Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cylinder Thermostat Wiring

Could someone check the wiring on my evil plan to fit a cylinder thermostat
to a system that doesn't currently have one fitted.

The wiring currently is:

http://www.puppet-head.co.uk/Wiring.jpg

and the pipework is a simple loop through the cylinder that extends through
the heating when the value opens.

Can I just add the thermostat into the line currently shown between 16 and
3 on the diagram, and then join 8 to 3 to enable the heating to work when
the cylinder thermostat is off?

Cheers

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May, 23:08, Steve wrote:

Could someone check the wiring on my evil plan to fit a cylinder thermostat
to a system that doesn't currently have one fitted.

The wiring currently is:

http://www.puppet-head.co.uk/Wiring.jpg

and the pipework is a simple loop through the cylinder that extends through
the heating when the value opens.

Can I just add the thermostat into the line currently shown between 16 and
3 on the diagram, and then join 8 to 3 to enable the heating to work when
the cylinder thermostat is off?

Cheers

Steve

Fitting a thermostat can't achieve that, you'd need to change the
plumbing. But I'm not sure theres much point in doing anything, what
exactly is the problem?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

Could someone check the wiring on my evil plan to fit a cylinder
thermostat to a system that doesn't currently have one fitted.

The wiring currently is:

http://www.puppet-head.co.uk/Wiring.jpg

and the pipework is a simple loop through the cylinder that extends
through the heating when the value opens.

Can I just add the thermostat into the line currently shown between
16 and 3 on the diagram, and then join 8 to 3 to enable the heating
to work when the cylinder thermostat is off?

Cheers

Steve

I struggling a bit to work out just what you've got. What is the valve - is
it a motorised diverter valve which enables you to have CH or HW but not
both at the same time?

If so, what you have is essentially a W-Plan system, and needs to be wired
as per the W-Plan diagram shown at
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

Or is it a gravity HW and pumped CH system? If so, you need to look at the
C-Plan section of the Honeywell page referenced above.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 13:44, "Roger Mills" wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

AIUI he seems to have an older arrangement that is plumbed so that
boiler output always goes thru HW first,. then may or may not go thru
CH circuit. So HW temp is less well controlled than on modern systems.

I'm not clear what problem this is causing. Since an old cylinder will
have relatively low transfer rate, the CH cct will still see hot water
right away, though a bit below peak temp at first. If the HW cyl lacks
a stat then I guess during HW only operation, the pump will keep
running and the boiler stat will control the HW temp. Which seems
quite workable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AIUI he seems to have an older arrangement that is plumbed so that
boiler output always goes thru HW first,. then may or may not go thru
CH circuit. So HW temp is less well controlled than on modern systems.

I'm not clear what problem this is causing. Since an old cylinder will
have relatively low transfer rate, the CH cct will still see hot water
right away, though a bit below peak temp at first. If the HW cyl lacks
a stat then I guess during HW only operation, the pump will keep
running and the boiler stat will control the HW temp. Which seems
quite workable.

NT

So what does the 'valve' do? I presume it would have to direct the output
fom the cylinder either back to the boiler (HW only) or through the
radiators (HW + CH). The mind boggles! Is it likely to be a single pipe CH
system?

The problem with a system like that is that the HW will reach boiler
temperature whenever the CH is on. So it's not possible to control the HW to
60 decC while feeding 80 deg C water to the radiators - you either have
*very* hot HW or coolish radiators.

I presume that the cylinder stat would only be effective in HW-only mode?
Whether the wiring arrangement suggested by the OP would work or not, I
don't know - I guess it may need some additional relay logic.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 18:07:58 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

So what does the 'valve' do? I presume it would have to direct the output
fom the cylinder either back to the boiler (HW only) or through the
radiators (HW + CH). The mind boggles! Is it likely to be a single pipe CH
system?

I'm not sure exactly how the value makes the flow go through the raditors,
it just opens the larger loop. I would have thought that the water would
take the easier route back to the boiler and not go this extra route but it
does.

The problem with a system like that is that the HW will reach boiler
temperature whenever the CH is on. So it's not possible to control the HW to
60 decC while feeding 80 deg C water to the radiators - you either have
*very* hot HW or coolish radiators.

I presume that the cylinder stat would only be effective in HW-only mode?
Whether the wiring arrangement suggested by the OP would work or not, I
don't know - I guess it may need some additional relay logic.

I'm not worried about CH always heating the HW, thats fine, I just want to
cut off the boiler when I don't need it for HW or CH.

Steve

Cylinder thermostat and valve. Matthew UK diy 14 December 7th 06 11:38 AM
Cylinder Thermostat KnobJockey UK diy 6 June 28th 06 12:11 AM
how to replace cylinder thermostat ? keith UK diy 4 March 8th 06 06:12 PM
Missing cylinder thermostat Charlie Pie UK diy 11 December 22nd 04 12:17 PM
RF Cylinder Thermostat Gaz UK diy 25 June 13th 04 05:15 PM