Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Fishy Fixture?

Awl--

An old friend, an old-school machinist who did most of his years in the the
physics dept. machine shop of a big name U in NY, occasionally lowered
himself to do work for the biology dept.

He told me the other day he once made (and designed) a fixture for holding
**live goldfish**!!!
For this marine biologist, so's he could implant probes, chips, etc. into
these fish, and send them on their way.
wow.........

This came up as we were laughing about the angst caused by having to tap
holes as the *last* step of complicated parts. I had just broken a 1/4-20
tap in one of my follies (not even a blind hole, so there's not much of an
excuse, ceptin for bein an asshole), and was telling him about my compadre
who about once a month calls me up to complain about his workers, and often
asks, rhetorically,
HTF do you break 3/8 AND 1/2 taps??? How do they DO it?????
I guess the same way they ruin 6" Kurt vises, by putting pipes on the
handles....

Inyway, my fish fixture friend broke a 2-56tap in his fishy creation, hadda
stay all night re-making it.
Promised to show me his piece--proly will give it to me! We both collect
interesting machining examples.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll