Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside Tap Security Box - Is there such a thing?

Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

Faced with a similar problem, I just put a ball-valve on the feed to the
tap inside the house and I only turn it on when I want to use it.

Roger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 1:32 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

Not exactly what you are asking for but we have a stopcock under the
sink that shuts off the water to our outside tap.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable
security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles
as an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the
house and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and
sending the water meter spinning.

Remove the handle or fit an internal stopcock?

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 May 2007 13:32:55 +0100 someone who may be "TheScullster"
wrote this:-

Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

Presumably you have installed a stopcock inside and a drain
somewhere, so you can drain it down in winter. If so simply only
turn on the tap when necessary.

If you haven't installed these...

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May, 13:32, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

How about a meter box. (as used for gas and electric meters)
It'll the stop oiks and provide a degree of insulation from the cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable
security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles
as an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the
house and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and
sending the water meter spinning.

Remove the handle or fit an internal stopcock?

There is a type with a square peg, shrouded flush by a round tube where the
handle would normally be. The "key" is a normal looking brass tap handle
with a square hole in a round stem. Kinda like an inverse railway carriage
key.

We used to have one on the outside of the block of flats I lived in, for car
washing etc. Good enough to defeat the kids. Try a plumbers merchant maybe?

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:32:55 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable
security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles as
an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the house
and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the
water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

==================================
Try a google for 'tap security', where you'll find a pdf file under
www.arrowvalves.co.uk

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Windows shown the door
===================================

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May, 14:12, David Hansen wrote:

Presumably you have installed a stopcock inside and a drain
somewhere, so you can drain it down in winter. If so simply only
turn on the tap when necessary.

Is a separate drain cock really necessary? I'm planning to drill
through my kitchen wall to install a garden tap sometime soon. I was
planning on the basis that come the winter I would turn off the
service valve inside and then drain the (minimal) external pipework by
opening the tap itself, and leaving it open until the following
spring.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Southerwood writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable
security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles
as an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the
house and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and
sending the water meter spinning.

Remove the handle or fit an internal stopcock?

There is a type with a square peg, shrouded flush by a round tube where the
handle would normally be. The "key" is a normal looking brass tap handle
with a square hole in a round stem. Kinda like an inverse railway carriage
key.

Square key type is the norm for a drain cock and the shroud makes it a
lockshield type.

BS2879 type A has an O-ring on the shaft to stop water ****ing out of the
shaft when there is a hose on the spigot.

That said, drain cocks aren't really meant to be used as taps and can
chatter when used at part load, there are fixes, let me know if anyone
plans to use one (to save me rambling).

We used to have one on the outside of the block of flats I lived in, for car
washing etc. Good enough to defeat the kids. Try a plumbers merchant maybe?

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/098.asp , item 7490 near the bottom of the
page. 1.28 + vat but probably close to a fiver with postage so prob better
sourced locally.

This is what I use at home plus an isolator indoors but sorry Phil for not
answering your original question. If it helps, this solution is pretty
inobtrusive and doesn't attract the attention of the local neds.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/098.asp , item 7490 near the bottom of the
page. 1.28 + vat but probably close to a fiver with postage so prob better
sourced locally.

This is what I use at home plus an isolator indoors but sorry Phil for not
answering your original question. If it helps, this solution is pretty
inobtrusive and doesn't attract the attention of the local neds.

Hi Fred,

No, it wasn't one of those. It was a bona-fide tap, but the top end *was* a
bit like a drain cock, only a fraction bigger/thicker.

I have no idea what they are called though. "Security Tap" maybe... I'll do
some googling later.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 May 2007 17:45:24 UTC, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

On 8 May, 14:12, David Hansen wrote:

Presumably you have installed a stopcock inside and a drain
somewhere, so you can drain it down in winter. If so simply only
turn on the tap when necessary.

Is a separate drain cock really necessary? I'm planning to drill
through my kitchen wall to install a garden tap sometime soon. I was
planning on the basis that come the winter I would turn off the
service valve inside and then drain the (minimal) external pipework by
opening the tap itself, and leaving it open until the following
spring.

That's what I do.

Don't forget the double check valve.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheScullster
writes
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

Tap with a removable handle ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim S
writes
fred wrote:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/098.asp , item 7490 near the bottom of the
page. 1.28 + vat but probably close to a fiver with postage so prob better
sourced locally.

No, it wasn't one of those. It was a bona-fide tap, but the top end *was* a
bit like a drain cock, only a fraction bigger/thicker.

I have no idea what they are called though. "Security Tap" maybe... I'll do
some googling later.

Ah, I sit corrected, I had a little google but nothing showing.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, it wasn't one of those. It was a bona-fide tap, but the top end *was* a
bit like a drain cock, only a fraction bigger/thicker.

I have no idea what they are called though. "Security Tap" maybe... I'll do
some googling later.

Ah, I sit corrected, I had a little google but nothing showing.

As already suggested arrow valves do a lot of security items. This one
is the tap being mentioned I think. I seem to remember them from
school.

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=33

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:14:29 -0700, JohnW wrote:

No, it wasn't one of those. It was a bona-fide tap, but the top end
*was* a bit like a drain cock, only a fraction bigger/thicker.

I have no idea what they are called though. "Security Tap" maybe...
I'll do some googling later.

Ah, I sit corrected, I had a little google but nothing showing.

As already suggested arrow valves do a lot of security items. This one is
the tap being mentioned I think. I seem to remember them from school.

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=33

John

===================================
They also show one built in to a wall which seems a bit over the top when
one considers the more basic solutions suggested here.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

How about using an ordinary brass outdoor tap with the handle removed.
Bring the handle to the tap when you want to use it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May 2007 10:45:24 -0700 someone who may be Martin Pentreath
wrote this:-

Presumably you have installed a stopcock inside and a drain
somewhere, so you can drain it down in winter. If so simply only
turn on the tap when necessary.

Is a separate drain cock really necessary?

Depends on how the pipework is arranged and where the double check
valve is.

Some people don't even bother to turn an external tap off in winter
and get away with it because any ice can expand back inside the
house.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May, 13:32, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

Similar to most othe replies here. When I had the same issue (concern
over stolen water) I fitted an internal service valve. This has the
added advantage of allowing me to drain the outside pipes in winter.

At the end of the day, if someone is determined to steal your water,
and you're away, there's not much that could protect the tap. Anything
wooden or metal could be smashed off with a sledgehammer. Personally I
think you're better off leaving the tap exposed so that any would-be-
scrote can see immediately that it's not working and moves onto the
next house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy.
Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?
I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any
little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter
spinning.

You can get like normal taps that have a padlock fitted. In the last place I
worked gypsies moved into the wasteland next door and ran a hose pipe to the
outside tap in the loading area (bloomin cheek). Next day a tap with a
padlock appeared. Need to remove padlock before you can turn the tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, David Hansen wrote:
Some people don't even bother to turn an external tap off in winter
and get away with it because any ice can expand back inside the
house.

I forgot to turn the outside water off one year and the collar of the
plastic connector burst, resulting in a spectacular fountain. So I
fastened it back together with two nylon cable ties as a temporary
measure. That was about six years ago, and it's still "temporary".

http://www.thedowerhouse.com/temporary.jpg

I like to think that the elasticity of the cable ties makes a future
burst less likely.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, David Hansen wrote:
Some people don't even bother to turn an external tap off in winter
and get away with it because any ice can expand back inside the
house.

I forgot to turn the outside water off one year and the collar of the
plastic connector burst, resulting in a spectacular fountain. So I
fastened it back together with two nylon cable ties as a temporary
measure. That was about six years ago, and it's still "temporary".

http://www.thedowerhouse.com/temporary.jpg

I like to think that the elasticity of the cable ties makes a future
burst less likely.

Nice one. I would call it "semi-permanent engineering".

I bet you replace the part for £2 when you want to sell the house to make an
impression on prospective buyers and never get your moneys worth out of the
new part.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Tim
Southerwood writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable
security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles
as an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the
house and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and
sending the water meter spinning.
Remove the handle or fit an internal stopcock?

There is a type with a square peg, shrouded flush by a round tube where the
handle would normally be. The "key" is a normal looking brass tap handle
with a square hole in a round stem. Kinda like an inverse railway carriage
key.

Square key type is the norm for a drain cock and the shroud makes it a
lockshield type.

Having spent the best part of the day running round loosening and
tightening drain cocks and radiator bleed valves, I was just wondering -
is there a key available which fits the drain cocks to put in my pocket
along with the bleed valve key?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:42:44 +0000, Lobster wrote:

fred wrote:
In article , Tim Southerwood
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

It depends on what you're already using.

The nearest I've come to such a thing is a double ended brake adjusting
spanner with a square rather than hexagon - different sizes on each end.
Look at the top spanner in this pictu

http://www.eurocarparts.com/sealey/images/VS026.jpg

You'll probably get one at Halfords, but if all else fails I think an 8mm
open ended spanner will do the job.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:42:44 GMT, Lobster
mused:

fred wrote:
In article , Tim
Southerwood writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Yep. Sure any decent plumbers merchants should have one. My Dad had a
triple pronged one with 3 sized fittings on it for different things.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 19:22:16 +0100, Lurch wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:42:44 GMT, Lobster
mused:

fred wrote:
In article , Tim
Southerwood writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Also the "meter box key" from screwfix fits both drain off points and
bleed points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?

This looks like it's exactly what you asked for:

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=73

and this IMO looks interesting:

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=24
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 May 2007 00:15:39 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

TheScullster wrote:

Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap
(preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)?

This looks like it's exactly what you asked for:

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=73

and this IMO looks interesting:

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=24

I spotted this on their site (which I did not know):

The minimum level of protection required for a HU tap in a house
garden is a Double Check Valve. HU taps incorporating two check
valves cartridges (now described as HUK1) are no longer acceptable for
new exterior installations. This design is prone to frost damage so
the regulations now require a Double Check Valve to be provided
upstream of the HU tap inside the thermal envelope of the building
(where applicable) and protected from freezing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote

The minimum level of protection required for a HU tap in a house
garden is a Double Check Valve. HU taps incorporating two check
valves cartridges (now described as HUK1) are no longer acceptable for
new exterior installations. This design is prone to frost damage so
the regulations now require a Double Check Valve to be provided
upstream of the HU tap inside the thermal envelope of the building
(where applicable) and protected from freezing.

Thanks Mike

Picked that up just 1 day too late.
Don't intend re-working the piping again to add an internal check valve.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:18:53 UTC, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"mike" wrote

The minimum level of protection required for a HU tap in a house
garden is a Double Check Valve. HU taps incorporating two check
valves cartridges (now described as HUK1) are no longer acceptable for
new exterior installations. This design is prone to frost damage so
the regulations now require a Double Check Valve to be provided
upstream of the HU tap inside the thermal envelope of the building
(where applicable) and protected from freezing.

Thanks Mike

Picked that up just 1 day too late.
Don't intend re-working the piping again to add an internal check valve.

I did mention it six days ago...unless you mean you fitted one
externally.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote

Picked that up just 1 day too late.
Don't intend re-working the piping again to add an internal check valve.

I did mention it six days ago...unless you mean you fitted one
externally.

I did read your post, Bob, but understood that your were referring to the
double check valve arrangement within modern outside taps.
These I was aware of and have fitted a suitably specified tap.
The requirement that a separate device should be fitted internally instead
due to concerns over frost failure is news to me though.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 13:40:11 UTC, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote

Picked that up just 1 day too late.
Don't intend re-working the piping again to add an internal check valve.

I did mention it six days ago...unless you mean you fitted one
externally.

I did read your post, Bob, but understood that your were referring to the
double check valve arrangement within modern outside taps.
These I was aware of and have fitted a suitably specified tap.
The requirement that a separate device should be fitted internally instead
due to concerns over frost failure is news to me though.

News to me too! As it happens, that's what I have here anyway....!

http://www.diybanter.com