Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB aerial

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
FM stereo compromises audio bandwidth to below what is the norm for
reasonable Hi-Fi equipment.

It does not!, just because it cuts of at 15 kHz rather then 20 kHz is
bugger all to do with it, and you as a sound engineer ought to know
that!..

Well you seem to be throwing specs around as a be all and end all. FM is
*not* a perfect system and never has been.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Sigh. The majority of radio listening is on some form of portable or
mobile receiver. Satellite simply isn't suitable for this. Nor is FM
ideal...

Yes I know that.. it was just to point out that digital platforms both
TV and Radio could be very much better but that the broadcasters see
that quantity over quality is far more important!...

Commercial broadcasters survive by selling advertising. If there was this
great demand for high quality surely one would fulfil that gap? But I
repeat the fact that when DAB used a higher data rate the take up was poor.

Conkers.. like any new tech the initial take up is poor 'cos the gear
costs too much at first..

Not that this was "new" tech....

BTW, you missed out FreeView as a source of radio. Cheap hardware and most
have the necessary aerial already in place.

Indeed 'tho you can't carry it around with you;!...

--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
FM stereo compromises audio bandwidth to below what is the norm for
reasonable Hi-Fi equipment.

It does not!, just because it cuts of at 15 kHz rather then 20 kHz is
bugger all to do with it, and you as a sound engineer ought to know
that!..

Well you seem to be throwing specs around as a be all and end all. FM is
*not* a perfect system and never has been.

And this new wonder DAB system eh?.

The Jazz at 128 K Mono.. real new world is that;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Commercial broadcasters survive by selling advertising. If there was
this great demand for high quality surely one would fulfil that gap?
But I repeat the fact that when DAB used a higher data rate the take up
was poor.

Conkers.. like any new tech the initial take up is poor 'cos the gear
costs too much at first..

CD took off pretty quickly. As did colour TV.

Not that this was "new" tech....

BTW, you missed out FreeView as a source of radio. Cheap hardware and
most have the necessary aerial already in place.

Indeed 'tho you can't carry it around with you;!...

A reply to your bit about satellite radio.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
FM stereo compromises audio bandwidth to below what is the norm for
reasonable Hi-Fi equipment.

It does not!, just because it cuts of at 15 kHz rather then 20 kHz is
bugger all to do with it, and you as a sound engineer ought to know
that!..

Well you seem to be throwing specs around as a be all and end all. FM is
*not* a perfect system and never has been.

And this new wonder DAB system eh?.

The Jazz at 128 K Mono.. real new world is that;!...

Well as we used to say when the needle on the korg was at least visible
somewhere on the scale 'good enough for Jazz'

Let's face it, since its all played 'between the notes' by drunken
egotists, the bitrate hardly matters does it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Commercial broadcasters survive by selling advertising. If there was
this great demand for high quality surely one would fulfil that gap?
But I repeat the fact that when DAB used a higher data rate the take up
was poor.

Conkers.. like any new tech the initial take up is poor 'cos the gear
costs too much at first..

CD took off pretty quickly. As did colour TV.

Yes they did as they offered something better Higher quality and
colour!.

Have you ever thought Dave just how many new cars, and trucks, and
lorries are delivered daily without a DAB radio in the dashboard?..

Not that this was "new" tech....

BTW, you missed out FreeView as a source of radio. Cheap hardware and
most have the necessary aerial already in place.

Indeed 'tho you can't carry it around with you;!...

A reply to your bit about satellite radio.

Indeed. But the good old UK has someway to go the match the Germans on
that.. Bayern Klassik 4 and its ilk on 320K MP2 and 440 odd for 5.1
surround sound

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
tony sayer wrote:
FM stereo compromises audio bandwidth to below what is the norm for
reasonable Hi-Fi equipment.

It does not!, just because it cuts of at 15 kHz rather then 20 kHz is
bugger all to do with it, and you as a sound engineer ought to know
that!..
Well you seem to be throwing specs around as a be all and end all. FM is
*not* a perfect system and never has been.

And this new wonder DAB system eh?.

The Jazz at 128 K Mono.. real new world is that;!...

Well as we used to say when the needle on the korg was at least visible
somewhere on the scale 'good enough for Jazz'

Let's face it, since its all played 'between the notes' by drunken
egotists, the bitrate hardly matters does it?

And I suppose a lorra rock on more solid mind altering substances;?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
tony sayer wrote:
FM stereo compromises audio bandwidth to below what is the norm for
reasonable Hi-Fi equipment.

It does not!, just because it cuts of at 15 kHz rather then 20 kHz is
bugger all to do with it, and you as a sound engineer ought to know
that!..
Well you seem to be throwing specs around as a be all and end all. FM is
*not* a perfect system and never has been.

And this new wonder DAB system eh?.

The Jazz at 128 K Mono.. real new world is that;!...

Well as we used to say when the needle on the korg was at least visible
somewhere on the scale 'good enough for Jazz'

Let's face it, since its all played 'between the notes' by drunken
egotists, the bitrate hardly matters does it?

And I suppose a lorra rock on more solid mind altering substances;?....

It's trad, dad. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Have you ever thought Dave just how many new cars, and trucks, and
lorries are delivered daily without a DAB radio in the dashboard?..

Their loss. I'd suggest you try it in a car. It is quite simply miles
better than FM. And that's not just in this part of London.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Have you ever thought Dave just how many new cars, and trucks, and
lorries are delivered daily without a DAB radio in the dashboard?..

Their loss. I'd suggest you try it in a car. It is quite simply miles
better than FM. And that's not just in this part of London.

If its so wonderful I wonder why most all newly supplied cars don't have
it fitted. A serious problem seeing that a lot of radio listening is
done in-car.

And it isn't superb all over the country a lot of the country isn't
served as yet!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Their loss. I'd suggest you try it in a car. It is quite simply miles
better than FM. And that's not just in this part of London.

If its so wonderful I wonder why most all newly supplied cars don't have
it fitted. A serious problem seeing that a lot of radio listening is
done in-car.

Quite simply because car makers fit the cheapest rubbish they can get - in
general.

And it isn't superb all over the country a lot of the country isn't
served as yet!.....

Nor is FM. After 50 years...

The furthest north I've been as yet with the new DAB radio is Lincoln and
the furthest south Brighton. Lincoln I wouldn't expect to be a difficult
reception area, but round the south downs is. It worked extremely well on
the journey to both destinations.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Their loss. I'd suggest you try it in a car. It is quite simply miles
better than FM. And that's not just in this part of London.

If its so wonderful I wonder why most all newly supplied cars don't have
it fitted. A serious problem seeing that a lot of radio listening is
done in-car.

Quite simply because car makers fit the cheapest rubbish they can get - in
general.

Even up market manufactures. Anyways their starting to make AAC chipsets
for the future;!...

And it isn't superb all over the country a lot of the country isn't
served as yet!.....

Nor is FM. After 50 years...

The furthest north I've been as yet with the new DAB radio is Lincoln and
the furthest south Brighton. Lincoln I wouldn't expect to be a difficult
reception area, but round the south downs is. It worked extremely well on
the journey to both destinations.

Good for you .. so why is it a mate of mine complains that his supposed
perfick reception DAB portable Walkman unit doesn't work without a lot
of boiling mud noise around Cambridge serves by a 4 KW TX ?..

BTW how do you defends the DAB club that is too expensive to all but the
biggest broadcasters?..
--
Tony Sayer

DAB aerial Andy Burns UK diy 6 May 12th 07 09:56 PM
DAB aerial Andy Hall UK diy 0 May 12th 07 01:38 PM
DAB aerial Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 May 12th 07 01:24 PM
Dot n Dab Staffbull UK diy 20 October 26th 06 10:33 AM
A Little Dab will Do Ya? Use More Only if I Dare? Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 6 October 26th 05 11:37 PM