a small hot water C/H system.

You options are conventional heating boiler or a "system" boiler. The
system boiler is like the combi in that is contains all the bits to make
a working system (pump, expansion vessel, overheat stats etc).

I've never had a conventional C/H boiler. I know they require a header

Some do, but most modern ones will run as a sealed system with no header.

tank (seems like a nice idea, especially good for my rather leaky

If you have leaks, then fix them. Don't let them influence you boiler
choice, because they *will* cause you grief whatever you choose.

system) but you also need some kind of emersion heater if you want
instant hot tapwater don't you? If so, that sounds inefficient to me.

No. An immersion heater is often fitted as a backup if the boiler fails
or is switched off for some reason. Usually you use an "indirect" hot
water cylinder which has a heat exchanger coil inside. This is typically
connected to the heating circuit from the boiler. An arrangement with
motorised valves allows the hot water to be delivered through the rads,
or the cylinder as and when required to heat them.

Is there a system that has the header tank *and* can supply hot
tapwater on the fly, like a combi does?

Some combis will run vented. Alternatively you could look at a thermal
store.

Sounds like some background reading might help clarify your options:

Types of boiler:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Boilers

Choosing one:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

About sealed systems
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

About hot water:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Water_Systems

Heat banks and thermal stores:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Heat_bank

Thank you,

Jak

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:44:47 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Sounds like some background reading might help clarify your options:

Types of boiler:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Boilers

Choosing one:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

About sealed systems
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

About hot water:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Water_Systems

Heat banks and thermal stores:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Heat_bank

Many thanks for the info. (Likewise to Dave.)

Jak