Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating lath and plaster ceiling in bathroom

Hi,

I have just looked in my bathroom ceiling, (lath and paster), and
their is no insulation at all. The bulk of it is flat, but there is a
section of sloped ceiling.

1, What is the best way to insulate the main area? I can get access
although the hole is pretty tight. I thought some sort of fibre which
would lay across the nibs nicely although if there is anything that is
cleaner and easier to lay...

2, Vapour membranes, breathable membranes or no membrane. I cannot get
to the bottom of what I need here. Do I need something between the
lath and plaster and the fibre/insulation? If so what.

3, I am installing spot lights and a speaker in the ceiling. Is there
anything I need to worry about fire hazard wise with insulation?

4, The sloped bits. There is a 2 foot height bit between the wall and
ceiling that slopes. This is essentially the roof. It is lath and
plaster onto the underside of the beams that have the outside tiles on
them. There is nothing in the gap between the beams, tiles and
plaster. I didn't want to force polystyrene down in case I knocked off
all the nibs or tiles. I was also unsure of condensation and filling
the air gap etc The gap would be 3 and a quarter inches if there
weren't any nibs. How do people insulate these areas?

The beams are 2 and a quarter inch wide, by 3 and a quarter inch high.
They are 15 and a quarter inch apart.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My best advice is to overboard the existing ceiling with battens and
plasterboard especially in the sloping areas then you can insulate from
below with kingspan or cellotex,I have so far done all my upstairs rooms and
had the plasterboard skimmed a pleasure to lay in bed looking up at smooth
ceiling

Lath & Plaster ceiling John UK diy 11 February 18th 07 09:13 AM
Lath & Plaster Ceiling Séan Connolly UK diy 36 September 11th 05 08:02 PM
A lath and plaster ceiling maybe?! Ian UK diy 12 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM
Lath & Plaster ceiling repair help please Colin UK diy 4 January 18th 04 02:20 PM
Lath and plaster ceiling Peter UK diy 11 October 16th 03 04:27 PM