Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Showers with unbalanced water supplies

OK, so you lot of put me off "plan A", which was a
tidied-out-of-the-way electric shower.

SO I'm looking at Plan B, using water from the hot tank.

But I've got a problem. (Well, you knew that, didn't you, or I
wouldn't be posting he-)

The room we're turning into a bathroom has a hot water feed from the
hot tank, with about a 3 metre head.

BUT it only has mains pressure cold. It will be very awkward to get a
tank cold feed down into the basement. There is a tiled kitchen floor
in the way.

All the mixer showers I have looked at expect roughly even
pressure on hot and cold. So it looks like we might be forced back to
an electric, because it will run of mains alone.

Is there anything else I can do?

Is there any kind of pressure-reducing device I could use? And don't say
"half closed stop cock"...

Or would it work to use a plain mixer shower, but with some kind of
stand-alone pump on the hot side only?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Robert.

--
|_) _ |_ _ ._ |- | So what? It's easier for me, so I'll do it!
| \(_)|_)(-'| |_ |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of these might do the trick if you have reasonable mains cold water
pressure.

http://www.shower-guide.com/venturi-showers.htm

OK, so you lot of put me off "plan A", which was a
tidied-out-of-the-way electric shower.

SO I'm looking at Plan B, using water from the hot tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May 2007 17:58:58 +0100
Robert Inder wrote:

[...]

Pressure equalising valve: Part Number 16711 at http://www.bes.co.uk.
Just what you need.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Inder" wrote in message

[...]

Single impeller pump on the hot water, so you end up with a power shower,
assuming you have good mains pressure?

Note, you MUST NOT pump the mains feed....

You should also install a double check valve on the cold, so you pump cant
back-feed the mains supply.

Not sure if this solution is allowed, but with a double check valve, I cant
see why not...

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May 2007 17:58:58 +0100 someone who may be Robert Inder
wrote this:-

The room we're turning into a bathroom has a hot water feed from the
hot tank, with about a 3 metre head.

Three metres from where to where? Do you live in the ground floor
and basement of a much taller house perhaps?

Others have mentioned venturi showers. There are not many of these
but take a look at the requirements before buying one. In the right
place they work well.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robert Inder writes:

All the mixer showers I have looked at expect roughly even
pressure on hot and cold. So it looks like we might be forced back to
an electric, because it will run of mains alone.

Thermostatic showers designed for Multipoint/Combi use expect
high pressure cold and anything from low to high pressure hot.
However, they might not be designed for a situation where
backfeeding the hot is possible, so you will probably need to
check installation instructions carefully before selecting one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 19:10, "Rob Bashford" wrote:
One of these might do the trick if you have reasonable mains cold water
pressure.

http://www.shower-guide.com/venturi-showers.htm

OK, so you lot of put me off "plan A", which was a
tidied-out-of-the-way electric shower.

SO I'm looking at Plan B, using water from the hot tank.

Venturi shower is definitely the way to go. Much simpler than a pump,
and very effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 12:58 pm, "
wrote:
On 16 May, 19:10, "Rob Bashford" wrote:

One of these might do the trick if you have reasonable mains cold water
pressure.

http://www.shower-guide.com/venturi-showers.htm

OK, so you lot of put me off "plan A", which was a
tidied-out-of-the-way electric shower.

SO I'm looking at Plan B, using water from the hot tank.

Venturi shower is definitely the way to go. Much simpler than a pump,
and very effective.

Venturi works for some systems, but not all. They are size
requirements to enough water through the system. Check with Trevi
(ideal standard) - 01482 346 461

If you choose a pump, get a good one - that means Watermill, Stuart
Turner, or Salamander and make sure you have a pressure reducing valve
if using cold mains.

Trevor
http://www.sayworth.co.uk - Bathroom Advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 16, 11:24 pm, Owain wrote:
Robert Inder wrote:
All the mixer showers I have looked at expect roughly even
pressure on hot and cold. So it looks like we might be forced back to
an electric, because it will run of mains alone.
Is there anything else I can do?
Or would it work to use a plain mixer shower, but with some kind of
stand-alone pump on the hot side only?

Yes. Stuart Turner shower pump. Other makes are available but not often
recommended.

Also Watermill and Salamander and main brands and quoted as being
quieter. See db ratings, but many people complain about Stuart Turner
pumps being noisey.

Actually, if it's in the basement of a moderately tall house, you might
have enough head on the hot, if your mains isn't too strong, for it to
be in near enough balance for a proper thermostatic mixer.

Owain