Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid Wall insulation

Hi - I have a 1935 house with solid walls. The whole house needs
decorating (evantually) I was wonderign if there is a type of expanded
polystyrene covering that you can glue to the brickwork and than put
wall paper onto that - maybe about 10 or 15mm thick - I'm sure that
would increase the insulation a lot compared to just bricks and
wallpaper.

Has anyone heard of anything like this and prices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
Hi - I have a 1935 house with solid walls. The whole house needs
decorating (evantually) I was wonderign if there is a type of expanded
polystyrene covering that you can glue to the brickwork and than put
wall paper onto that - maybe about 10 or 15mm thick - I'm sure that
would increase the insulation a lot compared to just bricks and
wallpaper.

Has anyone heard of anything like this and prices?

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get
rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene
unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously poisonous
fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get
rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene
unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously poisonous
fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.

Indeed, you can get a Kingspan product which is 9mm plasterboard with PU
insulation backing in various thicknesses. You either batten + screw or
dot + dab it on. Works very well, and is quick to use, but you will lose
a minimum of 3-4 inches off the room dimensions.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get
rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene
unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously
poisonous fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.

Indeed, you can get a Kingspan product which is 9mm plasterboard with PU
insulation backing in various thicknesses. You either batten + screw or
dot + dab it on. Works very well, and is quick to use, but you will lose
a minimum of 3-4 inches off the room dimensions.

Not to mention making all the door and window openings look odd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Not to mention making all the door and window openings look odd

If you're completely redecorating, new door surrounds, window sills and
reveals etc. sort that aspect out.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211027

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Grunff wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get
rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene
unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously
poisonous fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.

Indeed, you can get a Kingspan product which is 9mm plasterboard with
PU insulation backing in various thicknesses. You either batten +
screw or dot + dab it on. Works very well, and is quick to use, but
you will lose a minimum of 3-4 inches off the room dimensions.

Not to mention making all the door and window openings look odd

Windows is OK..and external doors..just line the alcoves with straight
plasterboard and skim.

You don't insulate internal walls so those doors are unaffected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 13:34, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Grunff wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes..it exists.,.foam baked plasterboard. Or you can (or could) get
rolls of polystyrene foam ..BUT think of the fire risk. Polystyrene
unprotected by some sort of decent covering makes horrendously
poisonous fumes if it catches fire.

Better to dry line and use Celotex.

Indeed, you can get a Kingspan product which is 9mm plasterboard with
PU insulation backing in various thicknesses. You either batten +
screw or dot + dab it on. Works very well, and is quick to use, but
you will lose a minimum of 3-4 inches off the room dimensions.

Not to mention making all the door and window openings look odd

Windows is OK..and external doors..just line the alcoves with straight
plasterboard and skim.

You don't insulate internal walls so those doors are unaffected.- Hide quoted text -

I've found kingspan http://www.insulateonline.com/index1...alls3.htm~main
seems to make 32mm thick stuff (20mm insulation 12.5mm plasterboard)
that may be an option and U values do not seem to change much with
thickness 0.27 to 0.35 for 20 to 77mm thickness insulation - i read
the U value of a solid brick wall is about 2.1 so any thickness of
insulation makes a big difference - hence I will look to try the
thinnest stuff 32mm.

Any idea where I can buy this stuff and get prices? Screwfix and BnQ
don't seem to do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:

Any idea where I can buy this stuff and get prices? Screwfix and BnQ
don't seem to do it.

Builders merchant - look on yell, or pop into your nearest Travis
Perkins etc.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic levitation:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2007 16:23:31 +0100, Grunff wrote:

405 TD Estate wrote:

Any idea where I can buy this stuff and get prices? Screwfix and BnQ
don't seem to do it.

Builders merchant - look on yell, or pop into your nearest Travis
Perkins etc.

I bought some Gyproc Thermaline Plus sheets 35mm thick from TP last
year for £16.60 plus VAT.

Alot cheaper than the other local suppliers.

I'm sure there is a thinner version.

http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.co.uk/...c_thermal.aspx

Robert