Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to glue/jam a loose barrel nut (screwed into wood)?

Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood.

Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I
have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and
"lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place.

Suggestions/Experience

--
zzapper
Best of VimTips

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zzapper wrote:
Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

Does it look like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...57974&id=28157

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 18:01, zzapper wrote:

Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood.

Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I
have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and
"lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place.

Suggestions/Experience

car body filler is much cheaper.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zzapper wrote:
Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood.

Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I
have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and
"lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place.

Car Body Filler!

Suggestions/Experience

--
zzapper
Best of VimTips
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 18:13, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
zzapperwrote:
Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

Does it look like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...57974&id=28157

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Yep that's the critter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 19:14, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On 7 May 2007 11:06:59 -0700, wrote:

|!On 7 May, wrote:
|!
|! Hi,
|! I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
|! into a barrel nut in each corner.
|!
|! The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood.
|!
|! Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I
|! have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and
|! "lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Tap out the nut to make sure it is still OK.
Cross threading b*gg*rs nuts

|! Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place.
|!
|! Suggestions/Experience
|!
|!car body filler is much cheaper.

Make sure you do not get araldite/filler in the thread.

--
Dave Fawthrop

Yep
That's a problem it's such a small item, i'd need to grease the inner
thread while the outer was kept clean

--
zzapper
Best of VimTips
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
zzapperwrote:
Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

Does it look like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...57974&id=28157

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Dave
Yes that's it (this msg may appear twice sorry)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
zzapperwrote:
Hi,
I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws
into a barrel nut in each corner.

Does it look like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...57974&id=28157

Yep that's the critter

Does the bolt go through the wood and then into the fitting? Or straight
into the fitting? In other words will doing up the bolt pull it further
into the wood or out of it?

If the former glue will do it.

Stick an allen key in the end to prevent glue getting on the thread.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman