Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Screwdriver

Huge wrote:
My 20 y/o B&D electric screwdriver has finally given up the ghost. The battery
was starting to fail to hold charge, and then at the weekend, the switch broke,
so although I can drive screws in with it, I can't take them out!

So ... I need a replacement.

Any recommendations?

What's this Bosch 10.8V Li-ion likely to be like?

I've been very impressed by the new crop power screwdrivers. I haven't
played with that particular Bosch, but I have played with a similar one,
and it was nice.

I have one of these:

for the size, they're great. The torque output is quite modest, but I
only use it for spinning really, not for high torque applications.

What do you mainly to use it for?

(I need a new cordless drill, too. The el-cheapo Wicks special has lunched
its batteries after less than a year, and I've bent something in it anyway
so the chuck doesn't rotate true...)

That's easy:

Grunff
Diamagnetic Levitation:
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211095
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

What do you mainly to use it for?

Driving screws? )

:-)

I tend to use my cordless screwdriver for little things, like equipment
cases, furniture assembly etc. Anything which requires any torque, and I
get the cordless drill out.

Light/medium DIY. Handyman stuff. I wouldn't take on a new roof or
similar. (Amusing sidenote; I got collared for a survey at a local
DIY shed. One of the questions was "Would you take on a large DIY
job such as hanging a door?" Large? Hanging a door? I regard that as
trivial.)

Quite.

Hmmm, whilst I honestly believe that money spent on decent tools is
not wasted, 250 quid was rather more money that I wanted to spend. What
about half that?

Also easy:

Fantastic drill for the money, worth £150 easily.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic Levitation:
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211095
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-08, Grunff wrote:
Huge wrote:
My 20 y/o B&D electric screwdriver has finally given up the ghost. The battery
was starting to fail to hold charge, and then at the weekend, the switch broke,
so although I can drive screws in with it, I can't take them out!

So ... I need a replacement.

Any recommendations?

What's this Bosch 10.8V Li-ion likely to be like?

I've been very impressed by the new crop power screwdrivers. I haven't
played with that particular Bosch, but I have played with a similar one,
and it was nice.

I have one of these:

for the size, they're great. The torque output is quite modest, but I
only use it for spinning really, not for high torque applications.

What do you mainly to use it for?

Driving screws? )

(Sorry)

Light/medium DIY. Handyman stuff. I wouldn't take on a new roof or
similar. (Amusing sidenote; I got collared for a survey at a local
DIY shed. One of the questions was "Would you take on a large DIY
job such as hanging a door?" Large? Hanging a door? I regard that as
trivial.)

(I need a new cordless drill, too. The el-cheapo Wicks special has lunched
its batteries after less than a year, and I've bent something in it anyway
so the chuck doesn't rotate true...)

That's easy:

Hmmm, whilst I honestly believe that money spent on decent tools is
not wasted, 250 quid was rather more money that I wanted to spend. What
about half that?

Makita 14.4v job.

An excellent workhorse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also easy:http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...23716&ts=21081

Fantastic drill for the money, worth £150 easily.

Saw one of these at my local Screwfix trade counter on Saturday. I'd
say it's price point was about right at 90 quid. It certainly didn't
feel to have the build quality I would expect for the original list
price. I was umming and ahhing about buying one (and gaining the
advantage of fresh cells) - or buying a naked bosch combi and using my
existing 14.4v bosch cells. I bought a naked bosch unit off ebay (for
70 quid) and the build quality is quite a bit better than the Hitachi.
I know that's not a one for one comparison - but I don't think this
was ever really a "170 quid of value" product.