Evon Barvinchack

Default loose wood joints

Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes. Then
inserting it into the mortise? This is a very old chair makers trick. I used
it many times and had very few failures. I make the mortise 1/16 - 1/8"
smaller that the tendon.

Evon

Lee Michaels

"Evon Barvinchack" wrote in message
k.net...
Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes.
Then
inserting it into the mortise? This is a very old chair makers trick. I
used
it many times and had very few failures. I make the mortise 1/16 - 1/8"
smaller that the tendon.

Evon, just a note. A tendon is a hunk of flesh. Specifically it is something
that attaches the muscle to a bone. It is connective tissue.

I think that you are referring to a tenon.

The only reason I mention this is the horrible visual I got from you placing
a screaming person or his severed limb into hot sand.

I'm not hungry any more.

alexy

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Evon Barvinchack" wrote in message
nk.net...
Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes.
Then
inserting it into the mortise? This is a very old chair makers trick. I
used
it many times and had very few failures. I make the mortise 1/16 - 1/8"
smaller that the tendon.

Evon, just a note. A tendon is a hunk of flesh. Specifically it is something
that attaches the muscle to a bone. It is connective tissue.

I think that you are referring to a tenon.

The only reason I mention this is the horrible visual I got from you placing
a screaming person or his severed limb into hot sand.

I'm not hungry any more.

LOL! Better than removing waist with a chisel.
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:59:08 GMT, "Evon Barvinchack"
wrote:

Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes. Then
inserting it into the mortise?

Yes, I've done this with round tenons on Windsor chairs. Seemed to work
pretty well.
George

wrote:

Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes.

Then
inserting it into the mortise?

Yes, I've done this with round tenons on Windsor chairs. Seemed to work
pretty well.

As I understand, it works even better if a spoon bit was used, and the
mortice slightly undercut by wobbling at the end. Reduce the diameter at
the shoulder of the tenon and get a bit of ball-in-socket effect.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:17:06 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Yes, I've done this with round tenons on Windsor chairs. Seemed to work
pretty well.

As I understand, it works even better if a spoon bit was used, and the
mortice slightly undercut by wobbling at the end.

These were blind tenons where the rails went into the legs. As there was
no chance of wedging them and the timber was all equally dry, a blast of
extra drying on the tenons seemed like a good idea.

Where the legs went into the seat, they were drilled with a tapered
spoon bit and wedged right across.