Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fishy smell - electrics...

Yesterday afternoon a fishy smell started appearing in the back
bedroom, and being a bit clever, we ID'd this straight away as dodgy
electrics.

Finding the root cause was a big problem, and I got up in the loft to
see if anything amiss there, checked out the various plugs etc, and
came to the conclusion that it was probably the light fitting, which
was a bit warm to the touch.

Turned it off, with a plan to get a new fitting tommorow, but the
smell persisted. As it was now Sun evening, and even Q&B closed, I
decided to remove the pendant from the ceiling.

Later that evening the smell was becoming intense, a horrible fishy
smell.

At this point we saw the shells the youngest son had brought back from
the beach the other day, one of which turned out to be a West Mersea
oyster, which had been alive, and closed up, when he brought it in the
house a few days ago. Now it was opening up, and it was clearly the
source of the foul fishy smell....

Doh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Maurice W
writes
[...]

LOL!, but that fishy smell is usually old Bakelite overheating so I
understand your concern!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Maurice W
writes
[...]

My house was re-wired about 22 years ago, so all the pendant light
fittings are of the same age. Within a period of a year, most of the
shrouds that screw on to retain lamp shades have all gone fishy, with
some bubbling. The heat of an incandescent bulb seems to be enough to
trigger a decomposition that suddenly accelerates. Now most light are
low energy I don't expect a re-occurance.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Now most light are
low energy I don't expect a re-occurance.

Are you sure you should have admitted that given the attitude of some of
our regulars to low energy bulbs. :-)

On a related note I recently had a low energy bulb fail and when I took
it out burnt my fingers (on its fat plastic waist, not the glass
envelope) so these bulbs can run very hot as they fail.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Now most light are
low energy I don't expect a re-occurance.

Are you sure you should have admitted that given the attitude of

some of
our regulars to low energy bulbs. :-)

On a related note I recently had a low energy bulb fail and when I

took
it out burnt my fingers (on its fat plastic waist, not the glass
envelope) so these bulbs can run very hot as they fail.

--
Roger Chapman

I don't give a b****r what they think! It makes sense to me to use low
energy bulbs in some places and incandescents in others, and if anyone
else feels that they should have a say in what I decide to use they
can take a long walk on a short pier.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger wrote:

Are you sure you should have admitted that given the attitude of
some of our regulars to low energy bulbs. :-)

A minor +brownie for CFL's. I've just replaced three
in a chandelier with upwards-facing glass bowls.
There are far fewer insects attracted to the CFL's,
(and of course dead insects in the bowls).

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in
:

I don't give a b****r what they think! It makes sense to me to use low
energy bulbs in some places and incandescents in others, and if anyone
else feels that they should have a say in what I decide to use they
can take a long walk on a short pier.

If the pier is lit with CFLs I won't be able to find it.

mike