Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Fishy Fixture?

Awl--

An old friend, an old-school machinist who did most of his years in the the
physics dept. machine shop of a big name U in NY, occasionally lowered
himself to do work for the biology dept.

He told me the other day he once made (and designed) a fixture for holding
**live goldfish**!!!
For this marine biologist, so's he could implant probes, chips, etc. into
these fish, and send them on their way.
wow.........

This came up as we were laughing about the angst caused by having to tap
holes as the *last* step of complicated parts. I had just broken a 1/4-20
tap in one of my follies (not even a blind hole, so there's not much of an
excuse, ceptin for bein an asshole), and was telling him about my compadre
who about once a month calls me up to complain about his workers, and often
asks, rhetorically,
HTF do you break 3/8 AND 1/2 taps??? How do they DO it?????
I guess the same way they ruin 6" Kurt vises, by putting pipes on the
handles....

Inyway, my fish fixture friend broke a 2-56tap in his fishy creation, hadda
stay all night re-making it.
Promised to show me his piece--proly will give it to me! We both collect
interesting machining examples.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Robin S.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

An old friend, an old-school machinist who did most of his years in the
the physics dept. machine shop of a big name U in NY, occasionally lowered
himself to do work for the biology dept.

He told me the other day he once made (and designed) a fixture for holding
**live goldfish**!!!

Not really the same but I once sold a Fein MultiMaster to a research doctor
at a hospital to cut up frozen cadavers.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

I have worked in university research shops for most of my career (retired
now), both in design and machining. A lot of interesting stuff passed
through my mind and hands. For the most part, really interesting people to
work with too.

Made one device that regulated, at a variable rate, water through a closed
loop of pipe. In it was a fish (trout) that had to swim slower or faster
dependant on flow rate. The oxygen levels of the water was monitored to
determine how much energy the fish used to keep up with the current. End
result was how much food does a fish require to survive.

Strange stuff these researchers get into.

JAMW
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMechanical

[...]

Built a tool about 5 years ago ...

Running wire across spools, pulsed interruption of a magnetized wire with
laser, makes a "bar code" so to speak--end use was in marine research, for
the eventual implanting of tiny 'coded' wire segments into the baby fishes
noses--for tracking purposes...

Haven't fished for a while, ( figuratively speaking ) but I've heard that
oftentimes nowadays game wardens have some kinda 'wand'....reads that
code....

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMechanical

wrote in message
hlink.net...

Made one device that regulated, at a variable rate, water through a closed
loop of pipe. In it was a fish (trout) that had to swim slower or faster
dependant on flow rate. The oxygen levels of the water was monitored to
determine how much energy the fish used to keep up with the current. End
result was how much food does a fish require to survive.

Strange stuff these researchers get into.

Without enough oxygen, then matters not it's food supply....

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

I built a fixture for holding a mouse while researchers shave a patch
on its back for doing some kind of hair research. It consisted of a
small hole where the mouse would stick its head. The researcher would
hold its tail and it (apparently) instinctually tries to get into the
hole, thus immobilizing the mouse enough to do the job.

Some time ago I posted a story about how I had sunk to a new low,
making a "plastic asshole". It was a plastic box with an adjustable
rubber sphincter. It was to test the concept of a robotic probe to
palpate the prostate, replacing the physician's finger.

Also, we make many acrylic fixtures that approximate the shape and
volume of the human torso. The fixtures are filled with a gell that
has the same electrical conductivity as flesh. These fixtures are
stuck in medical devices (MRIs etc.) with pacemakers, insulin pumps,
etc in them. The medical device manufacturers need to know what
happens to the devices when the person they are implanted is in an MRI.
Heating is a big problem.

Today I'm working on a plastic cranium. I don't know how it will be
used. It's a box with holes for pressure gauges, inserting syringes
etc.

It's kind of fun doing odd stuff.

Curt Benson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Cliff

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:45:35 -0800, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

Running wire across spools

8 micrometers diameter Stainless wi
http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans...s/Image12.html