Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive for ceramic floor tiles

I am about to retile the kitchen/utility floor with new ceramic tiles. The
old ones have been removed and levelling compound applied. My question, is
there any advantage in choosing between ready mixed adhesive or the mix it
yourself type. I appreciate that the premixed will be more expensive I am
more concerned about the quality of the adhesive.

Thanks

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Klyne wrote:
I am about to retile the kitchen/utility floor with new ceramic tiles. The
old ones have been removed and levelling compound applied. My question, is
there any advantage in choosing between ready mixed adhesive or the mix it
yourself type. I appreciate that the premixed will be more expensive I am
more concerned about the quality of the adhesive.

I've had good results with both types. They have different properties,
and work better in different situations.

If you're tiling onto a solid floor (as opposed to say floorboards), a
cement based adhesive will work well. These tend to be the mix it
yourself type. I've used BAL cement adhesive with good results.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic Levitation:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Klyne wrote:
I am about to retile the kitchen/utility floor with new ceramic tiles. The
old ones have been removed and levelling compound applied. My question, is
there any advantage in choosing between ready mixed adhesive or the mix it
yourself type. I appreciate that the premixed will be more expensive I am
more concerned about the quality of the adhesive.

Very much so. The setting rather than drying sort are FAR stronger. Do
not use ready mixed for floors.

Thanks

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And what is best for ceramic tiling over boards?
Our kitchen was done nicely with cement based adhesives and grout. After a
couple of years most are loose as a result of both the flexing of the boards
and the drying effect from ch pipes that run under the floor. The tiles are
still in place, and it is not much of an inconvenience, but what should have
been used by the contractor?

Cheers

David Klyne wrote:
I am about to retile the kitchen/utility floor with new ceramic tiles.
The old ones have been removed and levelling compound applied. My
question, is there any advantage in choosing between ready mixed adhesive
or the mix it yourself type. I appreciate that the premixed will be more
expensive I am more concerned about the quality of the adhesive.

Very much so. The setting rather than drying sort are FAR stronger. Do not
use ready mixed for floors.

Thanks

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve H wrote:
And what is best for ceramic tiling over boards?
Our kitchen was done nicely with cement based adhesives and grout. After a
couple of years most are loose as a result of both the flexing of the boards
and the drying effect from ch pipes that run under the floor. The tiles are
still in place, and it is not much of an inconvenience, but what should have
been used by the contractor?

A thick bed of flexible cement, but you have to stabilise the surface
first, which is why one always is recommended to screw waterproof ply
over the lot before starting. And only a certain amount of flexure can
be catered for anyway..sometimes you have to remove floor boards and
stiffen up the joists first.

how to remove cement / adhesive from ceramic tile before re-attaching it to floor Alan Home Repair 10 December 18th 08 04:38 AM
wall tile adhesive for floor tiles? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 05 12:17 PM
removal of ceramic floor tiles. peter t UK diy 1 March 16th 05 06:03 PM
Ceramic floor tiles Terry D UK diy 0 May 18th 04 04:47 PM
Adhesive colour for floor tiles? Greg UK diy 7 September 12th 03 07:21 PM